By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The official No More Heroes Thread

I'm very surprise by the reviews of No More Heroes has gotten so far in the 9's and a 5 out of 5 from X-Play. I was thinking most of the review scores were going to be in the 8's, 4 out of 5's, or in the mid 80's of being an great 3rd party game from Duda51 and all but, not that great. Right now, it's still to early of what is the outcome of other reviewers will score on this bizarre Suda51 game(in a good bizarre way).

I'm getting this game no matter what the outcome is. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

My Mains in Brawl

Around the Network
Parokki said:
I'm finding it pretty amusing how the reviewers I generally respect the most have been giving NMH a relatively low score (8.2, 7.8), but the ones I couldn't give a toss for are rating it much higher (9.0, 9.0).

I guess this shows the game is a serious case of love-or-meh. Lots of style and awesomeness, not to mention pretty decent gameplay, but also a pile of minor flaws.

In other words, pretty much what I was hoping for. Definitely still buying as soon as it arrives to the civilized world.

Actually, and I'm not trying to be a fanboy here, I'm the exact opposite.

I've always thought of IGN as a joke, since they gave God Hand(one of my favs) a 3/10, and I've always thought that their reviews of some games shouldn't be taken seriously, because they tend to be way too high.

I also didn't even know Gametrailers reviewed games on a regular basis, until this.

As for Gamespot, Edge magazine, Xplay, Famitsu, Gamerankings compilation scores, I've went by them for years, and I've never been steered wrong.

Add to that, the fact that about 90 percent of the reviewers so far have given the game, well, 90 percent, and I just can't see how the game has as big of a "pile of flaws" as most people assume.

That said, I really do honestly think that every person who doesn't want any Wii game to be a success, is flocking to the IGN reviews bandwagon. They refuse to believe the game is as good, or better than Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, or Mass Effect. Why? Plain and simple, graphics, and anti-Wii bias.

I mean, IGN just gave Endless Ocean an 8/10. Since you respect them so much, do you agree that Endless Ocean is better than Assassin's Creed, which scored a 7.7(lower than No More Heroes)?

IGN's reviews are wildly different and speculative depending on which reviewer actually reviews the game, unlike Edge, Gamespot, or even Xplay, there is no consistancy or comparitive reviewing. It's on a case by case basis, and is heavily influenced by an opinion and not a set of conditions. Generally, unprofessional reviewing. How can anyone respect that?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I wouldn't trade NMH for any other console exclusive, including MGS4 or new FF. NMH is Pulp Fiction of the games world. It's pure bliss, my personal nirvana. Even if IGN gave it 1.2 i wouldn't care.

What I can't believe is that IGN gave Scarface a 8.5. I did not think ign was well respected at all, they also gave resistance a 9 and called it a killer-app, What? Medal of honour heroes 2 got a 8.4 from them, Manhunt 2 got a 7.7 and this only gets a 7.8? I think ign reviews are not good at all. (always to focussed on the technical site of the games, rating a game lower because it doesn't support 480p is wrong imo)

I think that IGN focused waaay too much on the sandox aspect of the game, which isn't as important for NGH as is for games like GTA

Around the Network

I like the content of IGN's reviews (scores don't really mean anything, anywhere) the best. I'm anxious to pick this up today, but it's nice that in the sincere desire for the Wii (and esp 3rd-party) games to succeed they didn't give it an auto win OMG 9.5/10 just for being interesting.

I'm a lot more excited to play this than the recycled garbage the industry keeps churning out, manufactured to get high scores.

To be fair, IGN gave Assassin's Creed 7.7 (Xbox 360, 7.5 PS3). Once again, their main complaint was that though the game was in parts great, there were both technical and gameplay issues. Same sort of thing here. I think I will still pick up NMHs but do we really just want the game reviewers to turn into "pat on the back" bots? I would prefer to know what is bad about a game before picking it up rather than finding it out once I own it.

I do sometimes feel that the big sites (IGN, Gamespot, etc.) tend to be very inconsistent in their reviews, though.

If we're still hung up on the IGN score, you should listen to them talk about the game in their pod casts as well. They generally really love the game for it's insane style, and I have a feeling that it will be a game they regard highly during the Wii's lifespan. They just gave it a rating that took into account it's faults. There's nothing wrong with that.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

weezy said:

http://nomoreheroesgame.us.ubi.com/index.php

Must..have.

Edit wait a second..the dudes name is Travis Touchdown......rofl wtf

You can't get more American than Travis Touchdown.  The name is badass.

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

Actually, and I'm not trying to be a fanboy here, I'm the exact opposite.

You are a fan of a console and attacking people who make comments you dislike about it.  I'd say you qualify for that monicker.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

I've always thought of IGN as a joke, since they gave God Hand(one of my favs) a 3/10, and I've always thought that their reviews of some games shouldn't be taken seriously, because they tend to be way too high.

So, you made a generalization about all their reviews because they gave a low score to a game you like.  Does one review you disagree with make a wide generalization such this valid in your opinion?

ZenfoldorVGI said:

I also didn't even know Gametrailers reviewed games on a regular basis, until this.

You argue about what sites' reviews are the most worthwhile and you don't even know something as basic as this?

ZenfoldorVGI said:

As for Gamespot, Edge magazine, Xplay, Famitsu, Gamerankings compilation scores, I've went by them for years, and I've never been steered wrong.

So you've never seen a single review in those sources that you dislike or that conflict with each other?  You dislike IGN for a single bad review according to the above so is the reader to assume that all of these publications have reviewed games exactly alike and exactly coincide with your interests?

ZenfoldorVGI said:

Add to that, the fact that about 90 percent of the reviewers so far have given the game, well, 90 percent, and I just can't see how the game has as big of a "pile of flaws" as most people assume.

How can someone who only recently just learned of Gametrailers reviews make any kind of valid claim about "90 percent of the reviewers?"

ZenfoldorVGI said:

That said, I really do honestly think that every person who doesn't want any Wii game to be a success, is flocking to the IGN reviews bandwagon. They refuse to believe the game is as good, or better than Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, or Mass Effect. Why? Plain and simple, graphics, and anti-Wii bias.

What's wrong with disliking Wii-level graphics anyway?  Some people dislike the idea of a dohc in their car but that doesn't make those people or dohc's bad.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

I mean, IGN just gave Endless Ocean an 8/10. Since you respect them so much, do you agree that Endless Ocean is better than Assassin's Creed, which scored a 7.7(lower than No More Heroes)?

Do you find it so unbelievable that someone might just like Endless Ocean more than Assassin's Creed?  How about that different reviewers place different priorities on certain game attributes, would that shock you as well?

ZenfoldorVGI said:

IGN's reviews are wildly different and speculative depending on which reviewer actually reviews the game, unlike Edge, Gamespot, or even Xplay, there is no consistancy or comparitive reviewing. It's on a case by case basis, and is heavily influenced by an opinion and not a set of conditions. Generally, unprofessional reviewing. How can anyone respect that?

So are you saying that all of the above sources are always consistent themselves?  Do you have proof?

While you are entitled to your opinions, not all of your opinions are equally well supported.