By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Post holiday WiiU sales are lagging, wii sales now hurting WiiU.

the_dengle said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
What games does the Wii U even have coming out this year? Bayonetta and Pikmin? Lets hope they have a stellar E3.

Rayman Legends, Wonderful 101, LEGO City Stories, Pikmin 3, Wii Fit U, Aliens Colonial Marines, Dragon Quest X (in Japan), Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Game & Wario, Need for Speed Most Wanted. All before E3. Bayonetta likely not within the next 6 months.

My faith is restored......I think. 2013 is definitely and purely between Microsoft and Sony now.

Around the Network

Nice spin, guys. Its still far too early (this week still includes Christmas Eve), we can judge in 4 months time.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

KungKras said:
Metallicube said:
Let's calm ourselves Nintendo haters, we're still unsure on the shipments of the Wii U, and the console has yet to have a major title released for it aside from NSMB U. There is still Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Wii Fit, Pikmin 3, and Lego City stories this year alone, with the inevitable 3D Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart to follow.

Remember, PS3 was outsold by the GBA for awhile during its early years, and even the now massive DS was originally outsold by the PSP in its first year or so. 360 also got off to a pretty slow start, despite being the only next gen console for a whole year. With the exception of the Wii, and to a lesser extent the PS2, almost every console needs some time to build momentum.

Don't forget that Nintendo land was expected to be the "Wii Sports" of the Wii U. Wich it isn't, Nintendo needs to make a real Wii sports sequel ASAP.

These 'meh' sales are worrying, becasuse third parties will use any excuse to not support Nintendo consoles. So the momentum of the platform is more vurnerable than it needs to be.

I never expected Nintendo Land to get near the success of Wii Sports, though then again few games have. I do agree Nintendo needs a game like Wii Sports to ignite interest and again reach the mass market, but a sequel to Wii Sports itself IMO won't do it. They'll instead need a game LIKE Wii Sports that carries the same spirit, and brings a new audience.

I'm pretty convinced at this point that no amount of sales for a Nintendo console will convince third parties. Wii at one point outsold the HD twins COMBINED by a large amount and one month sold 4.3 million units, yet still nothing changed. So sales don't really matter in that respect as third parties won't support them regardless. I've given up on third parties on Nintendo consoles, and I have a feeling Nintendo has too. Luckily for Nintendo their games are strong enough that they don't really need third party support. They've shown they can sell 100 million without it.

KungKras said:
Metallicube said:
Let's calm ourselves Nintendo haters, we're still unsure on the shipments of the Wii U, and the console has yet to have a major title released for it aside from NSMB U. There is still Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Wii Fit, Pikmin 3, and Lego City stories this year alone, with the inevitable 3D Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros, and Mario Kart to follow.

Remember, PS3 was outsold by the GBA for awhile during its early years, and even the now massive DS was originally outsold by the PSP in its first year or so. 360 also got off to a pretty slow start, despite being the only next gen console for a whole year. With the exception of the Wii, and to a lesser extent the PS2, almost every console needs some time to build momentum.

Don't forget that Nintendo land was expected to be the "Wii Sports" of the Wii U. Wich it isn't, Nintendo needs to make a real Wii sports sequel ASAP.

These 'meh' sales are worrying, becasuse third parties will use any excuse to not support Nintendo consoles. So the momentum of the platform is more vurnerable than it needs to be.

Exactly. Nintendo better pander to the casuals because they aren't going to win any hardcore battle with Microsoft and Sony. They played it smart and came out on top with their last console. I suggest they follow suit and commercialize the hell out of it.

Conegamer said:
Nice spin, guys. Its still far too early (this week still includes Christmas Eve), we can judge in 4 months time.

Theres no spin. Even on Bonus Round they were talking about waiting on Nintendos big trick up their sleeve because the majority of the primary buyers of the Wii U  are hardcore Nintendo fans. We need to see what their plans are for the casuals or else.

Around the Network
Metallicube said:
KungKras said:
Metallicube said:

I never expected Nintendo Land to get near the success of Wii Sports, though then again few games have. I do agree Nintendo needs a game like Wii Sports to ignite interest and again reach the mass market, but a sequel to Wii Sports itself IMO won't do it. They'll instead need a game LIKE Wii Sports that carries the same spirit, and brings a new audience.

