By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - My week as a Packers fan

This thread will chronicle my one week love affair that I am about to have with the Green Bay Packers.  I figure that they have so many bandwaggoning fans that adore them because they have been good in recent years and have a small town nice guy image that I might as well hitch a ride on that wagon for one week.  I personally don't care for the new NFL where the star QB isn't allowed to be hit (nor the WR going over the middle for that matter) and where running the ball and playing defense is an afterthought, but I figured that I would give the poster boys for this new breed of football a shot for 7 days.  I will not go through 168 hours of this with the New England Patriots or New Orleans Saints though.  There's only so much of this type of crap an old school football fan can handle in a week.  

I know what some of you are saying to yourselves.  You're thinking; but Mr. 316, aren't you the guy that vomits every time that he sees the colors yellow and green in close proximity to each other?  Aren't you a die hard Chicago Bears fan?  Don't you still have an asterisk next to that game that the Packers "defeated" the Bears when Don Majowski threw a touchdown TD on a last second play over a yard and a half beyond the line of scrimmage?  Aren't you the guy that considers Forrest Gregg the dirtiest coach of all time?  The guy that still is disgusted by Charles Martin's "hit list" and what did to Jim McMahon.  The guy that sees red just thinking about how the greatest football player of all time, Walter "Sweetness" Payton was driven 15 yards out of bounds and over a bench by those cheeseheads?  

*take a deep breath Amp*

The answer is yes on all accounts.

So why in the world do I plan on becoming a Packers fan for one week?  Because it's in the best interest of the Bears.  You see, the Bears need to defeat the Lions on Sunday and the Packers need to defeat the Vikings in order for the Bears to make the playoffs.  This is a bit ironic since the only time that I have ever cheered for the Packers was because of my second most hated team, the Vikings.  There is this time and the time when Brett "The Antichrist" Favre went to the Vikings.  I cheered really hard for the Pack twice a year during his stay there.  So there it is.  For one week it's Go! Pack Go! and Lombardi leaps for this guy.  The world didn't end on the 21st, but on the 23rd I started being a Packer fan (albeit for one week).  So I am going to chronicle what I do every day to prepare for the big Packers and Vikings game.

Day 1 : Sunday, December 23rd  I am having a bit of trouble getting into this rooting for the Packers thing, so I decided to stuff my face with dairy products like those in Wisconsin do and hope that it rubs off on me.  Thankfully, I like pizza and ice cream.         

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

Packers? Have fun watching them get stomped by the 49ers in the playoffs. This is our year, and if I am off by a year like I was last year, Redskins have it locked up with the broncos.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

I understand the discomfort of rooting for a hated team so that a particular playoff scenario is realized. It's not easy.

Packers fans on GAF tend to want to lose next week after being afraid of the bye week because it will make the team "rusty". That is so funny that the recent wins of lower seeded teams in the playoffs has caused younger fans to think the bye is not an advantage. Playing at home is an advantage for most teams. I cannot give much of a consensus on Packers fans in Wisconsin, but I know in Denver there is a very apparent belief in the home field advantage.

As far as the Bears making the playoffs it seems likely unless Rodgers and other starters on Green Bay are rested and I doubt that will happen as the team will is certainly going for the bye week.

Packers bye killed momentum last year. There are gonna be out to make an example now, just like when they demolished the titans. It's all about getting the hot hand.

And lol, Bears.......

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network
homer said:
Packers? Have fun watching them get stomped by the 49ers in the playoffs. This is our year, and if I am off by a year like I was last year, Redskins have it locked up with the broncos.

After seeing the Seahawks absolutely MASSACRE the Niners last night I don't know anymore. Is Alex Smith coming back anytime soon? 

I forgive the Mayans for being a few days off in their prediction.

SaviorX said:
Packers bye killed momentum last year. There are gonna be out to make an example now, just like when they demolished the titans. It's all about getting the hot hand.

And lol, Bears.......

So when the packers were 15-1 last year that was not a hot hand? The packers will probably get the bye again so your statement does not make much sense.

As much as I love cheese, I am no cheese head. I'm not sure I can bring myself to root for the Pack, even if they hold the fate of the Bear's playoff chances in their hands. To be honest, I wouldn't be too sad if the Bears just crapped out and missed the playoffs this year. Then Lovie can hopefully get cut loose and the Bears can start fresh. Vikings need to stick a fork in them, they are done. And yesterday's win did little to convince me otherwise, as they were playing a crappy team. Bears are going nowhere this year regardless even if they eek into the playoffs. They have little offense outside Cutler and Marshall and Lovie is just a defensive coordinator who holds the title of coach. I'd almost rather they just end the suffering early this year.

Sorry, I've been busy the last couple of days. Also I'm sorry that I somehow typed Lombardi Leap instead of Lambeau Leap in my OP. I know that it's the Lambeau Leap and wouldn't make a joke that unfunny.

Day 2 - December 24th, 2012 - I spent Christmas eve over at my parents with them and my sisters family. The highlight of the day was when my mother gave my five year old nephew a Curious George DVD. He said, "Grandma, I'm five and don't like the monkey anymore." My sister said that she still likes the monkey. He said, "You take it then!" and discarded my poor mom's present like a piece of trash.

I thought to myself that this is nice and I'm sure that Packer's fans spend the holidays like this with their families also. No teams, no animosity towards Bears fans, just Christmas. I then opened my present from my sister and brother-in-law. It was a Walter Payton jersey. Go Bears!

Day 3 - December 25th - I went over to my girlfriend's house for Christmas. She lives with her grandfather and mentally handicapped aunt who she takes care of. I figured that it might be a little easier for me to be a Packer fan on Christmas at another home. I walk in and her grandfather is wearing his brand new Brandon Marshall jersey that he got from his grandson. Go Bears! Trying to be a Packers fan for a week is harder than I thought that it would be.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger