By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Mob blames Mass Effect for school shootings.

http://kotaku.com/5968683/mob-blames-mass-effect-for-school-shooting-is-embarrassingly-wrong

In the wake of the terrible tragedy in Connecticut, initial reports said the shooter was a 24 year-old named Ryan Lanza. Online, people quickly located a Ryan Lanza on Facebook and searched through his profile to see if there were any "clues" they could pin the shooting on. They found their clues...but the wrong Lanza.

As we now know, the shooter was apparently Adam Lanza, the younger brother of a man named Ryan Lanza (It's unclear if the killer's brother and the Ryan Lanza on Facebook are the same person, though some details match).

But during those initial reports, a mob of angry Facebook users noticed that Ryan Lanza had liked Mass Effect on Facebook. Coupled with news reports that a Fox News expert connected the horrific shooting to video games, some felt like this was proof positive that games were to blame.

A Facebook pile-on began. "There is a connection between violent games and senseless violence in real life," wrote Facebook user Becky Laird Gluff. Another user, Melanie Bowers, said, "Ban this game and the people who created such sickness." And Catherine Barowski Plummer even wrote, "I am sure none of these precious children had this game on their Santa list... God help protect us from all the evil our society promotes." (More in the above gallery)

"Ban this game and the people who created such sickness."

(Somewhat ironically, that Fox News expert also blamed Facebook for what happened.)

A few hundred comments in, the mob was in full force, when a Reddit thread seems to have picked up on what was going down.

Video games have long been a scapegoat. The constant finger-pointing has made many gamers defensive—perhaps overly so. The next thousand or so comments that followed were gamers sticking up for Mass Effect, pointing out that the alleged perpetrator probably drank water and ate bread, so many we should ban those, too. But hours later, what exactly are they now sticking up for? That was the wrong Lanza.

It's down right sad that this tragedy is being blamed on games, and Mass Effect at that. When will people wake up and put the blame solely on the individual responsible. Stop using video games as and escape goat for everything that happens wrong in this world. If the real kill had been playing Mass Effect maybe he would have had a change of heart. What do you guys think?

Around the Network

I would figure it was more obvious that this guy just had serious mommy issues

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Could he not have shot these idiots instead?

Errr, this is the Internet; people go crazy about every little thing all the time. I find it strange that some videogame fans get so over-sensitive about it. Just a tip, STAY OFF of YouTube, it will hurt your innocence =P

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

It's true! we need a law that prevents easy access to such games!!!

...oh, wait...

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

What a bunch of idiots.

Lol Mass Effect is a tps/rpg taking place in space if he liked Star Trek would they point out that too?

I like to see Jack Thompson take a crack at this.

I wouldn't be so quick to laugh this off. Remember that mission where Cerberus attacks Grissom Academy? I haven't heard anything about the particular weapon used, but if it turns out the guy used a mech... just remember, I told you so.