By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Vita has outlasted the 3ds

VGKing said:

It's not that they deemed the 3DS worth of the $250 price tag, they just didn't expect it to drop so quickly.
This is why people need to do their research and why tech specs do matter. Anyone who knew anything about  tech specs would tell you that $250 was way too much for a 3DS at the time. The $250 Vita announcement at E3 should have been proof enough.

So long story short, those people are lucky there was an ambassador program at all...

You're assuming people didn't do their research. What info do you have to support that claim?

I know I bought it at 250$ because I wanted it, at that price. I was a happy buyer. The Ambassador prog for me was a bonus. Personal testimony, yes, but it's better than none. People who complained are mostly people who didn't even buy it (I know, I've been reading the comments on here and I know who's been buying what).

Around the Network
VGKing said:
happydolphin said:
BasilZero said:

They are having losses with the Vita, didnt deny that which is probably why  - no scratch that, it IS the reason why they are ripping people off with the Vita memory card prices.

P.S. I dont know, I still find the "Ambassador" program to be a bit of a joke, a few GBA games was it? Not even NDS games >_>?

The Ambassador program was a non-mandatory "thank you" to those who bought the system at a higher price. I people bought it at that price, they deemed the system worthy of that price. Well, consumers vote with their pockets so not everyone agreed.

If they wanted to do that, they would need a very solid launch, much closer to the U's launch than to the 3DS', in terms of launch window software.

If you want a console selling at a high price, it can't have no games early on like the 3DS did. Even the vita was limited in software, but at least it had Uncharted.

It's not that they deemed the 3DS worth of the $250 price tag, they just didn't expect it to drop so quickly.
This is why people need to do their research and why tech specs do matter. Anyone who knew anything about  tech specs would tell you that $250 was way too much for a 3DS at the time. The $250 Vita announcement at E3 should have been proof enough.

So long story short, those people are lucky there was an ambassador program at all...

So the reason 3DS wasn't selling like it should have is because of tech?

Vita seems to have the tech, why is it selling so badly?

Tech had nothing to do with 3DS' early struggles.

The Vita sales have been a complete disaster any way you slice it. Sony will sell half of their projected numbers and post holiday sales will return to being brutal. This thread makes no sense. 9 months to sell what another console sold in 5 when it wasn't selling accirding to expectations?

pezus said:

No, it just needed a huge price cut a few months after release.

Because Nintendo has higher sales expectations (clarified by edit) and more options.

Excellent observation, no panic pricecut.

Around the Network
pezus said:
happydolphin said:
pezus said:

No, it just needed a huge price cut a few months after release.

Because Nintendo has higher sales expectations (clarified by edit) and more options.

Yes, and shouldn't we adjust our expectations too since Sony and Nintendo's expectations are not the same?

Your post made it sound pretty much like you were putting them on the same footing. Logically, unless the expectations were not magnitudes higher, the 3DS didn't need a pricecut. Just look at the graph I posted earlier.

Being more amicable though, I actually agree with your reply, and that's exactly what I was asking here -> http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4962357

This thread makes zero sense. Vita sales are brutal no matter what spin you put on it. Its a damn shame as well as even though i lean towards nintendo i would have loved a closer race bringing out the best of the two companies.

pezus said:

It clearly needed one, otherwise Nintendo wouldn't have done it. Do you think they wanted to lose so much money right away?

P, if that were true, wouldn't Sony also have to? Sony is in much worse shape than Nintendo, Ninty is in ok shape financially speaking, Sony can't have more problems atm, they are under fire.

Anyways, even if that weren't true, just for the sake of reason, Nintendo was selling the 3DS at profit, with the pricecut they ended up selling a loss leader. Don't you think, if it were for money, they would not have done it?

EDIT: Also, did you look at the trends? They cut the price in August, that's at week 8*4 28 of the japanese launch. In the global trend I posted (here reposting for demonstration), the 3DS' trend is still better than the Vita's. If Sony didn't have to pricecut, Nintendo certainly didn't. We know why Nintendo pricecut, and that's because they wanted to reach their 16M unit target, and that was for 2 reasons we know, from sources (I don't have on hand):

1) To increase 3rd party confidence in the platform (It defo paid off).

2) To support the 3DS' momentum so as to ensure market dominance.

Here's the graph (week 28, check it):

BasilZero said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
I'm a little confused here, to be honest, by the thread title and the OP. What are we talking about, exactly?

Outlasted in terms of when a official price cut was implemented comparing from one system to another.

This thread makes little sense.  Since when has sales to pricecut been a useful or reliable metric of a system's success?

All you have shown is that Sony is less willing or able to drop price than Nintendo, who in turn were unwilling to tolerate such low sales.

Consoles exist to sell games, if you can not even sell enough systems to make people want to make games for your system you are dead in the water.  As for price drops devaluing a product, you simply can not compare consoles to phone/tablets and Apple's model. This whole premise is based on the consumer agreeing with the manufacturer's assessment of a product's value.  Apple is oft-sited as a successful implementation of this philiosophy but for every time this works there are examples where it doesn't e.g. Sony TVs.  A relatively high-priced, 'premium' product with good technology: Sony refused to drop prices to match competitors in the face of declining sales. The result?

Important: post about Europe.

Again with this price drop thing?
Do you realize that a Vita can easily be found (new) for € 150 in shops in Europe? (Not online shops, real shops.)
I see plenty of great bundles. Like Vita + LBP for € 190. That's a Vita for € 150. € 100 less than launch.
And you want a price drop to 170? lol. That's actually more expansive than how much it is NOW.