By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What would make Xbox LIVE's $60 fee an unquestionable value?

Around the Network

I dont know what service they are providing, so I beg to question. Everything they charge me for the competition believes should be free.

Jay520 said:
JayWood2010 said:

You know what, don't worry about it.  You are missing my point entirely and you continue to always want to start and argument. Later

I get what you're saying exactly. You said the PS3 doesn't have as many active online games as Xbox lIve. I asked you to define active because I thought RDR was pretty active. Then you pointed me to Call of Duty, Halo, and BF and said they were more active. Then I told you it doesn't matter, as gamer, if one game is very active and another is extremely active. As long as a game is active enough to easily find new opponents, then it's active enough. Any more activity is irrelevant to gaming experience. And now you give me this cop out by saying I missed your point.

well im obviously not jaywood. but i have to disagree with him about player count as someone who owns both systems and plays both extensively (roughly 50/50). it seems to me that player count for online games are pretty much identical.  when i played Uncharted 2 online just before uncharted 3 came out. the player count  was consistantly over 40k players. unfortunately Uncharted 3 doesnt have a player count, but judging from its much greater sales than uncharted 2 over the same period of time, and its much greater focus on multiplayer, i would guess its at least double. and Uncharted 3 has become one of my favorite if not, my favorite multiplayer game there is. i play uncharted a lot, and it apears the player count is huge (but with no official numbers its impossible to know.

as for other exclusive games, the only other one i have put significant time into was Killzone 3, but i havent played for at least 6 months. but at the time the player pool felt fine, not as big as uncharted but good enough where i was dominated by expert players. and when my friend let me borrow his Move to play it, i was great. much better than most players. it quickly became one of my favorite multiplaer games. it has an amazing class system, and every thing is balanced, special abilities and weapons are great. Killzone along with all the halo games, uncharted games, and gears of war games are my favorite mulitplayer games ever. if i had to rank them. it would go Uncharted 3, halo reach, killzone 3, halo 4, uncharted 2, gears of war 3. but they are pretty interchangable.

also other games on PS3 seem to have equivalent player counts to xbox. call of duty black ops 2,  seems to be around 400,000 for both. i dont think battlefield has a player count listed (cant remember havent played in a while, becuase i dont like its multiplayer) but it seemed just as player filled and competative on both systems.

as for his claim about psn not having active multiplayer games outside of call of duty and battlefield. i dont feel thats acurrate. but it seems xbox live isnt much different in online communities than psn.  both are dominated by call of duty and battlefield, while obviously xbox has halo, which is huge (but i do wonder what what have a bigger online player count in a couple months halo 4 or battlefield). But even xbox second most popular exclusive isnt played that much (relatively). Gears of War seems to have a pretty small player count now days. i would say uncharted 3 has a bigger one.

this is a list on most played games on xbox, its not online player count but its the best evidence i have got. 

Top Xbox Live Titles

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  2. Halo 4
  3. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition
  4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
  5. EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13
  6. Call of Duty: Black Ops
  7. Assassin’s Creed III
  8. NBA 2K13
  9. Modern Warfare 2
  10. Madden NFL 13
  11. Battlefield 3
  12. Borderlands 2
  13. Skyrim
  14. GTA IV
  15. Halo: Reach
  16. Gears of War 3
  17. FIFA 12
  18. Forza Motorsport 4
  19. Hitman: Absolution
  20. Forza Horizon
so my point is both psn and xbl seem to be played about the same. xbox has halo as an exclusive which is obviously played more than any ps3 exclusive, but based off anecdotal evidence i would say ps3 biggest online exclusive (uncharted 3) has more online players than xbox's second biggest exclusive series (gears 3).
both services are about the same to me, both connect to online games about the same, both play online games the same, i cant tell any difference between played call of duty online on xbox or ps3. they play the same. both sometimes lag, both sometime perform flawlessly. xbox live on xbox has cross game chat, ps3 doe not (albeit the vita does, and for free, so inevitably ps4 will have cross game chat)
as for the topic at hand, if they gaze you free movies a months from zune, and perhaps some free smaller games to rent would be great.
edit: heres an interesting read from eurogamer. about lag on psn and xbl. something of note is they say Uncharted 3 (psn) has some of the lowest latency out of any game. this surely doesnt lend its slef well to the unsupported claim that psn has more lag than xbl.

