By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - If I could not see colors could you help me perceive them?

dsgrue3 said:
Dr.Grass said:
cyberninja45 said:
Dr.Grass said:
Utterly impossible.

Why would you say it is impossible?

It is utterly impossible.

And that's that.

;)

But no really, it is. One could prove it mathamatically, I'm just not gonna do it here.

Interested to know why you think that when the blind are able to see grainy black and white images using technology.

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/smart-takes/bionic-eye-to-help-the-blind-see/25186

Why do you think color is so difficult? It's one additional step.

While I am discussing the actual topic of communicating an aspect of sense perception that is completely foreign to the experience of the subject in question, you are quoting an article that describes the plugging in of electrodes into someone's brain.

These are two fundamentally different topics.

Around the Network
Dr.Grass said:
While I am discussing the actual topic of communicating an aspect of sense perception that is completely foreign to the experience of the subject in question, you are quoting an article that describes the plugging in of electrodes into someone's brain.

In that case, I have no dispute.

dsgrue3 said:
ganoncrotch said:

your brain and eyes are not to be trusted when it comes to color... or much else, a lot of what you "see" is just your brain filling in the blanks of what it thinks it should be seeing

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/60/Grey_square_optical_illusion.PNG in this picture the squares marked A+B are the exact same colour... there is no difference. Don't believe your eyes? or don't believe me, here is a gif of it :) no trickery, just your eyes thinking it is darker because it is in a shadow! http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/93/Optical_illusion_greysquares.gif

Colours and shades are not too far from each other, http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/ColourIllusion2.jpg the second card as in the pink one he is holding in both these pictures is the exact same shade, most peoples eyes will have a hard time seeing them the same because the surroundings are so different that your eyes just guess the last colour.

Think about it like this, you're in a club or a cinema which has dark or really colourful lights around you, you know for a fact that everything in the room is being coloured by the lights around you.... you take the white ticket from your pocket which you got outside to take a look at it... you see it as white, in a room where there is no chance that the paper should appear white to you, but your brain knows it's white.

You are focussed on optical illusions and light. I'm taking a crayon out of a box. In normal incandescent light, it will appear the same to everyone who can perceive color. Do you agree?

optical illusions work just because your eyes are not trustworthy when it comes to exactly what you are in fact looking at, besides if you were born as a wee baby and you looked at orange and saw the colour green, when you're growing up you're going to go to school and be thought all the colours, including how what you are seeing as green is called orange.

I've seen a few bits and pieces of study before which suggested depression could be caused in people who were unable to correctly distinguish and tell the lighter oranges/yellow colours so they were literally living in a much darker and greyer world of their own.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ganoncrotch said:
optical illusions work just because your eyes are not trustworthy when it comes to exactly what you are in fact looking at, besides if you were born as a wee baby and you looked at orange and saw the colour green, when you're growing up you're going to go to school and be thought all the colours, including how what you are seeing as green is called orange.

I've seen a few bits and pieces of study before which suggested depression could be caused in people who were unable to correctly distinguish and tell the lighter oranges/yellow colours so they were literally living in a much darker and greyer world of their own.

Unless you are color deficient, you cannot see green as orange. It simply isn't possible as I've already shown.

I would write you a letter on a blotter of LSD. That should help you see colors.

Around the Network
dsgrue3 said:
Dr.Grass said:

In that case, I have no dispute.

touché

cyberninja45 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
cyberninja45 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
cyberninja45 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
I would listen to tons of classical music and use clips that I think FEEL like the each color.

For example blue might feel like Moonlight Sonata and Yellow might feel like Ode to Joy.

Would that not be very subjective

Yes, but what isn't?

Facts are not subjective

Colors are subjective, just like music. We aren't talking about math.

Ask a professional pigmentation engineer to describe the color Red and you'll get a bunch of facts. Ask a kindergartener to describe red and you will be emotions and/or feels.

If I was going to describe color to the blind I'd rather bring a kindergartener instead of the pigment engineer.

So in a way you are saying there is no right or wrong way to perceive colors.

Yes. If two people see yellow differently neither is wrong.

Yellow is the color of ripe bananas. That could be considered a fact. But we are all different unique people with our own perceptions. How would any of us know if we all see the world in vastly different hues even if the shades are consistant?

dsgrue3 said:
cyberninja45 said:

Now thats a better response and a very interesting one, well the only response I got actually from someone on the thread. So your saying there could be other colors outside the spectrum. But why would it be near impossible to at least imagine it?

It's not like you are using your eye to observe (which might be impossible) it would be in your mind.

It's definitiely imaginable, I just meant I couldn't fathom how it would appear. It's information overload and would probably interfere with our perception now, making everything hazy instead of clear. Kinda like motion blur, except with heat. Well, with infrared anyway.  

Now that I am back.

If I understood this post correctly "new colors" are possible but due to limits of our brain we would not be able to "understand it" or perceive it even though it is there, it would be incomprehensible to our brains.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

cyberninja45 said:
dsgrue3 said:
cyberninja45 said:

Now thats a better response and a very interesting one, well the only response I got actually from someone on the thread. So your saying there could be other colors outside the spectrum. But why would it be near impossible to at least imagine it?

It's not like you are using your eye to observe (which might be impossible) it would be in your mind.

It's definitiely imaginable, I just meant I couldn't fathom how it would appear. It's information overload and would probably interfere with our perception now, making everything hazy instead of clear. Kinda like motion blur, except with heat. Well, with infrared anyway.  

Now that I am back.

If I understood this post correctly "new colors" are possible but due to limits of our brain we would not be able to "understand it" or perceive it even though it is there, it would be incomprehensible to our brains.

I'm just saying visually, the heat signature in addition to the original visible colors would produce a very hazy image. I think our brains could interpret it just fine.

dsgrue3 said:
cyberninja45 said:
dsgrue3 said:
cyberninja45 said:

Now that I am back.

I'm just saying visually, the heat signature in addition to the original visible colors would produce a very hazy image. I think our brains could interpret it just fine.

Ok you mean they would overlap each other.

But isn't that a function of our brain now and the reason we see different "colors" now is because our brain is making sense or interpreting the different wavelengths of light. So if our brain is somehow able to see infrared would it not be in a "new color" to distinguish it from other wavelengths.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)