By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - There are too many trolls

Are there?

Yes 157 82.20%

No 34 17.80%

Total:191

Sometimes I want to punch some of you guys with a banana for being so uneducated in gaming or if it's because you're trolling. 

Here you go.

Around the Network

Just report these users. I find that the majority of trolling is done by the new users and those without an avatar.
And shockingly, those with a low post count seem to do their fair share of trolling as well, although in a more discrete manner.

Mods definitely need to be more aggressive towards these people. If a thread is getting derailed, step in and give an unofficial warning if necessary before it gets out of hand. Also you should give warnings/bans for those there just to annoying people.(Mods know who I'm talking about)

If many people are complaining about a certain users posts even if they dont' report them....please take action. 

Carl2291 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
I don't think my honest opinion on the matter is gonna be very pleasant nor will be liked by many. I honestly have given up on the whole situation.

Youre on a forum. This thread is pretty much perfect for airing(sp?) whats bugging you.

Dont name names, dont be insulting... Let your opinion be known!

haha the thing I'm not that good with handling situations like this with words..that's a fault I have. I shall try and keep stating my issues short and simple

1. I have some serious issues with the moderation of this site. It's next to impossible to go into details about this because I will need to name names. But axum has already heard what my opinions on this. I only told him because he visited the official vita thread and asked to do so regarding any moderation issues we have. The sensitivity, letting personal feelings get in the way of moderation, not being consistent etc are some of the problems I see.

2. The sales generation....it's fucked up. When I first joined here, it was different than what it is now. This is my first game related forum. Before this I was in various anime/manga/graphic design forums and even worked as a mod for two sites. I joined because I started to read some really facsinating threads and posts here. Users like Joeorc used to make these long yet informative posts (Jeff Rigby like posts if you know what I mean...from Gaf). So I joined up and enjoyed this site a lot. I became very active too. But in the past year or two I have come to realize there's a lot of sales related resentment between different fan bases. Discussing sales is fine since that's the core of this site but using it to fight the good fight is pretty lame. I wish we had more threads on hey this game has this feature which makes it really good maybe even better than the competition like threads. Those would be fun to argue in. But now many great users have left or become inactive so such threads are very rare.

The reason why I brought up sales in this thread is because sadly it's a circle of haterade when it comes to sales. Unless you are absolutely Naive, you should not assume your favorite company will be on top of sales forever.  

With this I'm about to address something that is not exactly pleasant but something I feel is the core of the problem of trolling in this site. Nintendo fans have been saying how arrogant sony as a company AND how fans of PS were during when PS was the top dog so to speak. Yet ironically they have now become what they hated once. Sales have been a tool they have been using to attack ps and to a lesser extent MS at times. May it be hardware or even software....sales have become a holy grail of sorts suddenly to them. This is not a smart thing to do by any fan base because I seriously believe this is going to bite them in the ass...as it did for PS fans at the start of the gen. I think it has started to show now too with the wiiu. IF the wiiu does as well as the wii then it would be all fine and dandy but if it doesn't then we should brace ourselves some real tough times ahead because the 'sales' will be used to get back at them.

We already saw some examples of this with the recent 'we need to talk about this' flop game threads. It was stupid when it was done first and the moderation should have discouraged it. It was never meant to bring about good discussion now was it? I mean who are we kidding? It was to troll. Plain and simple. If we let it go this can happen more often than not. Not gonna lie I had the urge to make a few threads myself..but chose not to. I'm not perfect either but I know there is no use in acting the same. If not I would have made threads like tank tank tank tanked at the meta..we need to talk about it or something. What's the use really

I am a vita fan and I have expressed my disappointment with how the vita and the fanbase is treated here before also. being called a cult, saying we are a weird bunch for actually having fun (no joke) while the hardware sales are bad..and even thread after thread either being made to troll the system and the fans OR to derail news threads have been very common practise now. We had a good example of this just yesterday. 

So yeah ...I know not all nintendo fans are like that. I also know some PS and XBOX fans are the same. Every camp has the same types of problem users. But yeah the above mentioned are two of my biggest issues with the site and I have tried to make it sound less offensive to others as possible :D

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

I think the issue on here is more fan-boys than trolls. Although it's certainly not uncommon for said fan-boys to troll. The issue is people who are so set in what they think is "better" than it consumes everything they talk about. It becomes like a sports team that they support no matter what.

They kill meaningful conversation and drag the whole website down.

M.U.G.E.N said:

1. I have some serious issues with the moderation of this site. It's next to impossible to go into details about this because I will need to name names. But axum has already heard what my opinions on this. I only told him because he visited the official vita thread and asked to do so regarding any moderation issues we have. The sensitivity, letting personal feelings get in the way of moderation, not being consistent etc are some of the problems I see.

I thought the Official Vita thread was the last bastion of not having to hear shit talked about the Vita?  I have to admit.  I kind of feel sorry for Sony fans right now.  The 3DS doom crowd switched to the Vita.  There was also a rough start with PS3 but it has been decently smooth sailing for the past few years.  However, on the hand held front Vita is taking a lot of heat.  Some of it might be warranted but most of it is just trying to beat it to death.  Gets old fast.

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:
Carl2291 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
I don't think my honest opinion on the matter is gonna be very pleasant nor will be liked by many. I honestly have given up on the whole situation.

