By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Near-finished PS Orbis concept (High quality renders)

Which one do you prefer?

New 48 75.00%

Old 16 25.00%

Total:64
theprof00 said:

Only problem I see with it is that it does not neatly and efficiently provide for case modification. IMO, it is important to have customization.
I would suggest 4 push pins (steel) on the corners of the flat-top, with a very thin frosted plexiglass, and no design on the case itself.

EDIT: Also, I think the height between the console (power button panel), and the flat-top is too great. I think it should come down between half an inch and a full inch. Also, in the same vein, the sloping part of the flat top leading to the usbs is too bulbous and uninspired.

As for case modification and the design: If you looks closely at the bottom of the slope above the usbs there's a tiny gap (didn't really show up too well in the rendered image, but it's there. I'll try and make it more prominent in the next revision) that would allow the plastic or case to be disconnected. I'm not set on the circle thingy design. I like it, but it's really only there because I haven't made a logo yet and it looks too plain with nothing there. 

As for everthing else: Noted, and I'll keep your suggestions in mind for the next revision. Thanks.

Around the Network

The only trouble with that is that the sloping part of the case would cost more to make panels for, and would take up more room in containers due to the awkward slope, increasing shipping costs.

spurgeonryan said:
Is google sketch up free?

yup

ghost_of_fazz said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
ghost_of_fazz said:
It's a slim PC.. And why Sketchup? Why not Solidworks?

I'm familiar with sketchup and it's simple. How long does it take to get familiar with solidworks?

Like minutes. You could pull out what you designed, without knowing the program, in around 5 minutes. It's a great software, you should give it a try if you're into design.

I'll be sincere, not trying to offend your work or anything, but it's very boxy, big, fat, and not very aesthetic...  that means it's a very Sony-ish design, in line with the Playstation 2, quite realistic.

You serious? SolidWorks is an engineering software that costs 10,000+ $. SketchUp is free.

If all one wants to do is a quick n' dirty mock-up of PS4's outer shell, then SketchUp is the most suitable software for something like that.

If someone wanted to engineer and machine game console parts, then SolidWorks or rather something better (CATIA, Siemens NX) would be needed.