By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - How to Destroy an Athiests in a argument! (Updated with poll)

Who won?

The Athiest 40 70.18%

The creationist 17 29.82%

Total:57
Alara317 said:
DaRev said:

Nothing, you can see happended by chance. The whole of creation fits together to perfectly to be by chance, for even if Big Bang was by chance, that would also have to mean that everything after were also by chance. And that is higly rediculous. So Big Bang made you have 2 legs instead of 9? Why do women always only have two breasts - is that by chance or by design? Why is water clear, and not pink - is that by chance as well?

Or, are you assuming that Big Bang happened by chance, but everything after that is not by chance or not randum?

The more you continue, the more I realise how flawed Sciece really is I mean seriously, Science tries to prove everything, the problem with that is it is IMPOSSIBLE to prove everything. At some point you must apply FAITH and plain old fashioned belief = that's part of what I mean by Science pointing to a Creator. Science proves that everything is by design and not radom.

hun, please go back to school.  There are so many problems with what you posted (and what you posted in reaction to Jay) that I honestly can't continue this 'debate' with you.  Pretty much your entire platform is that you 'believe' that you 'must' have 'faith' in order to understand the universe, while conveniently disregarding everything that anyone has said to the contrary. 

If you're content being ignorant, that's fine, just do the world a favor and keep that attitude far away from schools and government.  And please, do go back to school, join a debate club or something, you have a long way to go before your 'opinion' can be taken seriously.  

I really hate having to resort to ad hominem, but I might as well be arguing with a street-corner prophet.  You're so entrenched in your beliefs that you dismiss all evidence to the contrary and won't even accept that your assertion concerning the validity and purpose of scientific advancement is just plain wrong. you are not worth my time or the time of anyone else in this thread.  

The saddest part?  I know that you are going to find a way to turn this into a victory, or that I gave up, or that I'm wrong becuase my convictions weren't pure and strong.   the truth is that there comes a time when I would be making better use of my time doing virtually anything else, and it's time to move on. 

Ladies and gentlemen, this is why I don't argue with religious folks.  

Yet you argued with him before you stopped :P

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
KungKras said:
Alara317 said:

I know, I'm so goddamn ashamed, too.  I made it clear I don't like debating religion becuase people can't do what it takes to make religion a legitimate debate topic and are unable to even try to rationalize their standpoint, yet all that did was open myself up to people trying and failing to find fault in my arguments.  

Alara317 said:
KungKras said:
Alara317 said:

I know, I'm so goddamn ashamed, too.  I made it clear I don't like debating religion becuase people can't do what it takes to make religion a legitimate debate topic and are unable to even try to rationalize their standpoint, yet all that did was open myself up to people trying and failing to find fault in my arguments.  

Jesus mentions people like you in one of his teachings:

Jesus Teaches in Parables

13 That day Jesus went out of (A)the house and was sitting (B)by the sea. And [a]large crowds gathered to Him, so (C)He got into a boat and sat down, and the whole crowd was standing on the beach.

And He spoke many things to them in (D)parables, saying, “Behold, the sower went out to sow; and as he sowed, some seeds fell beside the road, and the birds came and ate them up. Others fell on the rocky places, where they did not have much soil; and immediately they sprang up, because they had no depth of soil. But when the sun had risen, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away. Others fell [b]among the thorns, and the thorns came up and choked them out. And others fell on the good soil and *yielded a crop, some a (E)hundredfold, some sixty, and some thirty. (F)He who has ears, [c]let him hear.”

An Explanation

10 And the disciples came and said to Him, “Why do You speak to them in parables?” 11 [d]Jesus answered them, (G)To you it has been granted to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been granted. 12 (H)For whoever has, to him more shall be given, and he will have an abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has shall be taken away from him. 13 Therefore I speak to them in parables; because while (I)seeing they do not see, and while hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. 14 [e]In their case the prophecy of Isaiah is being fulfilled, which says,

[f](J)You will keep on hearing, [g]but will not understand;
[h]You will keep on seeing, but will not perceive;
15 (K)For the heart of this people has become dull,
With their ears they scarcely hear,
And they have closed their eyes,
Otherwise they would see with their eyes,
Hear with their ears,
And understand with their heart and return,
And I would heal them.’

16 (L)But blessed are your eyes, because they see; and your ears, because they hear. 17 For truly I say to you that (M)many prophets and righteous men desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.

The Sower Explained

18 (N)Hear then the parable of the sower. 19 When anyone hears (O)the [i]word of the kingdom and does not understand it, (P)the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart. This is the one on whom seed was sown beside the road. 20 The one on whom seed was sown on the rocky places, this is the man who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy; 21 yet he has no firm root in himself, but is only temporary, and when affliction or persecution arises because of the [j]word, immediately he [k](Q)falls away. 22 And the one on whom seed was sown among the thorns, this is the man who hears the word, and the worry of (R)the [l]world and the (S)deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful. 23 And the one on whom seed was sown on the good soil, this is the man who hears the word and understands it; who indeed bears fruit and brings forth, some (T)a hundredfold, some sixty, and some thirty.”

