By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - It's now official the Nintendo DS has become the best selling video game system of all time!

atma998 said:

Anyway, don't want to start a sales vs. shipping figures debate. But there is no way that the PS2 is selling higher in emerging countries than what DS does in NA, Europe and Japan combined.

I agree but the DS needs a little more time to outsell the PS2... the shipment gap is ~4 million... so I don't think it passed PS2 yet.

Around the Network

jonnybmk said:

Shipped =/= sales

And? You have 4 million shipment gap... how can that means DS outsold PS2... the PS360 gap is less than 2 million and PS3 not outsold 360 yet.

Teriol said:
F0X said:
atma998 said:

Why?

VGChartz has stopped tracking PS2 sales since last year, so it doesn't take into account the fact that PS2 is still selling (particularly in emerging markets).

my friend i'm from Colombia here ps2 doesn't sell anymore... a year ago i see one in an electronic store but it was  a second hand system, in contrast  much people have a DS it is a chrismast gift very often too.

Quite interesting.

Thanks for the information. Hope it will put all these emerging market arguments into perspective.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo will release a PR note when that happened .

jonnybmk said:
ethomaz said:

- VGC stopped to track PS2 sales
- PS2 is still in production
- Sony shipped 151.1 million at March, 2012
- Sony shipped more PS2 after March, 2012

Seem more here: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4958659

Shipped =/= sales

ur right, shipped is more important.

Around the Network

It is fair to say though that it will be soon the case. I'll wait 'til Nintendo release a PR note.

atma998 said:
F0X said:
atma998 said:

Why?

VGChartz has stopped tracking PS2 sales since last year, so it doesn't take into account the fact that PS2 is still selling (particularly in emerging markets).

Wrong.

The DS was already outselling PS2 in global sales here on VGChartz last year and a lot of people were complaining that the PS2 was undertracked.

VGChartz has updated PS2 numbers since then.

Anyway, don't want to start a sales vs. shipping figures debate. But there is no way that the PS2 is selling higher in emerging countries than what DS does in NA, Europe and Japan combined.

I want to agree, but I think the DS still has a little bit to go. Without confirmation from Sony (for all we know, PS2 is on its last shipment) or Nintendo about where figures actually stand, I think this is "VGChartz official" and little else.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

But there is no way that the PS2 is selling higher in emerging countries than what DS does in NA, Europe and Japan combined.

Well according to this weeks media create numbers the ps2 is outselling the nintendo ds in japan :)

PS2 904

Nintendo DS 424

We can only go by shipment numbers and at the moment they are currently

PS2 153.6 million

Nintendo DS 152.5 million

Believe me when/if the DS overtakes the PS2 nintendo will release a press release

All bow to me the VGChartz current reigning 3DS prediction champion 

Bet with tbone51: Pokeon X & pokemon Y will not sell more than 8 million in 2013

jarrod said:The Xbox360 or ps3 will not sell more than 75million units

July 2009 daveJ saidTrue the wii has a large lead now but by 2017 the most likely result will be 1. ps3 2. xbox360 3. wii <-- wii's successor launched in 2011 effectively killing sales of the wii

2009 daveJ said: The wii will not break the 50% marketshare barrier it will go below the 40% marketshare barrier though in the future. VGChartz members: Impossible, youre an idiot that knows nothing about sales

atma998 said:
Teriol said:
F0X said:
atma998 said:

Why?

my friend i'm from Colombia here ps2 doesn't sell anymore... a year ago i see one in an electronic store but it was  a second hand system, in contrast  much people have a DS it is a chrismast gift very often too.

Quite interesting.

Thanks for the information. Hope it will put all these emerging market arguments into perspective.

no pro man, i just want to put in perspective that an "amerging market" is not sinonimous of selling (crap) a lot of people import their systems from USA or another world location, when the system is oficially released (in the emerging market lol) 90% of the people have their own.

34 years playing games.

ethomaz said:

(..)... so I don't think it passed PS3 yet.

Lol, you're throwing the wrong PS's all over the place (here and in the other thread) .

I forgive you though.