By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Arm Yourself: The Ultimate Gun Factsheet

Barozi said:
The US is CLEARLY a third world country regarding gun controls.

Short memo to you. The 18th century is over.

The opinions of Europeans regarding stuff like this is always hilarious.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Barozi said:

Short memo to you. The 18th century is over.

The opinions of Europeans regarding stuff like this is always hilarious.

I noticed that the most adamant anti-gun proponents I've spoken to are foreigners. For some reason they can't comprehend any reason to have guns, probably because they've already lost such rights (or never had them in the first place.) 

On the other hand, Gallup polls show that Americans are buying more guns with each year (especially after Obama took office, out of fear of gun control), and our opinions on gun-control over the last 20 years has changed drastically, mostly because of the failed attempts that have occured. 

It's funny how these foreigners "care" so much more about the well-being of Americans than Americans do, or so they think. 

So Mr Khan just got smacked down for making an ignorant remark so he attacks Israel? Wut? Guns are awesome not only for self defense, but for hunting and sport.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Barozi said:

Map of guns per 100 people, by country. Notice how the "third world" has the fewest guns. ;) 

sc94597 said:

It's funny how these foreigners "care" so much more about the well-being of Americans than Americans do, or so they think. 

Yeah, you read us like an open book - infact, we're weeping inside for loss of our freedom of not being able to own and use firearms and therefore not live in constant fear and paranoia of our countrymen. And the chinese. And the russians. And the *insert country here*.

I really "care" about well-being of Americans who opt for not having deadly contraptions in their households and end up murdered by a gun-wielding maniac who happened to be in the same neighbourhood/school. It is their freedom which is limited. And it's not just about gun-control (some countries have similar gun ownership ratio with only a fraction of the homicide rates). It's mix of all the things, like culture values/media/paranoia... A deadly combination. And the statistics show it.

So, no, guns aren't the greatest problem - IMHO the greatest problem of american culture is constant decline of the value of human life. The thing is that guns are amongst most efficient things for killing. Taking them away might limit the damage that individuals are able to make.

Around the Network

Guns are disgusting, only military should have them, everythingelse is just nonsense

joora said:
sc94597 said:

So, no, guns aren't the greatest problem - IMHO the greatest problem of american culture is constant decline of the value of human life. The thing is that guns are amongst most efficient things for killing. Taking them away might limit the damage that individuals are able to make.

That's just it, "might." Yet there has been no evidence that this would be true. I agree that crime is primarily a cultural phenomenon, but I don't think the solution is to take away liberties that respectable, honest, and law-abiding peoples of the country enjoy and even require. Especially when these liberties maintain the basis of our republic, and are not only part of our constitution, but the Bill of Rights - something which has enabled both negative and positive liberties for all. The ninth amendment addresses your concern, and as such, murdering anybody or harming anybody - unless it is in self-defense - is a crime of the highest magnitude and is solved through courts.  I wasn't even implying that it is a matter of jealousy. In total, it's a matter of understanding. Those who don't have such rights accept it as the norm and hence try to impose this existence on others, whom enjoy different rights. 

Ninth Amendemtn of the U.S Constitution

"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

Both sides are wrong, the solution to the problem isn't black and white. I think it's ridiculous when people keep pushing the point that tighter gun control actually increases the number of people killed in massacres though.

sc94597 said:

Map of guns per 100 people, by country. Notice how the "third world" has the fewest guns. ;) 

Imagine how it must be for the poorest countries where only militias have guns and are totally at mercy of militias and the like. Hell up until a decade or so ago there where whole neighborhoods on the biggest cities who where like that.

It's near impossible to legally own a weapon here in Brazil and it could have been worse since one of the first things the leftist government did when it came to power was pass a referend to ban gun ownership but that was thankfully overturned. Crime rates have been falling steadily since them with more severe punishment for criminals and an increasingly armed police force.

the comparisons between countries are far too simplified on both sides of the argument. The comparison with Japan is almost laughable here. Yes, Japan will always be the safer country, and even if you made guns legal in Japan that would not change that fact. However I really don't understand the case that lifting the gun ban in Japan would be a good thing.

Different countries have different situations, and it's far more complicated than just high/low crime + gun ban/no gun ban. You can't ban guns in the US, it's just impossible. There's no point in even trying to do that. However I don't see any advantage to lifting the gun ban in Japan either, Japan doesn't have the same kind of problem that we have in the US. To take the point further, i would support legalizing drugs in America, at the very least there is no downside in legalizing pot. With that said, I see no reason to legalize drugs in Japan. Japan has very strict drug laws, and they don't have much trouble at all with drug usage. I don't credit that just to the laws, it's largely because of culture, but why would you change that? They don't have the same problems as the US.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X