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

DaRev said:

Nothing, you can see happended by chance. The whole of creation fits together to perfectly to be by chance, for even if Big Bang was by chance, that would also have to mean that everything after were also by chance. And that is higly rediculous. So Big Bang made you have 2 legs instead of 9? Why do women always only have two breasts - is that by chance or by design? Why is water clear, and not pink - is that by chance as well?

Or, are you assuming that Big Bang happened by chance, but everything after that is not by chance or not randum?

The more you continue, the more I realise how flawed Sciece really is I mean seriously, Science tries to prove everything, the problem with that is it is IMPOSSIBLE to prove everything. At some point you must apply FAITH and plain old fashioned belief = that's part of what I mean by Science pointing to a Creator. Science proves that everything is by design and not radom.

This is really a terrible argument.  Yes, everything you just said happened by chance and if water were pink, women had 5 tits, and you walked on 7 legs you'd be talking about how the world was perfect and how the big bang could have made water pink, wonderfully 5 breasted women, and the perfect number of legs.  In order for your argument to make any sense you would have to prove that the current existence is the best it possibly could be and was therefore "perfect" and I find that a hard pill to swallow when you really look at the world.  

DaRev said:
...stuff...

Can I put you on ignore? I've come to realize you have nothing of value to add to the conversation beyond "See how good my God it?  See?  the book says he's good so it must be true becuase the book says it's true!" 

Around the Network

Destroy an atheists argument by being ignorant, intolerant and dismissive to anyone who has a different opinion/view point to oneself. Religious people can be the most hypocritical: do as I say, not as I do.

Torillian said:
DaRev said:

This is really a terrible argument.  Yes, everything you just said happened by chance and if water were pink, women had 5 tits, and you walked on 7 legs you'd be talking about how the world was perfect and how the big bang could have made water pink, wonderfully 5 breasted women, and the perfect number of legs.  In order for your argument to make any sense you would have to prove that the current existence is the best it possibly could be and was therefore "perfect" and I find that a hard pill to swallow when you really look at the world.  

dude, don't worry, one of these days Big Bang will Bang again and give us three breasted women, and a "perfect" world. But since its all supposedly happended by chance we really can't be sure, so let's keep our finger crossed as we could end up with no breasted women, or even dicks for breasts  

Thank God I believe in intelligent design.

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

DaRev said:
Torillian said:
DaRev said:

dude, don't worry, one of these days Big Bang will Bang again and give us three breasted women, and a "perfect" world. But since its all supposedly happended by chance we really can't be sure, so let's keep our finger crossed as we could end up with no breasted women, or even dicks for breasts  

lol no...just no.

DaRev said:

Believe me, if women had randomly evolved dicks for breasts you would love nothing more than getting your face in between those stiff funsticks (play on the funbags phrase, I felt weird saying tits over and over again).  

I am agnostic. I do not believe in god, nor do I actively not believe in God. I believe that there is a possibility of a higher being existing, because being a higher being we may not necessarily comprehend it.

I do not, however, believe any contemporary religions with deities are anything more then myths. The books and stories of Christianity Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, and the thousands of other religions that exist in the world today, are nothing more then myths, perpetrated my men and women struggling to understand the world around them with the limited knowledge they had at their disposal. Contemporary science did not exist until a few hundred years ago. Please note I said "contemporary". As a result man has had to mostly rely on myths and legends to explain their world, as well as pass on lessons about life and values.

Religion, in addition to being a product of human ignorance, is a product of human arrogance. Religion is all about humans presuming to know what God is, or what Gods are. They sometimes presume that THEY are the chosen people of those Gods. As far as I'm concerned, it is not man's place to presume to know God, or claim a relationship with God, because whatever God is, is probably far beyond what we can comprehend.

Of course, that's just my position. But one need only look at humanity's past to see that religion is not a permanent, never changing part of man's world. Religions can be born, and they can die. Many of the most famous ancient religions with their elaborate legends and massive pantheons have long since died, replaced by contemporary, typically monotheistic religions. Religions are, at their heart, cultural, and can die just as easily as any other custom. That, to me, hardly makes any religion something that can compete with science as a legitimate worldview. Of course, to be fair,the belief in science is also cultural, but it is also something based on evidence and theories, not conjecture from several thousand year old scripture. Science is alive. Science not only can change, it WANTS to change and always doubts itself. It is the product of humility.

Might the big bang have been caused by some sort of deity? Perhaps. Was it caused by the christian God? As arrogant as this will sound to many Christians (and they'd be right) I'm going to say no, because of what I've said earlier.

In the end, as far as I'm concerned, its Christians that need to prove that their God exists. My proof that God doesn't exist is simple: there is no proof that he does. There's no proof that Bigfoot exists either, that doesn't mean its up to a scientist to prove that he doesn't. That's why it is the big foot believers, not the skeptics, who are out hunting for proof.

I don't expect I've changed any minds here, or even caused anyone to double think their beliefs. This was fun to write though. :P