By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Worst Moves in History

AndrewWK said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
AndrewWK said:

Metacritic it was a reminder how the press thinks about this game. And of course taste is subjective but review scores still have an impact on people. And the thng that bothers me about Polygon man is they said the boss will some epic character from the PSOne and then the bring Polygon man. Seriously?

But I didn´t want to argue about the quality of this game. It is just a game nobody needs and this was Sonys flagship for this year it wont even sell a million before this gen ends. That is why I called it failure.

It will sell over a million.

You wanna bet?

Would still be a failure

It's sitting at 1/4 million now, was released during Call of duty and halo 4. and is still 60 dollars in stores. That don't count any vita sales or psn. And you actually think it wont hit a million? How would that be a failure it it started yet another new franchise on the PlayStation and was cheap to make?  I'm having a hard time believing you like the PlayStation brand at all.

Around the Network
Mmmfishtacos said:
AndrewWK said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

You wanna bet?

Would still be a failure

It's sitting at 1/4 million now, was released during Call of duty and halo 4. and is still 60 dollars in stores. That don't count any vita sales or psn. And you actually think it wont hit a million? How would that be a failure it it started yet another new franchise on the PlayStation and was cheap to make?  I'm having a hard time believing you like the PlayStation brand at all.

So just because I criticize dumb moves you think I am PS3 hater? I have bought the first PS3 model yes I mean the fat one. And games like God of War, Uncharted Gran tourismo and many many more made me proud to have a device like this. I am proud to see Sony investing in new IP´s like Pupeteer altough I am not into Jump ´n Runs. But lately Sony has done a few things that really enrage me. Like Move(copying Nintendo big times) PSABR( same as Move) and raping Kratos with this new God of War game. You may think whatever you want I don´t give a shit. Maybe you should try to look at it realisticly and not trough some pink beergoogles

Final Fantasy The Spirits Within...

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

AndrewWK said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
AndrewWK said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

You wanna bet?

Would still be a failure

So just because I criticize dumb moves you think I am PS3 hater? I have bought the first PS3 model yes I mean the fat one. And games like God of War, Uncharted Gran tourismo and many many more made me proud to have a device like this. I am proud to see Sony investing in new IP´s like Pupeteer altough I am not into Jump ´n Runs. But lately Sony has done a few things that really enrage me. Like Move(copying Nintendo big times) PSABR( same as Move) and raping Kratos with this new God of War game. You may think whatever you want I don´t give a shit. Maybe you should try to look at it realisticly and not trough some pink beergoogles

Hows this for realistic, comparing the game with Heavenly sword, which is now over 1.5 million. It took the game 10 weeks to reach .5 million. In 3 weeks PASBR did half of that going against halo and call of duty and during the hype of a console release.And you really think it wont hit a million?

Second, Move wasn't a copy of the wii, Video had been show way before we knew what a wii was showing off the controller. It was released in reaction to the wii? yes. Besides Sony Did motion before anyone with the eye toy. All they did was expand on it, with nearly 15 million sold i can't say it was a failure and it made them money. PSABR is just a game that many make comparisons to Smash which is the wrong thing to do because the games play completely different. What's wrong with another company doing a mascot brawler, it's like like the first of its kind, or even a kart racer. Just because Nintendo did it no one else can? Please, they have done so much good this gen but people like to hang on little things like these.

I think the biggest mistake from Sony is, their way of promoting a product as being the best ever.(and most of the cases in terms of Hardware it's the best at that moment) but in terms of apps/software they are so far behind that many people with be turned off by the fact that you pay a premium for functions you maybe get in 1 or 2 years.

Around the Network

I have a few:

-Those PS9 commercials for the PS2 (!?)
-Broken promises for PS2 and PS3. Promises of graphics that are even today not possible. Dual 1080p HDMI outputs. The prerendered videos of Killzone and Motorstorm at E3 in 2005. And so on.
-$599
-2 controller ports on the PS2
-No cross-game chat or achievements/trophies (initially) for PS3 even though 360 did it a year earlier.
-Crappy Internet support on PS2 even though Dreamcast did it before the PS2 and Xbox did it during and after.
-Bluray in PS3. They were hoping for a repeat of PS2 and DVD compatibility and all they got was a price hike.
-Removal of BC in later PS3 models.
-Poor QC on PS1 and PS2.

Sony's TV department is bleeding money. They must have done something wrong there, right?

Mmmfishtacos said:
AndrewWK said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
AndrewWK said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

You wanna bet?

Would still be a failure

Hows this for realistic, comparing the game with Heavenly sword, which is now over 1.5 million. It took the game 10 weeks to reach .5 million. In 3 weeks PASBR did half of that going against halo and call of duty and during the hype of a console release.And you really think it wont hit a million?

Second, Move wasn't a copy of the wii, Video had been show way before we knew what a wii was showing off the controller. It was released in reaction to the wii? yes. Besides Sony Did motion before anyone with the eye toy. All they did was expand on it, with nearly 15 million sold i can't say it was a failure and it made them money. PSABR is just a game that many make comparisons to Smash which is the wrong thing to do because the games play completely different. What's wrong with another company doing a mascot brawler, it's like like the first of its kind, or even a kart racer. Just because Nintendo did it no one else can? Please, they have done so much good this gen but people like to hang on little things like these.

Nintendo and PC gamer

ps3-sales! said:

The vita is only a fail if you're comparing sales to the psp and 3ds. As far as the hardware goes, the vita is probably the most impressive handheld gaming device ever assembled. Hopfully software picks up next year and it gets back on track with a major price cut. Remember, the 3ds struggled just as much when it launched because of the same problems (price and no software)

I don't think that's quite true.  In the first 5 months of it's release (from February 2011 - July 2011), the 3DS sold almost 3.5 million units.  It also had it's first million selling game during that timeframe.  That's all prior to the price cut, and without any shopping holidays during that period mind you.  Compare that to the Vita, who to reach 3.5 million units had to be on the market twice as long, about a year.  And even in a full year of being on the market, has yet to have a single million seller.  Also, prior to the price-cut, a bad week of sales for the 3DS meant only 79,000-89,000 units.  Contrast this with a bad week for Vita equating to between 32,000 to 46,000.  To say that 3DS struggled just as much as Vita is now, I think is a bit of a stretch of a comparison.  In actuality, I think Vita takes "struggling" sales to a whole new level.

Having said that, I do not think that Vita, in and of itself, is Sony's worst move in history.  By far, I think the $599 launch price of the PS3 owns that distinction.
It shows a clear lack of understanding of the video game consumer, by the same exact company who used it's launch price as THE major selling point of its system two generations ago at E3 1995:

"at the SEGA Keynote, it was announced that the SEGA Saturn was secretly shipped to retailers the night before, and was now on sale for $399. A move that left retailers unhappy, and gamers without many launch titles to choose from.  This, shortly after, was completely overshadowed by Sony. Steve Race took the stage at Sony’s keynote and announced the release date for the Sony PlayStation. The real shocker, and what could have been the death blow to Sega before the PlayStation was even released, was the announcement that it would release for the price of $299."

Fast forward a decade, and Sony does an about face releasing a $599 console against $399 and $249 competition.  While 70 million + units sold is nothing to scoff at, in the shadow of their previous successes, you can see a clear decline.  The PS3 will be the first Sony home console to not eclipse 100 million units, and after the PS1 & PS2 finished first in their gens, the PS3 is currently in last in it's own gen.  While it's true that only 2 million units separate last from second, Sony has undisputably lost significant marketshare with the PS3 (And like Ricky Bobby's father says, "If you're not first, you're last.").  And, I think that's a direct result of the launch price.  After previously owning a PS1 and PS2 and greatly enjoying them myself, I passed on the PS3 specifically because of the exorbitant price point.  By the time the price dropped, I already owned an XBox 360 and a Wii, and I saw no need to have a third console.  Judging by Sony's loss of marketshare this past gen, I wasn't the only one to think that way.  So yeah, the $599 launch price of the PS3 is my pick for worst move by Sony.

AndrewWK said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
AndrewWK said:

They are not and the sales are reflecting it. That are 2 unnecessary games which where developed half hearted and in the case of LBP KArting no promoted at all. And sales reflect that.

sales = Quality. 

weird as LBPK is a compleate LBP game thats not half haearted at all.. also battle Royale is super fun and a great fighter.. and that means it must have been half hearted. 

Hey listen we are not debating here about tastes. But if we would be

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/littlebigplanet-karting

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale

I would win.

But saleswise both failed espacially PSABR it wasnt even in the top 100 last week I mean Infamous is selling better then this game. And with half hearted I meant they just tried to rip famous franchises off in hope to sell remotely as much as those. But that didn´t really work did it now? I mean just look at the PSABR roster I mean Polygon man is the Boss? Seriously who the fuck is he anyway.

Metacritic... LOL