Okay, I'll bite.

I paid for a single year's Gold subscription and didn't resubscribe when it ran out. I felt I wasn't getting value for money. At all. In the slightest.

I game a lot across many platforms, and paying for the privilege to access online services feels crazy to me. Unfortunately, because I didn't resubscribe, my 360 is now less useful, and it has kinda been relegated to a kids' machine with Kinect (my daughters use it for Dance Central, mostly); I use it rarely because to get full access to its capabilities I have to pay a subscription, and I see no reason to do this when I can play fully on PS3 or PC or Vita or whatever else for free, and get significantly better discounts than Microsoft ever offer (Steam, I'm looking at you). So, all multiplats are better for me on PS3 or PC.

So, what could Microsoft do to make me consider resubscribing?

Not sure.

Playstation have already done the free-games thing, so if MS duplicated that, it wouldn't really inspire me to take up another subscription when PS+ already offers so much across two gaming platforms (and it does offer a shed-load of games and extra services for the cost of a single retail title per year -- that's good value to my eyes). MS would have to offer me a unique service that other platforms currently don't have available (much like PS+ did when it started to offer free games). As it stands, Microsoft offers me nothing I can't get from other platforms for free, and that, for me, is unacceptable. I cannot justify paying for Live.

So, to answer the OP: I don't know what Microsoft can do, exactly, but I do know it has to be something new. What that would be, I don't know, but I do know it wouldn't be something like Twitter access, or Facebook access, or Netflix access, or LoveFilm access, or whatever, as all of that already comes free elsewhere (on my PC or my phone, for example). It needs to be a new, unique service to attract me now.

I understand that others, especially single platform owners, are happy with what Microsoft offers. However, I am not. As it stands, they need to offer me much more to attract me back into the fold.

I've been playing Black ops 2 on the wiiu and i have to say its the most stable cod game I've ever played, I have yet to be kicked from a game. Xbox live is good but needs to be free end of story, I cancelled my live account 2 weeks ago and I ain't going back untill its free.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
No matter how much I prefer the PC and PS3, I just can't give up Xbox LIVE. It's the most robust service of all three of them (Steam, PSN, LIVE), because most things are easy to navigate to (save for pics/vids, which are leaps and bounds easier to operate on the XMB).

So there's definitely unquestionable value on LIVE for me, and because of such, I continue to use it.

Are all of your gaming friends on Xbox Live?

CGI-Quality said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
CGI-Quality said:
No matter how much I prefer the PC and PS3, I just can't give up Xbox LIVE. It's the most robust service of all three of them (Steam, PSN, LIVE), because most things are easy to navigate to (save for pics/vids, which are leaps and bounds easier to operate on the XMB).

So there's definitely unquestionable value on LIVE for me, and because of such, I continue to use it.

Are all of your gaming friends on Xbox Live?

No, but many of them are. 

Strike 1

What games do you mainly play on Xbox Live?

I am sure we've paid for live for the same reasons which is beyond our control if we like their games.

That would be cool if they gave you access to Netflix or hulu plus with your gold subscription.

NobleTeam360 said:
That would be cool if they gave you access to Netflix or hulu plus with your gold subscription.

Thats what they are doing. You have no access to that without it and your Youtube either.

o_O.Q said:
Mr Puggsly said:
maverick40 said:
kowenicki said:
It already is.

The fact that someone decides to give away something almost similar for free is irrelevant.

Don't value it? Then don't pay for it. Simple.

It is unquestionable because if you want to go online you have no choice but to pay the fee. This fact alone means most people need to justify paying for a service that is needed to get 100% out of the product. 

Microsoft are on to a winner here. 

Don't forget online games exclusive to PS3 and Wii are bad. This makes the superior online games found on 360 more desireable. Millions of people rather pay to play the games they enjoy rather than settle with something free.

i play uncharted 3 regularly online and never have issues finding matches...

even starhawk even though it sold poorly has a very dedicated community which i play with from time to time 

I didn't say servers on PS3 are empty, I said the PS3 exclusives have bad online play. This causes a lot of people look elsewhere for superior online games.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)