By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - If I could not see colors could you help me perceive them?

d21lewis said:
They did this in the 80's movie "Mask". I'd just copy that....except, to show you what black was, I'd put my penis in your hand.

This one came out of left field.

Ya got me dyin LOL

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

cyberninja45 said:

Ok you mean they would overlap each other.

But isn't that a function of our brain now and the reason we see different "colors" now is because our brain is making sense or interpreting the different wavelengths of light. So if our brain is somehow able to see infrared would it not be in a "new color" to distinguish it from other wavelengths.

Yes, overlap.

I don't think it would be a "new color" really. I mean, if we were to look at fire for example, it already has blue, red, yellow in it, I just think it would be more foggy like the thermal imaging we see.

dsgrue3 said:

cyberninja45 said:

Ok you mean they would overlap each other.

But isn't that a function of our brain now and the reason we see different "colors" now is because our brain is making sense or interpreting the different wavelengths of light. So if our brain is somehow able to see infrared would it not be in a "new color" to distinguish it from other wavelengths.

Yes, overlap.

I don't think it would be a "new color" really. I mean, if we were to look at fire for example, it already has blue, red, yellow in it, I just think would be more foggy like the thermal imaging we see.

Could it be that in the absence of the mind ability to create a "new color" and distinguish it from the rest of stuff we see, that is why it would overlap and  fog everything else that we see. In other words in the absence of a "sixth sense" to detect this "new" wavelength (like infrared) our brain would use one of our current senses to try and perceive what it is, in this case using sight, but since there is an inability to perceive a new color it mixes everything up or overlaps, a sort of malfunction.

Kind of like what would happen if we could see sound or hear light, it would mess with our clarity of things.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

ECM said:
Solid-Stark said:

No. Colors are quale, therefore properties of mental states (not physical).

An educated man--nice to see.

Likewise.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

cyberninja45 said:
ECM said:
Solid-Stark said:

No. Colors are quale, therefore properties of mental states (not physical).

An educated man--nice to see.

Yes they are quale, and something the mind creates.

So if  you cannot describe the perception of color to someone else as it is something in the mind, does that make it imaginary?

That is the mind-body problem (analogous to the mind and the physical world). One cannot be so sure without a completed neural science, therefore such a conclusion would be logical so as long as there are no contradictions.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)