By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
irstupid said:
Munkeh111 said:
DanneSandin said:
Munkeh111 said:
It doesn't look that much better than the top end PC games

haha but isn't that the definition of next gen consoles?? xD

Well I would hope for some advancements, after all, most PC games are made on console engines and then adjusted. I suppose the Witcher and Crysis games were designed for PC and so look great, but they are getting a bit old now.

What did high end PC games look like when the HD twins came out?

I feel like maybe Doom 3 feels around that time.  I see looking at it now it was a 2004 game.  But personally watching a video right now it don't look that much worse than current games, imo.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj7OY73k3Io

Doom 3 was a way better horror game than any I played this gen.  Man I could only play at small spurts.  I swear they made every freaking enemy be hidding in some shadows waiting to scare the shit out of you.   The longer you go without seeing an enemy the shorter your gaming time lasts, lol.  Suspence just builds. 

Zombi U players have it easy.  They can have the flashlight on basically at all times.  Ah and Doom 3, the good ol days before reloading armor.  Much harder.  Hate how you can just hide behind a rock till full health these days.

Meh, the HD twins did better, especially with Doom 3 being also on the original Xbox..

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
sales2099 said:
If Fable 4 looks like that ill be super ready to buy next gen.

Same here, wished Zelda could have this kind of look.

I sincerely disagree. Zelda's charm was always about not looking realistic (AlTTP, OoT, MM, WW, etc.). I would never want a Zelda game having those visuals in the OP.

That video was really cool, though! I loved the look of the trees. It really didn't look that much better than what we currently have (on high-end PCs), but it looked pretty nonetheless.

wfz said:

I sincerely disagree. Zelda's charm was always about not looking realistic (AlTTP, OoT, MM, WW, etc.). I would never want a Zelda game having those visuals in the OP.

That video was really cool, though! I loved the look of the trees. It really didn't look that much better than what we currently have (on high-end PCs), but it looked pretty nonetheless.

OoT was one of the most realistic-looking game of its time, despite the fantasy aspect of it, it looked real at the time.

Wow. That looks really nice. And to think that this is presumably what we'll be seeing early on... crazy!

Imagine what 343 and Naughty Dog will achieve with that kind of power.

Lostplanet22 said:
irstupid said:
Munkeh111 said:
DanneSandin said:
Munkeh111 said:
It doesn't look that much better than the top end PC games

haha but isn't that the definition of next gen consoles?? xD

Well I would hope for some advancements, after all, most PC games are made on console engines and then adjusted. I suppose the Witcher and Crysis games were designed for PC and so look great, but they are getting a bit old now.

What did high end PC games look like when the HD twins came out?

I feel like maybe Doom 3 feels around that time.  I see looking at it now it was a 2004 game.  But personally watching a video right now it don't look that much worse than current games, imo.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj7OY73k3Io

Doom 3 was a way better horror game than any I played this gen.  Man I could only play at small spurts.  I swear they made every freaking enemy be hidding in some shadows waiting to scare the shit out of you.   The longer you go without seeing an enemy the shorter your gaming time lasts, lol.  Suspence just builds. 

Zombi U players have it easy.  They can have the flashlight on basically at all times.  Ah and Doom 3, the good ol days before reloading armor.  Much harder.  Hate how you can just hide behind a rock till full health these days.

Meh, the HD twins did better, especially with Doom 3 being also on the original Xbox..

Doom 3 on the Xbox was a complete joke.

I remember when I was playing Doom 3 on PC when it first came out.  I was at best mid setting computer wise when I was playing.  A month later or so I was at a frat house and saw someone playing the xbox version of the game and it was a joke how pathetic that looked on that system.    And I didn't say the HD twins don't have better looking games.  I'm saying they aren't much better.  

Been saying for years now that this PS4 and 720 you guys all are expecting is not going to blow the graphics out of the water.  

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
wfz said:

OoT was one of the most realistic-looking game of its time, despite the fantasy aspect of it, it looked real at the time.

Then it was a virtue that the console limitations held the title back. That being said, character animations were anything but realistic (those carpenters running around with their arms flailing come to mind), and the overall art style of the game was definitely NOT trying to mimic the real world. Look at games like Silent hill or goldeneye, then look at OoT. Link doesn't look realistic at all (his colors and his dimensions).

So again I disagree. I don't want to see Zelda games trying to be Skyrim. I would rather leave that to other franchises (like... the Elder Scrolls franchise).

wfz said:
happydolphin said:
wfz said:

Then it was a virtue that the console limitations held the title back. That being said, character animations were anything but realistic (those carpenters running around with their arms flailing come to mind), and the overall art style of the game was definitely NOT trying to mimic the real world. Look at games like Silent hill or goldeneye, then look at OoT. Link doesn't look realistic at all (his colors and his dimensions).

So again I disagree. I don't want to see Zelda games trying to be Skyrim. I would rather leave that to other franchises (like... the Elder Scrolls franchise).

Speaking of Elder Scrolls.  With all the mods I have installed on Skyrim it looks close enough to this tech demo.  Not to mention Skyrim has way more clutter, plus people, but having to load in background and an insane view distance.

This tech demo is pretty weak.  I mean its basically a camera floating around one small area that is already completed loaded and there is barely anything on it.  A couple trees, some grass, a few house, ect.  Be more impressive if there was a densly foliated forest and some waterfalls and some animals, bugs, ect moving around.  Let along a person actual walking around.

I was more impressed with the Wii U tech demo with that bird.

happydolphin said:
It honestly looks real.

Hah. If you think that looks realy:

1)Watch Ungine Benchmark on max settings
2)Play metro on max settings. Then enjoy your nightmares.

I can't tell if it's using tesselation or not. No DX 11 = not next gen. If it is DX11 though...then it could be considered next-gen I suppose.

kitler53 said:

imagine the possibilities:  hottie mud wrestling.  best new IP idea ever!

Sign me up for oil wrestling (not Turkish).

Yes you can expect something near this. PC will still be more powerful but developers don't take advantage of PC's power due to how many different PC's their is. Most people are most likely on the lower end. When the new consoles come out then developers will be able to take full advantage of my guess of a low to mid range pc now which will be on par with pc games for a while at least. That term consoles are holding PC back is true.