By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can someone explain why people thought that Playstation All-Stars would sell millions of copies?

bevochan said:

There has been virtually no mainstream advertisement for this game.  Supposedly there is a US commercial but I've never seen it (and I watch lots of TV).  Only people that know about this game are internet fan boys.  

Most gamers (20+ million walmart video gamers that buys Call of Duty Black Ops 2 who are also completely unaware of the immense internet hate toward Call of Duty) have no awareness about this game.  (Most of my buddies are on xbox360 and only know few people on PS3) But literally none of my PS3 buddies even know that this game exist.  

all stars had plenty of advertisment and hype so stop with excuses

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
bevochan said:

There has been virtually no mainstream advertisement for this game.  Supposedly there is a US commercial but I've never seen it (and I watch lots of TV).  Only people that know about this game are internet fan boys.  

Most gamers (20+ million walmart video gamers that buys Call of Duty Black Ops 2 who are also completely unaware of the immense internet hate toward Call of Duty) have no awareness about this game.  (Most of my buddies are on xbox360 and only know few people on PS3) But literally none of my PS3 buddies even know that this game exist.  

I've seen some version of this commercial every day for months:

It is usually playing on one of the sports channels and I see it in the morning when watching highlights while working out.

The only TV I watched are ESPN Sportscenter and football.  I still haven't seen it.  Hmmm.  But I usually watch ESPN at night (~10pm) and not in the morning.  The prime time commercials may be more costly for Sony to advertise.  Xbox360 ads are always on during NFL games.  I've seen some PS3 game commmercials during NFL games, but not often.  However, I do see lots of PS3 ads on Spike TV, but I think those ads are just waste of money.  People that watch Spike TV are mostly fanboys/nerds and already aware of all games/news before the ads hit (like preaching to the choir).

I would love to see more PS3 game ads during the NFL playoffs to target more mainstream audiences......  Hopefully we'll start seeing God of War Ascension ads soon....

Also, this Playstation all-stars commercial is awful.  PS3 game ads just don't show enough of the games, and this commerical doesn't show any of the game.  Uncharted 3 is the only PS3 game within the last couple of years that got proper media push with ads.  U3 ads actually showed in-game footages.  Even God of War 3 ads in the US didn't show enough of the game and too much Kevin Butler.

o_O.Q said:
from what i've played the game does indeed deserve to be a million seller imo

its the most fun i've had in a fighting game since the first naruto ultimate ninja storm came out and i'm enjoying the mechanics more than smash's mechanics

sony coming out with a game like this has been long overdue imo

Out of curiousity, what makes you say the mechanics of this game are better than Smash?

I'm thinking most people that thought this would sell a lot was because those people thought that other PlayStation gamers cared as much about these characters like they themselves do.

I think in reality, a lot more Nintendo players are attached to the Nintendo characters than there are PlayStation players that are attached to PlayStation characters. Sadly, I think over 90% of PlayStation players just don't care and have no feelings towards any of the characters. Which is then the main problem for Sony to fix of course.

Also, strange that some of you never saw advertisement for this game. Here in Holland, we were bombarded with tv-ads and even posters at train stations and the like for the whole of November and December.

richardhutnik said:

(..)

Would an Uncharted clone by Nintendo suddenly sell millions on a Nintendo platform?

Mario Adventure: Quest for the Lost Treasure Maps

I'd buy that .

Is this a crow eating thread. Has the game stop selling? It will easily go over a million.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

I'm thinking most people that thought this would sell a lot was because those people thought that other PlayStation gamers cared as much about these characters like they themselves do.

I think in reality, a lot more Nintendo players are attached to the Nintendo characters than there are PlayStation players that are attached to PlayStation characters. Sadly, I think over 90% of PlayStation players just don't care and have no feelings towards any of the characters. Which is then the main problem for Sony to fix of course.

Also, strange that some of you never saw advertisement for this game. Here in Holland, we were bombarded with tv-ads and even posters at train stations and the like for the whole of November and December.

You hit the nail on the head with your post.

Many people seem to forget that his is a gaming site. So an interest in gaming is obviously needed. However, many people outside our little gaming bubble called VGC could care less about being dedicated fans or whatever. They buy games, they play them. End of story. That's why many games that are hyped on VGC don't necessarily turn out sales-wise in the end.

JWeinCom said:
o_O.Q said:
from what i've played the game does indeed deserve to be a million seller imo

its the most fun i've had in a fighting game since the first naruto ultimate ninja storm came out and i'm enjoying the mechanics more than smash's mechanics

sony coming out with a game like this has been long overdue imo

Out of curiousity, what makes you say the mechanics of this game are better than Smash?

comboing opponents is more natural

killing with supers in general forces players to be more strategic with how they play for most characters while with smash once the opponents percentage is high enough the overall strategy is simply to deliver a blow powerful enough to knock the opponent off the stage 

the characters vary in terms of their movesets, movement etc more than characters from smash imo

JWeinCom said:

If I may just offer my own opinion on this (and I don't think it's better than Smash, yet, but I have only been playing it for about a week and a half which is far little time to judge it).

What I like about the mechanics are many of the things I've seen listed as flaws by other people/reviewers.  I've seen it mentioned on numerous occassions that it "never feels like you're building up to something" with PSABR compared to Smash, which just isn't true at all.  In Smash, you're making other people's meter go up.  In PSABR, you're making your meter go up.  So in that respect, the feeling of the game is very similar for both.

