By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most overrated game?

Uncharted, Call of Duty, Pokemon.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network

Can't really say for all time, but this generation GTA IV and Skyrim.

GTA IV - It's movement was clunky, the whole environment is grey and lifeless it lacked variety in vehicles, it was boring and the story crawled along at a snails pace.

Skyrim - Sure it looks pretty and has a large open world but apart from that doesn't have a lot going for it, the combat is repetitive and simplistic and there are very few memorable characters and very poor storytelling.

And no these aren't overrated because I simply disliked the game, even games I don't like such as mario I can still see the appeal but these two games aren't good by any stretch of the imagination yet still have ridiculously high metascores.

EDIT: I have to say I am very disappointed in the hate for Uncharted, I really don't see what's not to love, Great characters, fun gameplay, great graphics, puzzles and a lot of action.

EDIT: Also Batman Arkham Asylum, that game was just aweful, 2 button spam combat with such bland gameplay and story, I feel the only reason it got high reveiws is because it's got batman in it.

any 3D Zelda, any MMORPG, Angry Birds, Demon's/Dark Souls, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet series, Burnout Paradise/NFS Hot Pursuit (2010)

I was going to say Ocarina of Time (seriously, why is this considered to be the best game of all time?) but then I remembered GTAIV. GTAIV is easily the most overrated game ever made, so disappointing on so many levels. How did the critics fail to do their job (you know, criticize the abundant, glaring faults present in the game) so badly?

Half-Life 2, every Grand Theft Auto game, Metal Gear Solid 2, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Dishonored.

Around the Network
bouzane said:
I was going to say Ocarina of Time (seriously, why is this considered to be the best game of all time?) but then I remembered GTAIV. GTAIV is easily the most overrated game ever made, so disappointing on so many levels. How did the critics fail to do their job (you know, criticize the abundant, glaring faults present in the game) so badly?

It is tough to look past GTAIV as you say.  Looking back the reviews were awful journalism.  I played it for 10 hours then quit as it was just too boring.

bananaking21 said:
Fireforgey said:
aimancooper said:

What's your most overrated game in the whole Game Industry?

Mine is Super Mario and Call Of Duty. They are just TOO overrated, even though I love them and play them daily.

How exactly is Mario overrated?  Are you talking about the obscene level of sales or are you talking about critical reception?  Because if you're talking about critical reception.........It really isn't that high, in fact some would argue it's underrated.  However in terms of sales that is something else entirely.   Or are you talking about the reception of the Galaxy games?  I'm just wondering why you think Mario of all games is overrrated. 

calm down boy, its just his opinion. this thread is all about opinions if you dont like it then leave and go start your own thread

calm down?  I was asking a question.  I'm not trying to sit and say that Mario is the greatest I just want to know why Mario is considered overrated?  Does any question have to be labeled under fanboyism?

Gran Turismo 5- Not that critics over rate it but how fans talk about it. It is living by it's brand name at the moment rather than being the best.

Half Life 2-Maybe it was good for it's time but now it is not the best

Zelda: Ocarina of Time- I love Zelda but this isn't even the best Zelda game I've played let alone the best game I've played of all time. It was one of the most innovative games of all time which is why it is reviewed so well.

Peter Molyxnuex-Yeah he over hypes everything so Im just going to call him over rated.

Halo and Gears of War

xenoblade im just not getting it apparently
Crysis2 no game with that much bugs should be getting reviews of 9s and 90s (console version)
Uncharted3, yup didnt think it was as good as 2
No More Heroes like a poor man's hack and slash