Youre on a forum. This thread is pretty much perfect for airing(sp?) whats bugging you.

haha the thing I'm not that good with handling situations like this with words..that's a fault I have. I shall try and keep stating my issues short and simple

2. The sales generation....it's fucked up. When I first joined here, it was different than what it is now. This is my first game related forum. Before this I was in various anime/manga/graphic design forums and even worked as a mod for two sites. I joined because I started to read some really facsinating threads and posts here. Users like Joeorc used to make these long yet informative posts (Jeff Rigby like posts if you know what I mean...from Gaf). So I joined up and enjoyed this site a lot. I became very active too. But in the past year or two I have come to realize there's a lot of sales related resentment between different fan bases. Discussing sales is fine since that's the core of this site but using it to fight the good fight is pretty lame. I wish we had more threads on hey this game has this feature which makes it really good maybe even better than the competition like threads. Those would be fun to argue in. But now many great users have left or become inactive so such threads are very rare.

The reason why I brought up sales in this thread is because sadly it's a circle of haterade when it comes to sales. Unless you are absolutely Naive, you should not assume your favorite company will be on top of sales forever.  

With this I'm about to address something that is not exactly pleasant but something I feel is the core of the problem of trolling in this site. Nintendo fans have been saying how arrogant sony as a company AND how fans of PS were during when PS was the top dog so to speak. Yet ironically they have now become what they hated once. Sales have been a tool they have been using to attack ps and to a lesser extent MS at times. May it be hardware or even software....sales have become a holy grail of sorts suddenly to them. This is not a smart thing to do by any fan base because I seriously believe this is going to bite them in the ass...as it did for PS fans at the start of the gen. I think it has started to show now too with the wiiu. IF the wiiu does as well as the wii then it would be all fine and dandy but if it doesn't then we should brace ourselves some real tough times ahead because the 'sales' will be used to get back at them.

We already saw some examples of this with the recent 'we need to talk about this' flop game threads. It was stupid when it was done first and the moderation should have discouraged it. It was never meant to bring about good discussion now was it? I mean who are we kidding? It was to troll. Plain and simple. If we let it go this can happen more often than not. Not gonna lie I had the urge to make a few threads myself..but chose not to. I'm not perfect either but I know there is no use in acting the same. If not I would have made threads like tank tank tank tanked at the meta..we need to talk about it or something. What's the use really

I am a vita fan and I have expressed my disappointment with how the vita and the fanbase is treated here before also. being called a cult, saying we are a weird bunch for actually having fun (no joke) while the hardware sales are bad..and even thread after thread either being made to troll the system and the fans OR to derail news threads have been very common practise now. We had a good example of this just yesterday. 

So yeah ...I know not all nintendo fans are like that. I also know some PS and XBOX fans are the same. Every camp has the same types of problem users. But yeah the above mentioned are two of my biggest issues with the site and I have tried to make it sound less offensive to others as possible :D

If you want threads that talk about games (gameplay, like you mentioned), make such threads.

Granted, some of them bomb, but you just have to find the right game, and you can't know until you try.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Carl2291 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

If you want threads that talk about games (gameplay, like you mentioned), make such threads.

Granted, some of them bomb, but you just have to find the right game, and you can't know until you try.

yea no. That's not gonna work...I honestly have no faith whatsoever of such threads bringing up healthy discussion anymore. Which is why I'm happy about official threads..not just the vita thread even the Ragnarok thread or the All stars thread...it's a lot of fun and I actually feel like I'm on a gaming forum and is part of a gaming community

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

sethnintendo said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

I thought the Official Vita thread was the last bastion of not having to hear shit talked about the Vita?  I have to admit.  I kind of feel sorry for Sony fans right now.  The 3DS doom crowd switched to the Vita.  There was also a rough start with PS3 but it has been decently smooth sailing for the past few years.  However, on the hand held front Vita is taking a lot of heat.  Some of it might be warranted but most of it is just trying to beat it to death.  Gets old fast.

the doom never left the vita....and it was there even before we knew what it was! lol

as for the official thread, trust me when we get critical we get REALLY critical...I believe there's some argument going on even now. But it's all well grounded and devoid of insults to each other so usually it brings up some real good points too. You should have seen when I was ranting during E3 and TGS along with others...or when Euphoria was going mad at the first few months cuz he wasn't hearing enough RPG news! :P We are an overall a optimistic and happy bunch tho..we really enjoy the system and it shows. But we discuss both the good and the bad...but in that respect we focus mainly on the games itself and not that much on sales. For example the Presentation in All stars sucks. Love the game but that aspect is really really bad. Etc.

oh and the official thread gets trolled too ya know :D but not as much most other threads which is why it's so active and popular now. We even had at least 4-5 users joining the site just to post there. It's a nice lil community (or a cult as a two members on this site has said about us lol)

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

I have never in all my time here reported another user and I see no reason to start now.

I've actually found this holiday season to be rather tame compared to years prior.

I also haven't noticed many trolls, just people who are sensitive and people who love their consoles of choice a bit too much.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

To me its the hypocrites. I mainly go by facts whether its MS,Sony or Nintendo. Some people tout Vgchartz as facts when their is evidence against it. "Equal posters" tend to actually be very biased. I think these people should defend anything that is fact and all that is not fact, but that is my opinion on this. I am going to have to take a break before I do break.