What sets them apart - at least at the very early levels of play that I'm at right now - is the feeling of certainty you get from PSABR over Smash.  In Smash, there would be so many occassions when I'd hit a player with 2xx% meter, only to have them fly off the stage but not far enough to actually ring out them, so they'd get back on.  Then conversely, I'd hit (or they'd hit me) people with 1xx% meter with the same move and they'd go clean off in one.  I'm not sure if there's some trick to it that I'm not aware of which makes this more certain, but it just seems random.

Compare that to PSABR.  If you hit someone with a super, it's +score to you.  No question about it.  If they dodge it, you don't get points.  It's absolute.  I think Playstation All-Stars might have a slight edge in my personal tastes with that, but again, I'll need to spend more time with it.

In addition, supers in PSABR add just a slight extra edge of strategy which makes things just that more interesting.  Again, in both Smash & PSABR you're using regular moves to add to either your meter or their meter, the level of thinking is the same for both.  And again, in both games, you look for opportunities to score points.  So in Smash, you're looking for that opportunity when an opponent is defenseless enough that you can hit them with a big smash to knock them off.  In PSABR, once you have a level 1, you're looking for an opportunity where the most people are standing in range of whatever your level 1 is that you can hit them all for maximum effect.  But you're also considering "Is it worth using this now and maybe hitting two of them, or should I wait to get my Level 2 and have a better chance of hitting 3 of them?"  It's just another strategic thought that I think adds an extra layer of depth.

All just my thoughts anyway.  I'll let o.O_q tell you what he thinks.  I just find it amusing that the mechanic which has been so widely mocked since being announced for the game has actually turned out not only to be adequate but actually a success, at least to me.

edit: I see he's already replied, I clearly spent too long typing this wall of text!

DLC will push it past 1m. The game is very low-budget though. I don't even think it deserves to go further than that. I bought the game because I support this idea. IF there is a sequel it would take A LOT of convincing for me to buy it at full price.

Kresnik said:
JWeinCom said:

If I may just offer my own opinion on this (and I don't think it's better than Smash, yet, but I have only been playing it for about a week and a half which is far little time to judge it).

What I like about the mechanics are many of the things I've seen listed as flaws by other people/reviewers.  I've seen it mentioned on numerous occassions that it "never feels like you're building up to something" with PSABR compared to Smash, which just isn't true at all.  In Smash, you're making other people's meter go up.  In PSABR, you're making your meter go up.  So in that respect, the feeling of the game is very similar for both.

What sets them apart - at least at the very early levels of play that I'm at right now - is the feeling of certainty you get from PSABR over Smash.  In Smash, there would be so many occassions when I'd hit a player with 2xx% meter, only to have them fly off the stage but not far enough to actually ring out them, so they'd get back on.  Then conversely, I'd hit (or they'd hit me) people with 1xx% meter with the same move and they'd go clean off in one.  I'm not sure if there's some trick to it that I'm not aware of which makes this more certain, but it just seems random.

Compare that to PSABR.  If you hit someone with a super, it's +score to you.  No question about it.  If they dodge it, you don't get points.  It's absolute.  I think Playstation All-Stars might have a slight edge in my personal tastes with that, but again, I'll need to spend more time with it.

In addition, supers in PSABR add just a slight extra edge of strategy which makes things just that more interesting.  Again, in both Smash & PSABR you're using regular moves to add to either your meter or their meter, the level of thinking is the same for both.  And again, in both games, you look for opportunities to score points.  So in Smash, you're looking for that opportunity when an opponent is defenseless enough that you can hit them with a big smash to knock them off.  In PSABR, once you have a level 1, you're looking for an opportunity where the most people are standing in range of whatever your level 1 is that you can hit them all for maximum effect.  But you're also considering "Is it worth using this now and maybe hitting two of them, or should I wait to get my Level 2 and have a better chance of hitting 3 of them?"  It's just another strategic thought that I think adds an extra layer of depth.

All just my thoughts anyway.  I'll let o.O_q tell you what he thinks.  I just find it amusing that the mechanic which has been so widely mocked since being announced for the game has actually turned out not only to be adequate but actually a success, at least to me.

edit: I see he's already replied, I clearly spent too long typing this wall of text!

Thanks for your input.  A few things.

1.  There actually is some logic behind what moves KO you and what doesn't in Smash.  First off, different characters have different weight.  Secondly, you can influence which direction you fly after getting hit to some extent via what is called directional influence.  For instance if you hit UP as soon as you're attacked your trajectory will be altered.  That's a basic explanation, but it's a pretty important thing in high level play.

2.  I wouldn't call what you described as more depth.  It's a differnt strategy to be sure, but I wouldn't say it adds more or less depth than Smash.  If you enjoy the system though, that's cool. 

@o.O_q

Sadly I haven't really gotten much out of the combo system.  I haven't really gotten to play 1v1 (which is annoyingly not available online in either game unless you're playing with frends) and multiplayer is really too chaotic to do more than basic combos.

As for character diversity IDK yet.  So far I've been sticking to Cole and Raiden (who I think will be the best character in this game hands down when the dust settles).  Haven't messed around with many other characters except for a little bit.  Overall they all feel pretty mashy to me, but that may just be because I don't know the ins and outs of each one yet.

Thanks to both of you for answering.  I'd like to play more 1v1 to get a better feel of the game, so if either of you (or anyone else) wants to play, feel free to PM me.  It really sucks that there is no 1vs1 online mode with randoms :(  Kind of kills the value of the game for me.