I'm pretty convinced at this point that no amount of sales for a Nintendo console will convince third parties. Wii at one point outsold the HD twins COMBINED by a large amount and one month sold 4.3 million units, yet still nothing changed. So sales don't really matter in that respect as third parties won't support them regardless. I've given up on third parties on Nintendo consoles, and I have a feeling Nintendo has too. Luckily for Nintendo their games are strong enough that they don't really need third party support. They've shown they can sell 100 million without it.

What type of convincing should Nintendo give to the third parties? I really want to hear this, because it will take a complete paradigm shift. Nintendo is and for the better party of a long time will be in Nintendo land and most devs are not and do not want to be.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Conegamer said:

Theres no spin. Even on Bonus Round they were talking about waiting on Nintendos big trick up their sleeve because the majority of the primary buyers of the Wii U  are hardcore Nintendo fans. We need to see what their plans are for the casuals or else.

The spin is assuming these sales are post-holiday and as such the pattern will hold throughout the year, when this is not the case. You also forget that the Wii U is trending very similarly to the Wii everywhere bar Europe (dunno what's happened here, this is a problem), and so much higher overall than the PS360. This is not unusual, far from it. It's better than normal, if anything. But with poor sales in Europe, it can cause concern. When this is rectified I see little to stop the Wii U, even if it falls short of its predecessor.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Metallicube said:

I'm pretty convinced at this point that no amount of sales for a Nintendo console will convince third parties. Wii at one point outsold the HD twins COMBINED by a large amount and one month sold 4.3 million units, yet still nothing changed. So sales don't really matter in that respect. I've given up on third parties on Nintendo consoles, and I have a feeling Nintendo has too. Luckily for Nintendo their games are strong enough that they don't really need third party support. They've shown they can sell 100 million without it.

Nintendo could carry a platform on its own with the Wii. But that was when games like Zelda TP, and the motion controls were super hyped. I have to say that I don't trust Nintendo's competence to replicate the Wii phenomenon on their own, at least not with the Wii U. Aonuma's direction is making the Zelda brand slowly rot away and other franchises aren't doing much better. To me it seems like Twilight princess and Skyward Sword has really hurt the Zelda brand. The minimal effort and lack of new content in the 2D Mario games are hurting that series too. Smash Bros is being outsourced. 3D Mario being mutated to try and replace 2D Mario is making it appeal to even fewer people. And don't get me started on Metroid.

I remember, that even though analysts and industry twats hated the Wii since the very beginning, regular people talked about it a lot, and I saw incredible potential. My gut feeling about the Wii U when it was revealed was very different, and regular people aren't talking about it, and there is this confusion about it being a new controller.

I am very worried about Nintendo's future with the consoles, and it's a damn shame because I don't think the third party industry would have survived if they ignored another Wii phenomenon. One thing that the Wii U does right though is being controller-agnostic, that is going to make it's sucess all about the games, third parties can make games for the controller they want, and Nintendo could theoretically re-enter the Wii path on it should they come to their senses. I think the performane of Wii Fit U will be extremely important.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Conegamer said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Conegamer said:

The spin is assuming these sales are post-holiday and as such the pattern will hold throughout the year, when this is not the case. You also forget that the Wii U is trending very similarly to the Wii everywhere bar Europe (dunno what's happened here, this is a problem), and so much higher overall than the PS360. This is not unusual, far from it. It's better than normal, if anything. But with poor sales in Europe, it can cause concern. When this is rectified I see little to stop the Wii U, even if it falls short of its predecessor.

On Bonus Round most of the analysts were saying its mostly the hardcore fans buying the consoles right now but the marketing needs to change.  Anyway, lets see how these Nintendo Wii level sales pan out, because without the Wii mote being the main attraction with Wii Sports and something gimmicky, they will not see the same results. 

Cacrowe119 said:
Going by the numbers PS3 took a much bigger drop than the Wii U did but nice try on the spin. Everyone knows sales drop after the holidays. A drop from 300k to 200k to me sounds better than a drop from 900k to 300k per week.

Obviously, PS3's numbers were twice of the WiiU's, it's kinda obvious it would drop harder.