By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Sony Pictures Entertainment discussion

So let me admit right off the bat that not until very recently I didn't know Sony owned Columbia Pictures and Tri-Star. When I was younger, I always noticed those logos at the beginning of the movie, but never really paid a lot attention to them. I was looking into Sony Entertainment division and noticed Sony Pictures. I read about all of their acquisitions on the 80's, 90's and 2000's, and how they made themselves a big player in Hollywood. So I though it would be interesting to discuss their behavior in this industry and how it relates to their gaming division.

First, I am having trouble finding some classic movies that have come out of Sony’s Hollywood involvement. I know Columbia Studio is a famous studio, but I want to know where does Sony's hand start to influence this studio for good or bad. What are some of your favorite movies that Sony Pictures have made in the last 20 years?

Since my discovery of Sony Pictures, I have notice they publish a huge amount of movies throughout the year, Skyfall, Looper, and Hotel Transylvania being some of the best ones this year. Is this profitable for them, how to they compared to Fox, Time Warner, and lion gate? Artistically and financially.

Giving the amount of movies they make, I have wondered if maybe Sony is very comfortable making large amount of entertainment content. They make more first party games than any other platform holder and don’t seem to want to slow down. Is this a mandate from the top level management? Differentiation is common aspect of electronic companies, and giving Sony heritage, I don’t a mandate as such too far fetched. What do you guys think?

Around the Network

This is their number one year for box office grosses both domestically and worldwide. So far they are the number 1 studio for the year. However, I seem to remember they recorded losses in one their past quarters this year and they attributed it to advertising costs related to the Amazing Spider-man.

http://boxofficemojo.com/studio/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

I think this division is one if not the most important division for Sony.
They could package demos on the Blu Rays as well, would be good promotion for there games. Like they did with Total Recall and God of War Ascension.I often ask myself why the didnt do that more often.

However they have a lot of great movies.

Resident evilSeries ( of course not everone like that series )
Underworld 4 was also awesome
Karate Kid ( yes i am a huge Jackie Chan Fan)
All the Adam Sandler, Kevin James Comedys
Cloudy ( very entertaining CGI movie)
Hotel Transylvania
The Amazing Spider Man

and much more.

Wow, didn't know sony pictures had the biggest marketshare this year

Amazing

Bond has saved Sony.

Around the Network

Dont forget about Sony Picture Classics giving us movies like moon,

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Hows their TV division doing?

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

foodfather said:
Bond has saved Sony.

I wouldn't quite say saved, but $1bn always helps