By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mario is half a billion!!

yay mario!!

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Around the Network

Nintendo has utilized the character and its crossover personality well. Great job, Nintendo!

leon.hart said:
Nintendo has utilized the character and its crossover personality well. Great job, Nintendo!

Mario has no personality...i think he only ever uses like 5-6 sentences

Player1x3 said:
...and with only like 30+ games in 25 years across 11 systems !!!

You really like to harp on this, as shown in follow up replies, but the truth is that you can take Mario's numbers from this Gen alone and it still blows almost everything else out of the water.  In addition to that, it's longevity is amazing, it's not the only franchise that existd 25 years ago, but how many of it's contemporaries have put up anywhere near those numbers?

Player1x3 said:
S.Peelman said:
Player1x3 said:
selnor said:
(..)

My stat was relevant to the thread and its topic showing just how amazing an achievement Mario has accomplised. 

No it wasn't...PlayStation has nothing to do with OP. And if you really wanted to show just how amazing an achievement Mario has accomplised, you should have compared it to Xbox LTD sales...it would make Mario achievement appear even bigger in comparison !

You know what's even more awesome?

If I haven't forgotten any, I think Mario even beats out on the entire PS and the entire XBox lines combined! Let's see here;

156 (plusminus for PS2) + 102 (the real PS1 numbers) + 71 (PS3) + 75 (PSP) + 3 (PSV) + 73 (360) + 24 (XB) = 504m. Awww almost, Mario's at 502 .

According to Wikipedia, Mario franchise has sold 450.22 million copies, so it doesn't really come close to outselling them combined... even with 200 games in 25 years across 12 systems on userbase of almost 650M hardware units

Wikipedia's numbers are old. The Super Mario part's numbers are from over a year ago for example, didn't look further but I gather the numbers they have there for Mario Kart and the other franchises are old too.

VGChartz's 502 million is a lot closer to the truth.

Around the Network
Player1x3 said:
leon.hart said:

Mario has no personality...i think he only ever uses like 5-6 sentences

Emphasize on "Crossover". He needs not utter a single word other than appear in a list of different genres, as he already is doing so.

S.Peelman said:
Player1x3 said:
S.Peelman said:
Player1x3 said:
selnor said:
(..)

My stat was relevant to the thread and its topic showing just how amazing an achievement Mario has accomplised. 

No it wasn't...PlayStation has nothing to do with OP. And if you really wanted to show just how amazing an achievement Mario has accomplised, you should have compared it to Xbox LTD sales...it would make Mario achievement appear even bigger in comparison !

You know what's even more awesome?

If I haven't forgotten any, I think Mario even beats out on the entire PS and the entire XBox lines combined! Let's see here;

156 (plusminus for PS2) + 102 (the real PS1 numbers) + 71 (PS3) + 75 (PSP) + 3 (PSV) + 73 (360) + 24 (XB) = 504m. Awww almost, Mario's at 502 .

According to Wikipedia, Mario franchise has sold 450.22 million copies, so it doesn't really come close to outselling them combined... even with 200 games in 25 years across 12 systems on userbase of almost 650M hardware units

Wikipedia's numbers are old. The Super Mario part's numbers are from over a year ago for example, didn't look further but I gather the numbers they have there for Mario Kart and the other franchises are old too.

VGChartz's 502 million is a lot closer to the truth.

Well, i doubt Super Mario could sell additional 52 million copies under a year...and after the PS2 vs DS fiasco, i don't take VGC sales articles seriously.

congratulations to mario!!

Spazzy_D said:
Player1x3 said:
...and with only like 30+ games in 25 years across 11 systems !!!

You really like to harp on this, as shown in follow up replies, but the truth is that you can take Mario's numbers from this Gen alone and it still blows almost everything else out of the water.  In addition to that, it's longevity is amazing, it's not the only franchise that existd 25 years ago, but how many of it's contemporaries have put up anywhere near those numbers?

I will try to the best of my abilities to downplay this feat as good as i can.

Mario's only strength (sales wise) lies in 2D platformers, without them (and heavy bundling and milking from Nintendo) the series aren't as impressive, especially compared to COD, GTA or Sims whom managed to sell almost as half as Mario did in 3 times smaller timespan and 10 times less amount of games

So you are saying over 17.5 million Mario Galaxy games sold isnt impressive?..and dont get me started on how many millions Mario Kart has sold. Nintendo dont just rely on 2D Mario.