By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Nintendo Must Launch A New Console In 2014

Heh, I just saw this article on N4G. The early 3DS price cut was bad enough, but if Nintendo were to release a full-blown successor to the Wii U within just two years of it's launch they'd be effectively digging their own grave; no one would ever trust them again.
I think the Gamecube's failure and the Wii's massive success(and longevity) pretty much prove that Nintendo needs to provide a radically different experience from their competitors if they want to survive in the home console market.

Around the Network
Devil_Survivor said:
Another article written by a moron that doesn't known anything about the gaming industry or its history. Most of the time the most graphical advanced systems don't win in sales in any given generation.

+100

34 years playing games.

Oh, God. It is the Wii HD idea all over again. It was wrong then. It is wrong now. It will forever be a horrible, wrong, terrible, stupid idea.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Entire OP is stupid. However coming from a tech oriented slashgear, I'm not surprised.

Well, this was actually quite good article.

Wii U will be in deep trouble when nextbox/ps4 launch, because it will not match with the tech on those consoles. I can't see the gamepad to be even remotely as popular as the wiimote was. Wii U will do between gc and n64.

Around the Network

Am I wrong, or to release a new console in 2014, wouldn't Nintendo have to have one well along the way in development already?  2013 starts in 2 weeks.  The company is still absorbing the losses incurred from the R&D/manufacture of their already next-gen 3DS and WiiU.  So, there is no way they could have had resources devoted to launching another brand new console one year from now.  There is no logic behind making a case for this.  I think there would be a certain amount of public mistrust for Nintendo to get behind the Wii U and then say after one year, "This was just a teaser to wet your appetite.  Thanks for spending the $349 (+games) on us, but here is our REAL next-gen console."  How would you avoid the feeling of public betrayal involved there?  I mean, we aren't talking about a $70 price cut where giving 20 free games softens the blow on early adopters (I actually wish I was an early adopter of 3DS as I'm still waiting to see Fire Emblem available for purchase in the eShop and some of the other ambassador titles).  And, you couldn't say, well they can maintain the Wii U side by side with their "2014 - Real - Next Gen Edition" console either.  Nothing good comes of that kind of overreach as shown by Sega simultaneously trying to juggle Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, and Saturn all at once in an effort to cater to old and new markets at the same time.  It doesn't work as a business model.

WiiU on a 2 year life cycle? LOL

kitler53 said:
HappySqurriel said:
kitler53 said:
Conegamer said:
I don't get why people refuse to think that the WiiU is not next-gen, or that the other consoles will be a marked improvement over the current ones...

i don't get why people refuse to think the other consoles can't make a marked improvement over 7 year old (8 by the time it releases) technology.  did the world suddenly stop advancing? 

Sony and Microsoft produced larger, more energy hungry consoles than had been done before, sold them at a higher price and took larger losses than (pretty much) every console manufacturer had before when releasing the PS3 and XBox 360 in order to make them as powerful as they possibly could be. It is only with the super-slim PS3 that Sony has reduced the size and energy consumption (and possibly cost) of the PS3 to a level that was typical of most consoles at launch.

Sony and Microsoft can produce more powerful systems but to get the kind of performance increase some people expect they're into the unmarketable trade-off zone. Essentially, if you consider where the PS2 was when the PS3 was released and compare that with the PS3 today (super-slim model that is bigger, uses more energy and is more expensive than the slim PS2 was at the time) it is fair to argue that the PS4 would need to be bigger, more energy hungry and more expensive than the PS3 was at launch to maintain the same increase in processing power.

MS didn't take massive losses on their hardware, only sony did and they did so because of blu ray.  or did you forget that stand alone blu ray players cost more than the ps3 at ps3's launch?

Are you expecting MS to release at a lower price than last gen, $400?  if not then the launch cost of the 360 is a none factor.

it will have been 8 years.  360 had a signifant leap over xbox after only 5 so we have ~1.5 standard gens worth of advancement to look forward to.

Really? because last time I checked they lost a fair amount of money on the 360 (Although I'm sure not nearly as devistating as the PS3 was for Sony).

http://www.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-taking-126-hit-per-xbox-360-6140383

Also, according to wikipedia, it seems that M$ did not start making a profit from it's games division until 2008 (I seem to remember other articles as well but could not find them)

"Despite the relatively strong sales figures, Microsoft's gaming division was losing money. Through 2005, the Xbox gaming division had lost over $4 billion,[116] however, Microsoft expected the console to start making money in 2008[117] due to a loss leader market strategy of selling consoles below cost in order to obtain market saturation and gain profits on software and peripherals with a much higher profit margin.[118][119] Additionally, Microsoft took a charge of $1 billion dollars on its June 2007 income statement to account for the cost of replacing bricked Xbox 360s.[120]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

kitler53 said:
Conegamer said:
I don't get why people refuse to think that the WiiU is not next-gen, or that the other consoles will be a marked improvement over the current ones...

i don't get why people refuse to think the other consoles can't make a marked improvement over 7 year old (8 by the time it releases) technology.  did the world suddenly stop advancing? 

No, but the economy did. People won't go out and pay more than £400/$450 for a new system now, that is almost certain. So unless you sell at a dramatic loss, you won't see a marked improvement.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

dsgrue3 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
srry, i don't look at functionality. i look at games, and if ninty can create innovative games then that's wht will drive the system. ninty still has the numbers for thier main franchises to steady wiiu sales, so i'm betting on ninty, and not this speculation.

i'll admit Wiiu will not be as strong/big as Wii was, but WiiU will not sruggle. WiiU will be the SNES to NES, but ninty won't win the 8th gen. and if they do. it won't be by the current 20m units.

Functionality is what allowed the Wii to gather so much core and casual support. The games were secondary to the innovation. This time around, Nintendo built more of a core-gamer console, which will not draw casuals. (Do casuals even know about the Wii U?)

Well, Nintendo is a very smart company. The Wii U will be profitable and thus successful, but in comparison to sales of this generation and next generation, it will fall flat. With the next release of a console, either by MS or Sony, the Wii U sales will be abysmal. Only the hardcore Nintendo fans will buy it.

I'd be interested to see how many people that did not own a Wii purchased a Wii U. 

in between every Wii casual game, there's a Nintendo original franchise.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Wii_video_games

and while Wii sports is by far the biggest selling of the lot, i think the rest could sell the system without the casual market, although, i'm sure casuals had some part in making those games sale aswell.

i think either way the casual market in the 8th gen. is irrelevant anyway, as tthey won't feel a need to get ninty's new console or anything consisdered as such.

if ninty wants to attract the the casual market again, they can by making those same games that made Wii popular. but the thing is, ninty needs a new gemic, and motion controls won't cut it this gen.

i bet casuals don't know about WiiU and at best 70% of them, won't be interested.