By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Would Sony be fine with a $499 price tag on the Orbis?

Turkish said:
Yes. Especially in Europe. Europeans have been paying €500 for PS2s more than a decade ago.

The electronics industry has changed, people are willing to spend more money on devices, that was not the case when PS3 launched. People pay 500 dollaz on tablets, if PS4 is advertised right, people will want to pay 500 dollaz for it aswel.

I don't know about "dollaz" (™, I guess), but $500 is too much in this economy. $400-$450 max (maybe for a "Deluxe" version) could work, even if it's still a little too high.

€ 500? In Europe? In 2013? It would never sell at that price. Not even a chance. Nobody would buy it at € 500. Sorry.

Around the Network

Sony can offer a $400 console that IS significantly more powerful at close to profit or maybe even profit especially considering the thing won't launch till next year. You guys forget WiiU is expensive because they have a controller with a big touch screen hogging processing power. With a basic controller Sony can focus on specs for the hardware and give their world class developers the chance to play with new stuff. I believe one of the rumors suggested 4gb RAM and a fluent interface where you can play music, browse the internet, and do other stuff while playing games which will give it a new feature set. It will have streaming capabilities with Gaikai of course (whether they work this in with + we don't know yet but we'll see). These are "next-gen" features that come with a little jump in specs. I mean the PS3 has 256mb of RAM so that alone will see a significant jump. What do you think has been selling PS3 since Blu-Ray players have gotten less expensive? It's been the exclusives and the free online. If they start marketing plus more you could see an even bigger lead. That's serious momentum based on a diverse library of exclusives which is as future proof a strategy as any. The system won't cost more than $400 and will make a significant leap. I think they should make + give you the ability to stream all the PS1 and 2 classics as well as the kind of deals they offer now. Show off Uncharted on an upgraded machine and watch people drool considering what ND did with 6 year old tech on Uncharted 3.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

I have purchase every single Sony game console at launch since the PS1 to the recent Vita. But there is no way in hell I will pay more then $350 for another Sony console at launch. $800+ for the PS3 launch was my breaking point.

bonkers555 said:
I have purchase every single Sony game console at launch since the PS1 to the recent Vita. But there is no way in hell I will pay more then $350 for another Sony console at launch. $800+ for the PS3 launch was my breaking point.

if that was your breaking point then why aren't you willing to pay half of it?

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

MattyPeq said:
Turkish said:
Yes. Especially in Europe. Europeans have been paying €500 for PS2s more than a decade ago.

The electronics industry has changed, people are willing to spend more money on devices, that was not the case when PS3 launched. People pay 500 dollaz on tablets, if PS4 is advertised right, people will want to pay 500 dollaz for it aswel.

I don't know about "dollaz" (™, I guess), but $500 is too much in this economy. $400-$450 max (maybe for a "Deluxe" version) could work, even if it's still a little too high.

€ 500? In Europe? In 2013? It would never sell at that price. Not even a chance. Nobody would buy it at € 500. Sorry.

I'd pay 500€. And i'd be happy if it weren't just 400€. Srcew that, i don't want it to be cheap. I want a leap as big as possible. I'd be totally dissappointed by a lame 400€ pricetag everyone demands. Heck, if you want a thing that reflects nowadays' standard technique... buy a WiiU.

I'd be even paying 600€.

must-have-list for platforms i don't own yet:

WiiU: Donkey Kong

XBone: Dead Rising 3, Ryse

Around the Network

$499 is not too bad if the system is good quality, if it makes them good profit then I don't see why not.

People spend more than that on smartphones and tablets which are unlikely to last them half the lifespan of a console.

platformmaster918 said:
bonkers555 said:

if that was your breaking point then why aren't you willing to pay half of it?

I'm sorry, what I meant was that $350 is the breaking point for any new game console I will buy at launch.

thats too high, thats the price point that the PS3 released at and we all know how that went. they should release 2 models, one at 399$ and one at 449$

One thing to add to this discussion is inflation.
Those 600€ back in 2005 (i'm taking 2005 because we're discussing now about one year before the next console will release) are the same as today 670€.

so if you talk about releasing a new console asking for a pricetag of 400€, this is the same as 355€ back in 2005.

So what you are demanding is releasing a console for about HALF the pricetag than done with PS3. You may get cheap hardware, which won't be able to compete for very long.

must-have-list for platforms i don't own yet:

WiiU: Donkey Kong

XBone: Dead Rising 3, Ryse

$500 is fine to me, I want a console that brings beautiful graphics and lasts for years. But I will only buy it when they release the first AAA exclusive.