By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Would Sony be fine with a $499 price tag on the Orbis?

Only if it's a premium SKU. They need a cheaper model at $400 at the most.

Around the Network

I think that $400 is the breaking point for a console now, since the jump in graphics isn't going to be as dramatic as previous generations.

HDTVs running 1080p are the standard now, and it will be nearly another generation before we see new TV with higher resolution his the common (read affordable) market.

GPUs that can run 1080p aren't costly, so really the bulk of the new features will be in HD space and RAM increases. Sony already is running an 8 core processor, which is above normal even by today's specs.

I can't see them, in the current market value, needing to spend more than $300 per unit to boost RAM and HD space. They should be able to offer the PS4 at $400, to keep it viable against the competitors.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Gilgamesh said:
Darc Requiem said:
Split SKU's are stupid. The lower level SKU never has significant sales. They should just save on manufacturing by having one SKU. The Core 360, 20GB PS3, and Wii U Basic models all sold poorly in comparison to their premium counterparts.

Didn't the basic X360 sell the most? I thought there was a chart someone posted before.

It didn't. The core model was always around 20% of sales. People always called it "the tard pack".

I think the sweet spot would be at $450 .... for the normal version.

Gilgamesh said:
KungKras said:
In this economy, an expensive console is suicide.

Wasn't the economy a hell of lot worst 6 years ago when the 7th gen started?

And really most people with a full time job can easily afford $500 if they tried saving up for a couple weeks. When I bought my PS3 it costed me over $700 with tax and one game a little after launch, I was getting paid almost minimum wage back then and I easily afforded it after saving for a couple weeks.

You are talking from a perspective of a hardcore gamer. Yes, you are willing to pay that much money but the normal consumer (which combine are the ones that give the most money to companies) will never pay that money for a gaming console, regardless of their salary. People have more important needs, heck I bet most people will prefer going to a big fancy restaurant with their families than buying a $500 console.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
osed125 said:
Gilgamesh said:
KungKras said:

And really most people with a full time job can easily afford $500 if they tried saving up for a couple weeks. When I bought my PS3 it costed me over $700 with tax and one game a little after launch, I was getting paid almost minimum wage back then and I easily afforded it after saving for a couple weeks.

You are talking from a perspective of a hardcore gamer. Yes you are willing to pay that much money but the normal consumer (which combine are the ones that give the most money to companies) will never pay that money for a gaming console, regardless of their salary.

I think $500 is at a resonable price point, I've seen the "average" consumer spend way more on less. $700 is clearly to much thinking back at it I probably could of waited a lot longer, there's still plenty of PS2 games I've yet to play (not to mention my car was worth $500 at the time lol). But still I'd easily go out and buy a $499 console right now without a worry, so most of the average consumers shouldn't have a big problem.

Gilgamesh said:
osed125 said:
Gilgamesh said:
KungKras said:

You are talking from a perspective of a hardcore gamer. Yes you are willing to pay that much money but the normal consumer (which combine are the ones that give the most money to companies) will never pay that money for a gaming console, regardless of their salary.

I think $500 is at a resonable price point, I've seen the "average" consumer spend way more on less. $700 is clearly to much thinking back at it I probably could of waited a lot longer, there's still plenty of PS2 games I've yet to play (not to mention my car was worth $500 at the time lol). But still I'd easily go out and buy a $499 console right now without a worry, so most of the average consumers shouldn't have a big problem.

Gilgamesh, you're playing with fire on this one lol

$499 is too much

hopefully Sony can make a deal at launch that can make 1 specific PS4(with no additional features) cost $499 for YOU to buy while everybody else around the world buys the $399 PS4's.

I think everybody would be happy then :)

Gilgamesh said:
osed125 said:
Gilgamesh said:
KungKras said:

Again try to think about from the perspective of a normal consumer who doesn't know much about video games and isn't a Sony fan, said person will not care about Sony exclusives, he would only care about few games like CoD (just to give an example), so that person will get the cheapest option available, simple as that, and with a price of $500 I highly doubt it will be the cheapest. Again said person will have other priorities, like I mentioned before, a fancy dinner (just to give a simple and normal example).

Nintendo and PC gamer

They should tag team with AT&T 2 year contract for phone for a 199$ps4!

No qlue why people sook about paying 500 for a console.............you pay more for a mobile phone these days.

Check out my Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePSXcollector