By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The official No More Heroes Thread

^yes i played it a little too,too bad i have to wait a while till i could get it

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

http://insomnia.ac/reviews/wii/nomoreheroes/

let's just say, it appears not everyone likes this game.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

omgwtfbbq said:
http://insomnia.ac/reviews/wii/nomoreheroes/

let's just say, it appears not everyone likes this game.

The fact that he's comparing it to Grand Theft Auto i think proves he missed the point.

Well that and saying comparing Videogames is a technical matter. If he thought that why would he even want to play a Wii game?

To be expected though.  There is a reason why some games are cult games.  The reason that usually goes over most peoples heads.  It's not about how good something is technicially or at anything.  It's how much fun you have with it when you let go.  

Like any cult movie really. 

Yeah everything I have read says that the open environment sections aren't the star of the show. The story missions are where its at. Still though he does bring up some points that have me concerned a bit and tbh I'm not 100% sold on this game yet...then again I'm also not that big on anime so there is probably a connection there.

One thing is for sure though, I am definitely intrigued by the game and want to at least try it for myself.

To Each Man, Responsibility

I went to buy it yesterday but the EB games guy said it got bumped back to Feburary 1 in Canada. I bought zack and wiki instead.

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
Early impressions, 2 hours and change in: Pros: 1. Combat generally works very well and is a lot of fun, making it a combo of button pressing and some slashing is way better than what all motion controls would have been. Not necessarily very deep combat, but very entertaining and easy to get the hang of (don't skip the tutorial). 2. This is one funny game and there are very few games that make me laugh so this is a big plus. 3. Lots of side stuff to do other than the main hits (jobs, side hits, weapon upgrades, collectibles). 4. Dialogue and voice acting work perfectly for the cheesy, tongue in cheek story (ies). Cons: 1. Sometimes remote gestures or even button presses don't register (bike parts and finishing moves). This is not a huge deal in the main missions (so far), but gets annoying in training. Some mini games control badly, but it's manageable. 2. More jaggies than in any game I have seen on the Wii, pop in frequent even at few feet away. Continued on next post.

I agree with you on the the Pros so I won't say anything else on those. (6th ranked after 6 hours)

Cons:

1. I have had a few times where a move doesn't register, but those a few an far between.  Usually I have the oppisite happen, it ask for an upslash I do a down slash, and it still works.

2. Haven't noticed them but I will take you word for it.

ckmlb said:
3. Overworld feels dead (few cars, few people and nothing going on). 4. Easy, maybe too easy (up to now)? But it's almost guaranteed I'll replay this game on mild difficulty after completion. Overall it's extremely fun, made me laugh several times, has great eccentric characters and is seriously different (in a very good way) from anything out there. Highlight so far (skip if you want a surprise): Hitting a baseball through lined up baseball players with the beam katana and watch them explode into blood. I gotta tell you it beats Wii baseball :)

3. I agree with this.  I wish they added more people. (and gave you points or money for running them down)

4. I acktually like that the game is easy on the "sweet" setting.  It gives me a chance to get through the story without getting stuck on one boss for to long.  Although I do hope that the "mild setting is signifently hard.

One of the little things that I real like in the game is when someone calls your cellphone, you hear it through the Wiimote.

All in all, I really love this game.

So, Game Informer dragged NMH metacritic score to mid 80's with their 6/10 rated review, altho i think they needed to argument the score better (too short review).

http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/8EA1A326-9F44-4637-97A7-DFDDA49E73F2.htm

ZenfoldorVGI said:

Oh, WoW, you misunderstand me. I'm not trying to be a fanboy, I'm just keeping the Wiibashers at bay. Nobody so far who has flamed NMH has been a Wii fanboy. 99.9 percent of them are doing it just to anger Wii fanboys. I'm simply a voice to respond, because the game is great, and a lof of people who usually get away with passive-agressively flaming it, I just can't allow to go unresponded too. If you don't wanna get corrected, then don't say silly things, imo.

I just used one example of why IGN is considered a joke, by me. There are several more, within the industry, but on the whole, IGN is one of the least respected review sites on the web, right next to 1up. Do I have proof? How can you prove a common belief? By using anecdotal examples? Nope. That's why I said "in my opinion," or "I've always thought," because I don't feel the need to prove my, not opinion, but belief, is correct. I know it is, but I add "in my opinion" for common courtesy. You flamed me for it.

It's ironic that you flame me for not being certain that the great news source, but mediocre and completely lesser known gametrailers has reviews of most games, yet you assume that IGN is a respectible review site? Is that really how you operate? Start off all high and mighty, and then sink to what you percieve is "my level" at the first chance you get? They're releatively new, and haven't had a chance to prove themselves. Nobody shops for reviews exclusively at their site, except possibly their forum community, because they(gametrailers.com reviewers) have yet to prove themselves.

Your next sentence all but confronts the Wii haters and justifies their position based on...graphics. Is that why your against No More Heroes contined success, all because of graphics? I refuse to comment on that. Graphics are cosmetic and just about as meaningless as any aspect of gaming can get. Its fitting that the IGN review docked the most points for graphics, in its review. It's laughable, imo, but you'll probably flame me for having an opinion.

As for "Endless Ocean," well, most people hate that game. I've never played it, but I assume it's probably pretty good. If we're going by the "I doubts" as in, you doubt NMH is a 9/10, then I doubt Endless Ocean is better than Assassin's Creed, but hey, whatever. Probably both good games. Point is, all Wii haters would agree that AC is better than EE, yet when IGN is unfavorable to a Wii game, its their new hero website and it's the only one thats right, even though its completely contrary to popular opinion(and I can prove that)? Can we really allow them to have it both ways?

I realize I can't prove my deductions, otherwise they would be not deductions, but evidence. I have weaker arguments and stronger arguments, but in the end, I'm just stating my opinion, like everyone else. I'm sorry if it offends, but I have to state it as well as I possibly can, or there is no reason for me to post at all. I stand by everything I've said.

You might want to know that some members of this site have done a statistical analysis of review sites and the scores they assign. IGN was found to be one of the least deviate from the mean of all scores for all platforms. They're demonstrably unbiased when compared to sites that tend to score games from one platform up or down five percent from the mean.

In other words, our opinion of IGN is backed up by some facts, not gut instincts, or anecdotes based on what we've read from other people on the internets.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Well, looks like this game isn't out in Canada yet. The folks at EB say that it has a dummy release date if Feb 1st, but it could come out pretty much any time in February.

Units diverted to satisfy US demand?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.