By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Would Sony be fine with a $499 price tag on the Orbis?

It seems too much for the situacion of Europe for example...

Around the Network

$399 would be very very nice and since i'm usually estimating too low it'll probably be $499 at launch.
That's too much for me, it'll mean a €449/€499 in europe too.

And don't compare gaming consoles to phones, tablets or motorized vehicles if you will.

kowenicki said:
Turkish said:
Yes. Especially in Europe. Europeans have been paying €500 for PS2s more than a decade ago.

The electronics industry has changed, people are willing to spend more money on devices, that was not the case when PS3 launched. People pay 500 dollaz on tablets, if PS4 is advertised right, people will want to pay 500 dollaz for it aswel.

Really?  no.

Im sure you just make stuff up and hope nobody knows different or checks. 

The PS2 launched at £299 in the UK.  I remember it.  

The euro didn't even exist properly at the time (notes and coins 2002) and the ps2 launched at 2990 francs in France, that would be 450 euros back then, but you are talking about a TOTALLY different exchange rate climate.  Also the price fell away very, very quickly when sales didn't take off in the Eurozone.  Indeed sales of the ps2 began to collapse globally until they really dropped the price and brought out the slim. 

So not only are you comparing apples and oranges, your starting point is just wrong. 

500 euros for a console and you can kiss any meaningful sales goodbye.  It won't happen. 

It was 20,000 belgian francs which translates to €500, I'm sure in german marks and dutch guldens it was also around €500. The euro didn't exist then but since you live in the UK you never were aware that stores had Euro prices long before the euro was officially introduced.

kowenicki said:

Really?  no.

Im sure you just make stuff up and hope nobody knows different or checks. 

The PS2 launched at £299 in the UK.  I remember it.  

The euro didn't even exist properly at the time (notes and coins 2002) and the ps2 launched at 2990 francs in France, that would be 450 euros back then, but you are talking about a TOTALLY different exchange rate climate.  Also the price fell away very, very quickly when sales didn't take off in the Eurozone.  Indeed sales of the ps2 began to collapse globally until they really dropped the price and brought out the slim. 

So not only are you comparing apples and oranges, your starting point is just wrong. 

500 euros for a console and you can kiss any meaningful sales goodbye.  It won't happen. 

I remember the launch too, I was in France at the time. Thought the prizes were waaaaaayyy too steep. And they were. A very strong pound at the time though. But the prices at launch... ouch. They can't afford something like that again, certainly not with the current market and competitors.

weaveworld said:
$399 would be very very nice and since i'm usually estimating too low it'll probably be $499 at launch.

And don't compare gaming consoles to phones, tablets or motorized vehicles if you will.

how many people are actually productive with their phone or tablet?  I'm tired of this discussion when people don't NEED to browse the web on a tablet and they certainly don't NEED to play angry birds on their phones that they pay hundreds of dollars for.  I'm sorry but this is just not a valid counter point.  People usually get about as much "work" done on their tablet or phone as they do on a gaming console, especially the younger demographic.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

No!! $399 at the most

platformmaster918 said:
weaveworld said:

how many people are actually productive with their phone or tablet?  I'm tired of this discussion when people don't NEED to browse the web on a tablet and they certainly don't NEED to play angry birds on their phones that they pay hundreds of dollars for.  I'm sorry but this is just not a valid counter point.  People usually get about as much "work" done on their tablet or phone as they do on a gaming console, especially the younger demographic.

But it just doesn't work that way. Yet. The younger demographic is mostly depended on the willingness of the older demographic to pay their consoles btw. A phone nowadays is a basic need so that comparison we can skip i guess?. A tablet, may be cheaper to produce, also has more easy to access features we daily use. Checking and writing mail on a console vs tablet? Besides, the tablet is often used by the entire family, the console not so much. They made some big steps though, with streaming and blu-ray and the likes but in all, a tablet just seems much more worth to a household.

platformmaster918 said:
weaveworld said:

Unfortunately, tablets will own home consoles in graphics, because tablet players like to pay $600-$1000 just to play angry birds while console gamers want cheap products but at the same time, they want that those cheap consoles can run beautiful graphics without being too much far from gaming PCs.

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Dgc1808 said:

SONY had a 100$ price cut in the PS3's first and a second year to stay competitive/relevant while the system started out at a 200$ loss. I doubt they've got the balls to launch at over 399 again.

You mean 599??

Huh? Maybe it's an issue with my grammar. At 499/599, they were taking a 200$+ loss on each system. 

4 ≈ One

Dgc1808 said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Dgc1808 said:

SONY had a 100$ price cut in the PS3's first and a second year to stay competitive/relevant while the system started out at a 200$ loss. I doubt they've got the balls to launch at over 399 again.

You mean 599??

Huh? Maybe it's an issue with my grammar. At 499/599, they were taking a 200$+ loss on each system. 

This loss was due to Blu-ray driver that cost over $200 in 2006, but now we have much cheaper and faster BD drives costing less than $50, so Sony-MS can launch a $500-$600 console without any loss this time.