By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The old adage that Xbox 360 Exclusives Sell So Much Better than Playstation 3 Exclusives is a Myth!

pezus said:
sales2099 said:
pezus said:
sales2099 said:
pezus said:
fighter said:

Exclusives not only sell more on the 360, but on all segments, increasingly so, and especially on the emerging ones :

Retail X360 vs retail PS3 : Xbox wins (and at a higher price point per exclusive sold )

XBLA vs PSN : Xbox crushingly wins (and this is where Sony truly lags)

Kinect vs Move : Xbox crushingly wins (to be more precise - won - as Move cannot even be considered a competitor)

And this is why gentlemen the common perception that Xbox exclusives sell more than their PS counterpart is... so true

Bold: Blatantly wrong. Do you know what games cost in Europe?

Underlined: You base this on what?

Underlined: Reality?

Cmon Pezus, we all know PS3 owns retail and 360 owns digital. Dont even bother.

And which reality is that? 

PS3 owns retail now? Nice of you to admit.

lol we all know PS3 has more retail offerings per year then 360. I can own up to that, but you still insist that XBLA gets more critically acclaimed games per year over PSN. Hell my 2012 360/PS3 thread shows this. Many of 360s list is comprised of XBLA games.

I honestly thought we were talking about exclusive sales here, which is why I asked where he got his info. Guess  I was wrong.

Ugh....thats right. Your the one guy who still believes in a strict exclusive, not the more progressive PS3 games not on 360 and vise versa. But im sure if I were to dig through metacritic this whole generation, XBLA really does trump PSN per year.

But thats ok, because PS3 releases more retail games per year then 360. Lets just agree on that shall we?

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

JayWood2010 said:

You're right on most of what you said but why do you think GT5 is undertracked?  If I'm correct polyphony and sony announced shipped numbers not sold.  Vgchartz tracks sold not shipped.

Well... just a guess but all Halo series have 500k on the shelves while GT5 alone have 2.2 million units on shelves.

You get my point .

sales2099 said:
ethomaz said:
sales2099 said:
"However, its also true that "Gran Turismo" is one of the bestselling game series of all time and "Forza" may have its fanboys, but no "Forza" racer has come anywhere near equalling the sales of the latest "Gran Turismo" game for PS3."

One on one comparisons dont show the full picture. "IP" sales per gen REALLY shows whats what.

GT5 - 8.32
GT5:P - 4.11

Forza2 - 3.99
Forza3 - 5.22
Forza4 - 3.08
Forza Horizon - 0.74

13.03 > 12.43. And Forza 4 bundles will continue to outpace GT5 for another 4 weeks. Horizon still selling decent on its own. Gap will be even wider by January.

This is MS's THIRD best IP compared to Sonys #1. Think about that. Myth busted again.

Facepalm pic

No ethomaz. Nothing wrong with using IP sales. If one IP has a slow dev cycle then that is their problem. Forza as a franchise has outsold GT this gen. Again, take it up with PD if you think its unfair.

Kind of true ethomaz,  if GT 6 was released aswell it would have cut of some of GT5 sales...

Lostplanet22 said:

Kind of true ethomaz,  if GT 6 was released aswell it would have cut of some of GT5 sales...

If GT6 was released this year then GT5 + GT6 = ~15 million.

I don't get your point.

ethomaz said:

JayWood2010 said:

You're right on most of what you said but why do you think GT5 is undertracked?  If I'm correct polyphony and sony announced shipped numbers not sold.  Vgchartz tracks sold not shipped.

Well... just a guess but all Halo series have 500k on the shelves while GT5 alone have 2.2 million units on shelves.

You get my point .

How do we know halo has 500k?  I'm not even sure how much was announced to be shipped for GT5.  But I do want to point out that GT5 has a lot of bundles as well as many different versions of GT5 so it may have a lot of stock laying around.  2.2 mil does sound like a lot though.  

Anyways I just wanted to clear that up because I was not completely sure on the topic.  

As far as Sales2099, what he is saying isnt wrong.  From a business's perspective Forza has been more successful this gen.  I dont like the logic he is using because it seems unfair but he isnt wrong either.  If GT6 was released it would cut into GT5's profits if that makes sense.

Anyways this thread has gotten way off track now.  I think most people were just trying to point the OP into the right direction.  Nobody should mention Forza and GT next to each other because that will be a storm of arguments haha

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

JayWood2010 said:

You get my point .

Thats BS and you know it.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Yes, but is only for US. If you consider the rest of the world then PS3 outsells xbox360.

JayWood2010 said:

How do we know halo has 500k?  I'm not even sure how much was announced to be shipped for GT5.  But I do want to point out that GT5 has a lot of bundles as well as many different versions of GT5 so it may have a lot of stock laying around.  2.2 mil does sound like a lot though.  

Anyways I just wanted to clear that up because I was not completely sure on the topic.  

As far as Sales2099, what he is saying isnt wrong.  From a business's perspective Forza has been more successful this gen.  I dont like the logic he is using because it seems unfair but he isnt wrong either.  

Anyways this thread has gotten way off track now.  I think most people were just trying to point the OP into the right direction.  Nobody should mention Forza and GT next to each other because that will be a storm of arguments haha

From a business's perspective GT5 give a lot more revenue and profit for Sony than all Forza's combined this gen to Microsoft.

- GT5 (GT5:P included) have a dev cost of $60 million... sold near 15 million units.
- Forza serires have dev cost of 4 games... sold near 15 million units.

You can say the dev cost of four Forza games is below $60 million and I will call bullshit... more the most Forza sales came from Forza 3 with absolute heavly bundles... so no revenue in these cases... Sony refuses to heavy bundle GT5.

About the GT5 sales...

GT5 shipped (PD): 9,180k
GT5 sales (VGC): 7,906k

~1.2 million on shelves

About Halo I will not enter in this question because my point is about Gran Turismo but the MS said Halo reach 50 million sales in the first week of December... VGC show over 50 million sold.

Edit - Fixed for accuracy... not 2.2 million on shelves.

sales2099 said:

Thats BS and you know it.

Try hard.

* all numbers from end of September *

ethomaz said:

JayWood2010 said:

As far as Sales2099, what he is saying isnt wrong.  From a business's perspective Forza has been more successful this gen.  I dont like the logic he is using because it seems unfair but he isnt wrong either.  

From a business's perspective GT5 give a lot more revenue and profit for Sony than all Forza's combined this gen to Microsoft.

- GT5 (GT5:P included) have a dev cost of $60 million... sold near 15 million units.
- Forza serires have dev cost of 4 games... sold near 15 million units.

You can say the dev cost of four Forza games is below $60 million and I will call bullshit... more the most Forza sales came from Forza 3 with absolute heavly bundles... so no revenue in these cases... Sony refuses to heavy bundle GT5.

About the GT5 sales...

~2.2 million on shelves

About Halo I will not enter in this question because my point is about Gran Turismo but the MS said Halo reach 50 million sales in the first week of December... VGC show over 50 million sold.

So now were talking about return on investment? If you wanna talk revenue you can say Forza this entire gen has helped sell 360s during the holidays. Why not include revenue of actual 360 consoles sold with Forza 2, Forza 3, and Forza 4? Whether it had a direct impact on 360 sales is irrelevant. It was part of 360 holiday bundles so naturally we should include 360 prices as revenue. Dont take this route.

So based on the numbers there was 1.2 million GT5 copies on shelves. That sounds about right.....with maybe only 500k undertracked tops. Because its typical for a popular game to have a million on store shelves at any given time.

Another myth busted.