By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Halo 4 sells more in 7 weeks than GT:5 sold in its first year

CGI-Quality said:
sales2099 said:
CGI-Quality said:
sales2099 said:

My sig merely shows that in 2012, as well as the years 2007, 2009, and 2011, Forza is the higher selling IP between the two. I know, unthinkable stuff ;)

This has nothing to do with my sig, I was just addressing your compulsive need to make PS3 fans out to be angels.

You really are reaching with this. One-on-one, released on the same day, no Forza game would outsell GT. Ever. Why you choose to spin data the way you do is anyone's guess, but I would advise acceptance in this. 

Then id have to settle for the quality argument. But Ip sales are frankly underated. I think its important. One on one is just describing one moment essentially. IP generation sales gives the wide picture. Thats me anyway.

The "wide picture" reveals that Forza had more iterations this gen, didn't really slice into GT's market much (if at all), and no single title can outsell a Gran Turismo. Plus, even with the added variables, the numbers are close between the IPs. What does that tell us - GT is the bigger franchise by a comfortable margin. No matter how the data is manipulated.

Between 360 and PS3, Forza allready has more gen sales. PSP GT makes the lead only 1.5 million in GTs favor. Id say GT is a bigger fracnhsie by a much smaller margin then people think. Not releasing another full game this gen costed them.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
J_Allard said:
iceland said:
"You know that nowhere in my post did it say sales alone are not an accomplishment"

okay

"Halo 4 burning through copies quicker than GT5 at launch is some sort of accomplishment. It isn't."

Because this totally doesn't imply that. You've said Halo 4 selling more at launch than GT5 isn't an accomplishment, correct? Back to the original post I replied to, you implied that Halo is selling better than GT because Shooters are mainstream this gen. I argued that Halo was always selling even when RPGs were mainstream. I also made the point that Killzone (and many shooters may I add) should've sold better by that logic. You then sidestep by switching the argument saying it was too soon to compare. I said there's nothing wrong with comparing games that are in the process of selling (I mean this is a sales site). But hey guess I fail at reading comprehension. :)

Again.. are you actually reading the posts? It's not hard. Halo 4 sold nearly 4 million copies in week one. Looking purely at sales, that's mighty impressive. Comparing it to sales of a sim racer like GT5.. yawn. That's not impressive. Nowhere did I say Halo 4's sales are not impressive. I said outselling GT5's pace is not impressive. They are two separate things.

Regarding Killzone, who gives a **** about Killzone?  Are you comparing the market power of Halo to Killzone? Are you denying that shooters are more popular than sim racers? I mentioned shooters because Halo 4 is, in fact, a shooter. Nowhere did I imply that every single shooter should sell 9 million copies.

Your guess seems spot on.

That's actually what is was talking about... I believe it's still impressive. That's where my "sales is sales" line came from. And my first rebuttal in my last reply, how am I not reading your posts correctly? Have you thought maybe it's the other way around? And again I've provided examples on why I think it's a fair comparision.

And nowhere did I say that or even implied that, just giving examples to back up my opinion. Don't know where you got 9 million from, just said sold better along with many other shooters. Shooters are no doubt more popular this gen, but as I said before with examples I believe this had little to no effect on the Halo franchise. I respect your opinion, but obviously nothing is going to change with this back n forth, only thing is that I don't have to resort to insults. :)

CGI-Quality said:
sales2099 said:

My sig merely shows that in 2012, as well as the years 2007, 2009, and 2011, Forza is the higher selling IP between the two. I know, unthinkable stuff ;)

This has nothing to do with my sig, I was just addressing your compulsive need to make PS3 fans out to be angels.

You really are reaching with this. One-on-one, released on the same day, no Forza game would outsell GT. Ever. Why you choose to spin data the way you do is anyone's guess, but I would advise acceptance in this. 

A little friendly challenge for you, I think the Forza IP is now strong enough that next gen the first Forza mainstream title will outsell the next gen GT game (full version, not demo/prologue).  Obviously they will not be released same day so just total sales.  This bet is in part because I believe Microsoft will have a userbase advantage at release which will make GT's life harder.  I'm not interested in stakes just want you to remember I said it so we can laugh however it turns out  

maximrace said:
Halo 4 gets msft extra gold members so that adds up to the profit aswell. I think in the long run they will both have made the same amount of money. BUT Halo is a franchise you can expand out of games ( eg, forward unto dawn) and make money with. GT isn't.

halo movie might be in making

FPS are garbage.

-this post was moderated by amp316

Around the Network

:) Bungie would have love that it did that in exactly 7 weeks.

Halo 4 still going strong. Still a possibility of a spring bundle like they did with ODST and Forza 3 in 2010.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.