By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Launch Sales for Japan (Console/Handheld Comparisons Inside!)

TheLastStarFighter said:
It's exciting to see these numbers coming in. Another good launch, I'm a little surprised NSMBU attach rate isn't over 60%, but 50% is good of course. Monster Hunter takes the role of NintendoLand elsewhere, as the bundled game.

Right, like with the Wii and Wii Sports the pack in game is different in Japan and in South Korea. In the case of the Wii there was no pack in game in Japan lol. Still, I would have though the sales of monster hunter would be a little higher.

Around the Network

Vita beat the Wii U! Unbelievable. Great job Vita!

My partner thinks the wii u is easier to use than the wii, interesting!

Here are other software tie-ratio launches in Japan

Tie Ratios at launch / 3rd-party Tie Ratios at launch (Famitsu numbers)

WiiU - 1.2 / 0.4 (missing sales from bottom 5 games)

DS - 0.9 / 0.1
PSP - 1.0 / 0.6
PS3 - 1.0 / 0.7
Wii - 1.7 / 0.2
Wii w/o Wii Play - 1.2 / 0.2
3DS - 0.9 / 0.7
Vita - 0.9 / 0.6

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45292095&postcount=574

Read my original story on Fictionpress (Shinigami Twin): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2996503/1/Shinigami-Twin 

As well as my other one (Hell's Punishment): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3085054/1/Hell-s-Punishment

Nintendo Network ID: kingofe3

Pokemonbrawlvg said:
Here are other software tie-ratio launches in Japan

Tie Ratios at launch / 3rd-party Tie Ratios at launch (Famitsu numbers)

WiiU - 1.2 / 0.4 (missing sales from bottom 5 games)

DS - 0.9 / 0.1
PSP - 1.0 / 0.6
PS3 - 1.0 / 0.7
Wii - 1.7 / 0.2
Wii w/o Wii Play - 1.2 / 0.2
3DS - 0.9 / 0.7
Vita - 0.9 / 0.6

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45292095&postcount=574

Hmmm...  So WiiU's tie ratio is 1/2/0.4.  That would put the latter 3rd party tie ratios above the 0.2 for Wii, although not as much as the others.  Still, I expect things to change in a better way as the year goes on.

Around the Network

So worldwide, it seems like that of the software, Nintendo sold 1.3 million games, while third parties got roughly about 0.97 million. Not a bad number by any means, but it DEFINITELY could be bigger. Still, I do wonder how Wii's launch games fared worldwide in comparison?

Soundwave said:
VGKing said:
These numbers don't really mean anything....just look at the Vita launch, its was pretty good but look how its doing now.

Anyway Japan shows the same trends as USA and EU....3rd party isn't selling.

I dunno I'd say that Monster Hunter attach rate is pretty good, given that it's basically just an up-resed 3DS game slapped together for launch. Basically just free money for Capcom. 

Things like Tekken are just dying franchises unfortunately, they bombed on the PS3 in Japan, and the Wii U wasn't going to save them with a newborn sized userbase. 

Well it is bundled so I didn't really count that. Monster Hunter is the exception though.

ninetailschris said:
VGKing said:
These numbers don't really mean anything....just look at the Vita launch, its was pretty good but look how its doing now.

Monster hunter sold 100,000 what are you talking about?

Monster Hunter is the only 3rd party franchise that can sell on any system. Look at every other 3rd party Wii U launch game...they all sold horribly despite being massive franchises...

dahuman said:
VGKing said:

Do you honestly think the Wii U is going to sell only Vita numbers? Let's be honest here ^_^;

Did I say that? No.

Re-read the bolded part.

Launch titles don't typically sell well, but I expect those that didn't will at least have legs and show that gamers ARE taking notice.