By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - It's now official the Nintendo DS has become the best selling video game system of all time!

ethomaz said:

- VGC stopped to track PS2 sales
- PS2 is still in production
- Sony shipped 151.1 million at March, 2012
- Sony shipped more PS2 after March, 2012

Seem more here: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4958659

In that post, how you got from 151.1 to 156 is beyond me. You have 6m combined PS2 to PS3, yet somehow 4.9m of those are for PS2...

That's fucked up.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
ethomaz said:

- VGC stopped to track PS2 sales
- PS2 is still in production
- Sony shipped 151.1 million at March, 2012
- Sony shipped more PS2 after March, 2012

Seem more here: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4958659

In that post, how you got from 151.1 to 156 is beyond me. You have 6m combined PS2 to PS3, yet somehow 4.9m of those are for PS2...

That's fucked up.

lol no... that's a typo... lol

It's not  151.1... it's 155.1m.

Check here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473601

Its a bit sobering to see a faction of fans struggle to maintain their perceived natural order of things. This entire generation shattered their most cherished traditions and made the impossible scenarios a reality.

Never before was it thought that the PS2 was in danger of losing its lifetime sales crown, Sony Corp. falling from grace, or Gran Turismo having a worthy adversary, among other examples.

Seeing such efforts to preserve all that used to be so good and cherished....it almost makes me feel sorry for them. Change happens and people adapt, but there's always the transition period where acceptance becomes a long and painful process. You can tell from some certain users here that the glory days are still among them and acceptance will therefore take some time.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

ethomaz said:

lol no... that's a typo... lol

It's not  151.1... it's 155.1m.

Check here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473601

Ah, ok :)

Carl2291 said:
Ahhhh atma, never change.

The PS2 outshipped the DS between January-July this Year.

Its well known that the PS2 numbers here are vastly undertracked. Certain people dont want to see it, though. Just like last time the DS "passed" the PS2 going by VGChartz numbers.

Jan-March 2012 Shipments -

PS2: 0.6 Million NDS: 0.46 Million

Apr-July 2012 Shipments -

PS2: 1M to 1.1 Million. We know this, due to knowing what PS3 sold along with YoY % decrease in PS3 numbers. NDS: 0.54 Million

The PS2 outshipped the DS in the first half of 2012.

And Carl you're still the same as always, did I already said I don't want to start a sales vs. shipped figures debate here.

Just look at the SALES numbers the DS is still selling right now on the main page and if you're still thinking that PS2 is outselling DS, well, you're just in denial.

DS has took the crown and in 50% less time than what it takes for PS2 to reach present numbers, just accept it. There was even an article confirming it on the main page...

Around the Network
atma998 said:

And Carl you're still the same as always, did I already said I don't want to start a sales vs. shipped figures debate here.

Just look at the SALES numbers the DS is still selling right now on the main page and if you're still thinking that PS2 is outselling DS, well, you're just in denial.

DS has took the crown and in 50% less time than what it takes for PS2 to reach present numbers, just accept it. There was even an article confirming it on the main page...

Thats the whole point. We haven't had sales numbers for the PS2 updated on VGChartz for over a Year. Another point is that VGC numbers arent fact. Theyre estimations.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=120595

The same happened in 2010. VGC simply never update PS2 numbers. Right now? Yes. The DS will be outselling the PS2. During the first 6 Months of the Year, the PS2 outshipped the DS.

The numbers VGChartz has for PS2 are shipment numbers for last Year.

If youre saying that VGC numbers for PS2 are right, then where are the other 2 Million+ consoles that Sony shipped since?

its nice how you say official in your tittle then use vgchartz numbers

Carl2291 said:
atma998 said:

Thats the whole point. We haven't had sales numbers for the PS2 updated on VGChartz for over a Year. Another point is that VGC numbers arent fact. Theyre estimations.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=120595

The same happened in 2010. VGC simply never update PS2 numbers. Right now? Yes. The DS will be outselling the PS2. During the first 6 Months of the Year, the PS2 outshipped the DS.

The numbers VGChartz has for PS2 are shipment numbers for last Year.

If youre saying that VGC numbers for PS2 are right, then where are the other 2 Million+ consoles that Sony shipped since?

Still in delusion, I see.

Just to make you happy, let's say it did not outsell it yet, but it will certainly in the upcoming weeks/months. So why argue? Just because you don't want your favorite console lose its crown? Come on...

Again, DS reached this number in 50% less time than PS2. So it's already the best selling video game system of all time, like it or not.

sales2099 said:

Its a bit sobering to see a faction of fans struggle to maintain their perceived natural order of things. This entire generation shattered their most cherished traditions and made the impossible scenarios a reality.

Never before was it thought that the PS2 was in danger of losing its lifetime sales crown, Sony Corp. falling from grace, or Gran Turismo having a worthy adversary, among other examples.

Seeing such efforts to preserve all that used to be so good and cherished....it almost makes me feel sorry for them. Change happens and people adapt, but there's always the transition period where acceptance becomes a long and painful process. You can tell from some certain users here that the glory days are still among them and acceptance will therefore take some time.

Not entirely -- back in '05 and '06 Sony fans probably thought the PS3 would be heir to the throne.

atma998 said:

Still in delusion, I see.

Just to make you happy, let's say it did not outsell it yet, but it will certainly in the upcoming weeks/months. So why argue? Just because you don't want your favorite console lose its crown? Come on...

Again, DS reached this number in 50% less time than PS2. So it's already the best selling video game system of all time, like it or not.

Im not being delusional. Im giving you facts.

The PS2 numbers on VGChartz are from November 2011. For the DS to have outsold the PS2, the PS2 needs to have sold 0 units in the last 12 Months.

We know this to be false because the PS2 shipped 600k between Jan-March 2012 and 1-1.1 Million between April and July 2012.

The DS shipped 450k between Jan-March 2012 and 550k between April and July 2012.

The PS2 outshipped the DS between January and July by a minimum of 600,000 units.

Right now, in the Holiday Season, the DS will be stomping the PS2. No denying that. But the PS2 isnt sitting at what VGChartz says. Its at least 2 Million units higher than what VGChartz shows.

The DS very well may outsell the PS2 in a few Months (Which everyone has said for the last 2 Years here), but as of right now... The thread is wrong and the numbers used aren't "fact". Its estimations of DS numbers, which may well be over/undertracked and shipment numbers for PS2 dating back to November 2011.