By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Launch Sales for Japan (Console/Handheld Comparisons Inside!)

Pretty weak showing really...WiiU maybe up for some hard times.

Around the Network
metalmonstar said:
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201212/11025760.html. Here is article from famitsu. The numbers are a little better than what gamekult quoted.

Wii U - 308,570

NSMBU - 170,563

MH3G HD Ver. 110,149

Nintendo Land - 78,461

With these three titles alone, Wii U has a software ratio of 1.2.The rest of the software should push the tie ratio up a bit more and probably push it past the Dreamcast for the best tie ratio of any hardware going back to the PS1/Sat/N64 generation. Seriously, these are historically very strong software sales for a Japanese launch (third best opening for a home console launch after 1999). This is also not even including digital.

Read my original story on Fictionpress (Shinigami Twin): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2996503/1/Shinigami-Twin 

As well as my other one (Hell's Punishment): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3085054/1/Hell-s-Punishment

Nintendo Network ID: kingofe3

think-man said:

308,507 for 2 days for a country of 130 million people where mobile gaming is dominant is bad versus 411,850 for a full week in a console dominant country with 312 million people during the busiest shopping week of the year is good?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
think-man said:

308,507 for 2 days for a country of 130 million people where mobile gaming is dominant is bad versus 411,850 for a full week in a console dominant country with 312 million people during the busiest shopping week of the year is good?

I didn't say US sales were good, I think they are both weak tbh, Considering the how well the wii did and older consoles still managed to outshine it.

think-man said:
Viper1 said:
think-man said:

I didn't say US sales were good, I think they are both weak tbh, Considering the how well the wii did and older consoles still managed to outshine it.

The older consoles were going to outshine it as happens with every new console during a Black Friday week launch.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

Famitsu`s numbers are even better. Not a lot, but better.`Maybe the rest of the software will also be higher?!

Let`s see how Wii U owners approached game downloading...

think-man said:
Viper1 said:
think-man said:

How much were you expecting it to sell? We all know that Japan loves its handhelds and we also know PS2 was a monster. 300k cannot be weak.

Pretty good sales from Famitsu, looking forward to the official numbers shortly (tomorrow!)

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Viper1 said:
retroking1981 said:

Pretty sure I remember the N64 opening huge (300,000+) in Japan and just fading rapidly after that.

Soundwave said:

EDIT: My memory is a bit hazy but I remember the N64 having a huge launch in Japan, like close to 500k sold, but the system dropped like a rock after that with no games but Super Mario 64/Pilotwings/and a Mah Jong game for a long time. 

They shipped 300k for the launch but added a further 200k for the reminder of the June launch month.

You are probably correct. Don't know how accurate they are, but VGC numbers go back far enough. N64 opening according to VGC;

300,469 with 371,116 units of software for a 1.2 tie-ratio.

So to put that number together with the others, and just for the fun also including the Saturn. I can't find PS1 numbers though:

Saturn: 102,015
PlayStation: ?
Nintendo 64: 300,469
GameBoy Color: 155,774
NeoGeo Portable: 21,471
DreamCast: 101,490
WonderSwan: 102,655
PlayStation 2: 630,552
GameBoy Advance: 611,504
WonderSwan Color: 145,975
GameCube: 133,719
Xbox: 123,929
DS: 441,485
PSP: 166,074
Xbox 360: 62,135
PlayStation 3: 88,443
Wii: 371,936
3DS: 371,326
PlayStation Vita: 321,407
Wii U: 307,471

Anyways, the WiiU performs decently. It's the second best Nintendo home console launch and the third overall. It looks like nearly every home console lost to handhelds, so I don't see a problem. Especially when PS3 numbers were worse than WonderSwan.

think-man said:
Viper1 said:
think-man said:

Man you must have been really disappointed with both PS3 and xbox360 then...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.