By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How has Sony not fixed marketing yet?

Squilliam said:
Ultr said:
Squilliam said:
Well Infamous 2 was boring, Resistance 3 came after the utterly terrible Resistance 2 which burned a lot of people and Twisted Metal was always niche. This is hardly the stuff for a great marketing campaign really.

ok I will just quote you because you called Resistance 2 Terrible...

Because its an awesome game. I dont care if "Fans" got burned because the game stands on its own and is a very very great game.

+ The ending is absolute wonderful. Man my heart pumped so hard. great experience

(R3 is amazing btw)

Also Infamous 2 is a great game ^^

The fact that it seemed that everybody died kind of left a very bad taste in my mouth. I liked Infamous 1 but Infamous 2 just seemed too repetitive.

I like how they didn't strip you of your powers like some games *cough* god of war* cough.  It was awesome to see your powers escalate to the point where you could zip around and summon ice spikes through the whole street.  Also the difference between good and evil was a lot more clear with ice and fire and significantly different endings.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
kowenicki said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
kowenicki said:
sony have pushed the boat out on TV ads recently. far more than anyone else.

No they havent, just Uncharted 3 and the Vita. The problem is their budget is primarily used to make games and everything else comes second. With Microsoft its the opposite, marketing > games.

Yes there has.

You dont live where I live. I notice you only replied to my post and not everyone else saying the same as me.

I'm flattered.

Playstation products have seen unprecedented advertsising this holidays in the UK, seriously huge amounts.  Far more than Ninty and MS combined.  Seen a little bit of Ninty and virtually none from MS.

I doubt that. Im willing to bet Sonys marketing budget isnt a quarter of Microsofts. Microsofts budget to advertise Windows 8 alone is crazy.

Im sorry, wtf are you talking about.    What does that have to do with gaming.  We are talking about gaming here, clearly.

Go ask the other UK users in here if Im right.

Well my friends that's the UK, which makes up a fraction of the gaming market. In North America they don't advertise much at all. 

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.

HesAPooka said:

Well my friends that's the UK, which makes up a fraction of the gaming market. In North America they don't advertise much at all. 

I think it depends on what channel(s) you watch and the time you are watching it. I see a good share of Sony's commercials. I see more of Nintendo's and Microsoft's though, that it will make you think Sony doesn't advertise their games or games that are on their platforms.

Godchild1020 said:
HesAPooka said:

I think it depends on what channel(s) you watch and the time you are watching it. I see a good share of Sony's commercials. I see more of Nintendo's and Microsoft's though, that it will make you think Sony doesn't advertise their games or games that are on their platforms.

I agree that they DO aadvertise, but from my experience I rarely see Sony ads. I see Xbox ads all the time. Wii U ads are starting to increase as well. 

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.

TheLastStarFighter said:
@Platform

I don't think advertising is problem, I think it's the game itself. The games you mentioned to me sound/look boring. More specifically, the premise of the games don't interest me. Gameplay, graphics...these things are important, but so is the theme. If someone said to me "In this game, you get to play as Batman in an open-world style where every villian from his history is trying to escape from Arkam Asylum. Use his gadgets and skills and stop them!" Sold! Infamous...whatever it is... not so much.

However, I find it interesting that you say they are "deserving" of more sales. We could play a game and you could change my mind on those undersold franchises. I am Sony's ideal potential customer. I like most types of games. I have low brand loyalty. I don't own a PS3(yet) mostly because it was cheaper early on to buy both a wii and an XBox than 1 PS3. I'm a former happy PS2 gamer. I've played and enjoyed GoW, and Uncharted sounds interesting. Can you describe Infamous or Resistence in one or two sentences that make it sound awesome? I would describe GoW as "Play as Kratos, a warrior from ancienct Greece who must battle the God of War using his unique chained blades. Find treasure and upgrade your powers as you battle through a beautifully created world inspired by greek mythology in an incredible mix of classic action and adventure". Can you make those games sound good? If so I might go out and buy that nice-looking new white PS3 and some games!

Isn't that what an add is for, make anything look interesting

Resistence 3: Humanity have lost the war, 98 precent of the world's population gone. The rest lives on day by day knowing their lives are all at an edge. The worlds last hope comes in a form of Joseph Capelli. You must travel across the wastland that was once The United States of America, using the monster's own weapons against the them. One last fight.

Infamous 2: Play as the ultimate hero or the uitimate douchebag in the open world of the flood devastated city of New Marais. Where you prepare your powers by saving or destorying the city to fight the end. The beast.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Around the Network
Laurel Aitken said:
kowenicki said:
sony have pushed the boat out on TV ads recently. far more than anyone else.

And are the ads any good???? Or at least decent????? Sony has a record of bad advertising.

Finally, do you think ads have helped to move hardware/software in the UK?????

There are tonnes of PS Vita ads, but they're not that great. I find that they are trying too hard to be "cool" and are too serious. The voiceover is annoying too.

The Wonderbook ads are pretty decent though and I think they could work pretty well at shifting some units. Mentioning J K Rowling is going to be very effective too.

I don't think that advertising differently would have had a major impact. You gotta create games that people want to purchase.

cunger said:

I don't think that advertising differently would have had a major impact. You gotta create games that people want to purchase.

yes and they have those.  The people that play these games or see me play them think they either are or look awesome and usually end up buying them or buy a PS3 if they see enough.  The problem is they don't know about them.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

I live in The Netherlands, see a fair amount of PS3 amd PSV ads over here, problem is that these games are simply not wanted by millions of gamers.

HesAPooka said:
Godchild1020 said:
HesAPooka said:

I agree that they DO aadvertise, but from my experience I rarely see Sony ads. I see Xbox ads all the time. Wii U ads are starting to increase as well. 

This. Microsoft floods the market where it counts to flood it.