By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Would Sony be fine with a $499 price tag on the Orbis?

With PS, I don't buy the console right at launch. I've Malagasy bought after 1 or 2 pricedrops (The exception being the vita.) So if it's more powerful, I'll gladly take a 500 dollar launch price, I won't be paying that anyway.

Around the Network

Fine? No. Dead in the water? Yes. PS2 era Sony could get away with this. The broke and battered present day version of Sony cannot. Anything above $399 would tantamount to suicide for Sony in the console market.

TheLastStarFighter said:
@Rafux I think it would have to be something like StarTrek's Holodeck, lol. People simply won't pay a fortune for a games machine. It's been shown time again, you need to be the cheapest. Sony established themselves with this strategy, undercutting the Saturn. Mainstream appeal and mainstream price. It worked for PS1, PS2 and Wii. Sony needs something slick, capable, fun and affordable. If it's too cutting edge and expensive they will slip further into a niche market.

that and they can make a big jump at $400 breaking even if they don't have a fancy controller.  Sony needs to market + and exclusives as their console's selling points.  The exclusives alone would be enough if they would just get word out on them

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

For me it depends on what the specs are and launch titles. I haven't bought a console until I had to have it because of a game. Hell. If it had an exclusive Final Fantasy, RE, Team ICO game, GOW, Uncharted or Metal Gear that was really great...I'd be scared to think what I would pay for it.

I would say having a $399 SKU and a $499 SKU wouldn't be too bad. It really depends if you get say a dual shock 4 + console vs having a camera and other stuff with the console too. The former probably deserves $399 whilst the latter deserves $499.

Tease.

Around the Network
platformmaster918 said:
TheLastStarFighter said:
@Rafux I think it would have to be something like StarTrek's Holodeck, lol. People simply won't pay a fortune for a games machine. It's been shown time again, you need to be the cheapest. Sony established themselves with this strategy, undercutting the Saturn. Mainstream appeal and mainstream price. It worked for PS1, PS2 and Wii. Sony needs something slick, capable, fun and affordable. If it's too cutting edge and expensive they will slip further into a niche market.

that and they can make a big jump at $400 breaking even if they don't have a fancy controller.  Sony needs to market + and exclusives as their console's selling points.  The exclusives alone would be enough if they would just get word out on them

Both of you guys are right, I'm just saying that if Sony or MS can bring some really amazing new technology (and they market it well) they could sell it for a high price $500/$600.

Split SKU's are stupid. The lower level SKU never has significant sales. They should just save on manufacturing by having one SKU. The Core 360, 20GB PS3, and Wii U Basic models all sold poorly in comparison to their premium counterparts.

Darc Requiem said:
Split SKU's are stupid. The lower level SKU never has significant sales. They should just save on manufacturing by having one SKU. The Core 360, 20GB PS3, and Wii U Basic models all sold poorly in comparison to their premium counterparts.

Didn't the basic X360 sell the most? I thought there was a chart someone posted before.

It make sense.

KungKras said:
In this economy, an expensive console is suicide.

Wasn't the economy a hell of lot worst 6 years ago when the 7th gen started?

And really most people with a full time job can easily afford $500 if they tried saving up for a couple weeks. When I bought my PS3 it costed me over $700 with tax and one game a little after launch, I was getting paid almost minimum wage back then and I easily afforded it after saving for a couple weeks.