By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Vita verse 3DS-2012

Great video, hope you guys agree. I personally found the software section interesting.

Around the Network

Very good video. Shows how poorly vita is performing despite have an awesome lineup of games and that haters were totally wrong in saying vita doesn't have games.
I expect sony to really drop the price next year increase sales, as its the only hurdle that prevents vita sales from leapfrogging.

Seems pretty good review overall. I would note, that his NA-sales-numbers include the Vita-launch, so that numbers show the Vita a bit better than it really is (but I think not much). He noted that his Meta-Rankings should look different for Japan. I would add, that the reviews of game-magazines are also biased in direction of core-games, many people also like casual games and they often have a high quality, but they are ranked down because of simple graphics or simple gameplay. That aside I have to agree with the guy.

To the predictions. I hope the Vita will not die (and think it is actually unlikely). It will probably not recover like PS3 and never sell PSP-levels, but it should do OK. I expect something between 25-40 million lifetime. Sony should generate money on it, if they are clever. I somewhat worried about the discrepancy between the NA-sales and the japan-sales of the 3DS. While it is exploding in Japan, it runs OKish in NA (and europe). That may lead to a situation some years later, that the japanese market is saturated and stopped buying the thing, while europeans and americans are buying this thing. Should Nintendo release in that situation a successor or not? I agree with the video, that next year should come many localizations of japanese games, that will drive sales of 3DS in the West a little more. And yes, Pokemon will be the big system-seller.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

ah that old chestnut, comparing metacritic scores lol.

Sadly the reality is mass market see the world different then core gamers and reviewers..

None the less good review for the crowd it was targeting.

Mnementh said:
Seems pretty good review overall. I would note, that his NA-sales-numbers include the Vita-launch, so that numbers show the Vita a bit better than it really is (but I think not much). He noted that his Meta-Rankings should look different for Japan. I would add, that the reviews of game-magazines are also biased in direction of core-games, many people also like casual games and they often have a high quality, but they are ranked down because of simple graphics or simple gameplay. That aside I have to agree with the guy.

Or alternatively, aren't reviewed at all -- hence, they don't show up in his "10 reviews or more" list. This is also a problem for digital releases.

Not arguing with his use of that number, it's legit enough. But it's a shame that a game like Cave Story 3DS doesn't show up in there simply because only Destructoid and a few Nintendo specialty sites actually reviewed the game. Then there's Night Sky, Art Academy, Art of Balance, Fluidity... just not enough reviews.

I suppose Vita probably had just as many great games fly under the radar, but it's a shame to hear him say that only 7 great games were released for 3DS the whole year knowing that doesn't accurately represent 2012 for the 3DS.

Yeah, I gotta get out of this. Now I'm scrolling through eShop reviews and I want to strangle somebody.

"Level 8 showed up like a brick wall, and after losing several dozen lives I gave up.... Maybe there’s a great game beyond level 8.... Who knows?... I turned the game off and walked away. 2/5"

Glad to know GameRankings only counts quality reviews.

Around the Network

Good review, but I personally think that games shouldn't be dragged into this. What defines a good and a bad game is highly subjective and for me personally the 3DS got the edge over the Vita. I would take Denpa Men over Gravity Rush any day of the week. But I enjoy both handhelds for different purposes.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Chandler said:

Good review, but I personally think that games shouldn't be dragged into this. What defines a good and a bad game is highly subjective and for me personally the 3DS got the edge over the Vita. I would take Denpa Men over Gravity Rush any day of the week. But I enjoy both handhelds for different purposes.

Similarly people were saying vita doesnt have a games, or that its lineup its incomparable to 3ds, which is entirely subjective. Vita has more great games in 2012 than 3ds, but many people still dont stop saying vita doesnt have games, which is completely ignorant and baseless.

Vita lineup beats 3ds imo. It has much larger diversity of games with many more slated to come.

Something to note, I am absolutely sure sony wont beg capcom for a MH. They are making Soul Sacrifice as a MH killer, but with much higher production values. Its music, visuals, story etc. are of a class above the MH games. I would not be surprised if Soul Sacrifices music budget is more than the entire one of MH4. Although there is no doubt SS will be beaten in sales by MH (at least for the first game), it wont be because of a worse game, but because of poor vita sales.