By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can someone explain why people thought that Playstation All-Stars would sell millions of copies?

There has been virtually no mainstream advertisement for this game.  Supposedly there is a US commercial but I've never seen it (and I watch lots of TV).  Only people that know about this game are internet fan boys.  

Most gamers (20+ million walmart video gamers that buys Call of Duty Black Ops 2 who are also completely unaware of the immense internet hate toward Call of Duty) have no awareness about this game.  (Most of my buddies are on xbox360 and only know few people on PS3) But literally none of my PS3 buddies even know that this game exist.  

Around the Network

It's only been a month, I don't think anyone thought it would sell 2 million first month. I know when I made my prediction for PSAS, it was under the assumption that the game would have at least some Square Enix presence, which didn't happen, I imagine others are in a similar position :/

HappySqurriel said:
I have personally noticed that some people seem to believe that Nintendo's success is undeserved and simply due to luck, and if Sony (or Microsoft) copy something Nintendo has done that they will be able to match or surpass the success Nintendo has had.

If you understand and respect what Nintendo has accomplished, you probably wouldn't make a prediction that Playstation Allstars would sell like Smash Bros. based on the similarity of the two titles.

quoted for the wisedom

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Personally, I still think it would be a great game for a bundle, especially in a two/multiple game bundle. It's a good game for families and putting it in a bundle or on PS+ would be a good way to build the franchise fanbase for the future. It would also be a way to promote the Vita by giving PS3 owners a Vita game for free. From the beginning, I said that I thought Sony had modest expectations for this game, but bigger hopes for the franchise.

Ultimately, sales for this game are going to be cut short by the arrival of the PS4. This is a title that would normally sell more by word of mouth or indirect advertising than by direct advertising--in other words, it would have legs--but the timing of the release will likely cut that short.

My belief has always been that Sony created this game, not necessarily for individual sales, but to be another feature of the Playstation brand. It's there to fill a niche. I think it will one day become a PS+ mainstay.

What kind of annoys me when I read threads like this is that, for some reason, none of the fans of other consoles ever reference my opinion or the opinions of others who didn't say anything outlandish. You never read, "lol playstations fans have modest expectations for this game." Instead, it's always something like, "lol playstation fans thought this game would sell 20m lololol." I mean, wait? The hell? Twenty people can say 1m but if a couple of people say 20m then THEY are the ones that get quoted as representatives of everyone who games on a particular device? It's really hard to take anyone seriously who uses extremes to create gross generalizations. Yes, you're going to get under the skin of the ignorant, but people with intelligence will be face-palming at you.

bevochan said:

There has been virtually no mainstream advertisement for this game.  Supposedly there is a US commercial but I've never seen it (and I watch lots of TV).  Only people that know about this game are internet fan boys.  

Most gamers (20+ million walmart video gamers that buys Call of Duty Black Ops 2 who are also completely unaware of the immense internet hate toward Call of Duty) have no awareness about this game.  (Most of my buddies are on xbox360 and only know few people on PS3) But literally none of my PS3 buddies even know that this game exist.  

I've seen some version of this commercial every day for months:

It is usually playing on one of the sports channels and I see it in the morning when watching highlights while working out.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
theprof00 said:
maybe you should be careful that it's christmas and we don't have official numbers yet.

Agreed. I think it's overtracked. 

oh dear

Dgc1808 said:
Some people thought SONY would actually advertise this thing. Some just never learn.

This.

kowenicki said:

Advertised A LOT in the UK and elsewhere in Europe I suspect.

Are you talking about PSABR!?

kowenicki said:

Advertised A LOT in the UK and elsewhere in Europe I suspect.

For Playstation All-Stars?

No, Kowen.  I have not seen a single advert in the UK for this game.

I fully agree with you on most points - there were tonnes of Vita & Wonderbook adverts this holiday season.  There was that family advert that showed Sports Champions 2 & LittleBigPlanet Karting which was on all the time too.

But I genuinely haven't seen a single piece of advertising for PSABR.  Perhaps there is in the rest of Europe, but in the UK, there really wasn't anything.  

With the amount of ads I've seen, I don't think Playstation Allstars Battle Royal has suffered from lack of advertising but I do think it may have been poorly targeted advertising that was largely ineffective.

It has been my experience that a large portion of videogame advertising happens on 'smaller' channels at off peak hours, and companies are trying to be seen by the right audience and not (necessarily) the largest audience. The reason for this is these companies can get weeks worth of advertising in these low cost slots for the same cost as one commercial on prime-time television.