By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The old adage that Xbox 360 Exclusives Sell So Much Better than Playstation 3 Exclusives is a Myth!

Jay520 said:
sales2099 said:
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/04/resident-evil-6-ships-over-4-5-million-copies-worldwide/

Dated October 4, 2012.

Resident Evil 6 PS3 - 2,141,774
Resident Evil 6 360 - 1,365,775

Total (as of Dec 1) - 3 507 549

Difference of 992 451. And this is sales of December vs shipped in October.

Check and mate Ethomaz and Jay520. Big name flagship games are the exception to the rule. GT5 numbers are mostly spot on.

As I said earlier. Publishers usually ship a LOT of games at release.

Remember when Uncharted 3 shipped 3.8 million units day 1. Does that mean Uncharted 3 got close to 3.8 million units its first day, or week? Hell no. Uncharted 3 didn't sell 3.8 million until March of this year, four months after release.

The earlier the release, the bigger the discrepancy. After a few months after release, shipped numbers are much more close to sales. And after two years, the discrepancy should be incredibily tiny. See Halo sales-shipped numbers before Halo 4.

http://www.gtplanet.net/gt5-academy-edition-included-in-new-super-slim-ps3-hardware-bundle-for-europe/

There are GT5 bundles this holiday in Europe I believe. They plus regular old copies could have entered the shipping line to inflate their September announcement.

Point is, we dont know. Crying murder because its apparantly undertracked is frankly a sore losers excuse. For better or for worse, just go by Vgchartz numbers. Its unfair to games on both sides, but just take em as they are and deal with it. Im done with this topic....today.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

sales2099 said:

http://www.gtplanet.net/gt5-academy-edition-included-in-new-super-slim-ps3-hardware-bundle-for-europe/

There are GT5 bundles this holiday in Europe I believe. They plus regular old copies could have entered the shipping line to inflate their September announcement.

Point is, we dont know. Crying murder because its apparantly undertracked is frankly a sore losers excuse. For better or for worse, just go by Vgchartz numbers. Its unfair to games on both sides, but just take em as they are and deal with it. Im done with this topic....today.

This bundle is limited and sold out a some months in UK... France stille have it for shipping in 2 to 3 weeks... Germany is sold out too.

The GT5 was SOLD OUT at online show I checked in US at Black Friday ($10 of course).

ethomaz said:

sales2099 said:

This bundle is limited and sold out a some months in UK.

The GT5 was SOLD OUT at online show I checked in US at Black Friday ($10 of course).

Crying murder because its apparantly undertracked is frankly a sore losers excuse. For better or for worse, just go by Vgchartz numbers. Its unfair to games on both sides, but just take em as they are and deal with it. Im done with this topic....today.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Adinnieken said:
I'm more confused as to how it's an old adage. While in general it is a truth, it isn't as if it is something said for a long time.

The generalization is that an Xbox 360 exclusive, in the same year, sells better than PS3 exclusives in the same year. There isn't a single year, that I'm aware of, where a PS3 exclusive sold better than an Xbox 360 exclusive.

No one, that I'm aware of, would go so far as to say that the PS3 doesn't sell games. That's a bit extreme. That being said, Xbox 360 games, even if you eliminate the units sold on PC or PS3 where exclusives become or are multi-platform, sell better on the Xbox 360.

This generalization as applied to third-party multi-platform titles applies just as well. The majority of third-party multi-platform titles sell better on the Xbox 360 than they do on the PS3. The exception to this is FIFA, Batman, and there's one more series, but I can't remember it.

If you own a PS3, what does it matter? If you like a game, why does it matter if it sold more or less than the same game on a different platform? It doesn't. Sure, it's a notch in Microsoft's belt that in general they sell more games per console than their competitors, and it's fodder for developers to consider, but I don't get why it's such a big deal to gamers.

The PS3 is going to, at times, sell exclusive games better than the Xbox 360 will. Likewise it'll sell third-party games better than the Xbox 360 will. If people haven't figured out by now that the Xbox 360 and the PS3 are essentially equals, than you need help. If you're more interested in waging console wars when the two can go tit-for-tat with each other, than you seriously need help.

Actually, I believe it has been said for a long time (at least since 2007), as it's been a truth for a long time.

Since Microsoft is big in the U.S. and the UK, they have huge front-end sales figures due to these two markets having big holiday seasons. People will see the 360 exlusive or multiplat version of a game and assume it has outsold the PS3 version. They'll then forget that the games are still being sold after they've lost interest/the next new game has come out. We'll then get a thread like this, where some PS3 fan (with maybe too much time on their hands) will search sales figures for old games, pick the ones that eventually caught up to or surpassed their 360 counterpart, and try to disprove the general consensus. There has been a thread similar to this one every year since I came on this site in 2009.

In terms of game series that sell more on the PS3, it's quite a bit more than the two you mentioned. The number is still in 360's favor though, especially in the total number of individual multiplat games. Below are a few that I could think of.

Series that sell more on the PS3:

Street Fighter series, Final Fantasy series, Mortal Kombat series, BlazBlue series, Marvel Vs. Capcom series, Tekken series, Resident Evil series, Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm series, Devil May Cry Series.

Individual games that have sold more on the PS3:

Sleeping Dogs, Hitman: Absolution, Assassin's Creed 2, Assassin's Creed 3, Bayonetta (Really???), Soul Calibur V, , Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare (Really???), L.A. Noire, Lost Planet 2, Dark Souls.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

adriane23 said:

Actually, I believe it has been said for a long time (at least since 2007), as it's been a truth for a long time.

Since Microsoft is big in the U.S. and the UK, they have huge front-end sales figures due to these two markets having big holiday seasons. People will see the 360 exlusive or multiplat version of a game and assume it has outsold the PS3 version. They'll then forget that the games are still being sold after they've lost interest/the next new game has come out. We'll then get a thread like this, where some PS3 fan (with maybe too much time on their hands) will search sales figures for old games, pick the ones that eventually caught up to or surpassed their 360 counterpart, and try to disprove the general consensus. There has been a thread similar to this one every year since I came on this site in 2009.

In terms of game series that sell more on the PS3, it's quite a bit more than the two you mentioned. The number is still in 360's favor though, especially in the total number of individual multiplat games. Below are a few that I could think of.

Series that sell more on the PS3:

Street Fighter series, Final Fantasy series, Mortal Kombat series, BlazBlue series, Marvel Vs. Capcom series, Tekken series, Resident Evil series, Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm series, Devil May Cry Series.

Individual games that have sold more on the PS3:

Sleeping Dogs, Hitman: Absolution, Assassin's Creed 2, Assassin's Creed 3, Bayonetta (Really???), Soul Calibur V, , Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare (Really???), L.A. Noire, Lost Planet 2, Dark Souls.

Fair enough.