By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Black Ops 2 Bomba On Wii U

How much did zombiu sell? I think that's more important since it's an exclusive and from the sound of it a pretty good game

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network
Barozi said:
SnakeDrake said:
lol @ the people who predicted the Will U version will out sale the ps3/xbox version instantly

for real ? I kinda doubt this is true. At least I haven't seen even one of these posts.

OT: While Black Ops 2 certainly underperformed on launch day, I think the fact that it's still the 4th biggest software title is more worrisome.
To me Assassin's Creed III looks like the biggest bomb so far (with Blops2). It likely sold about 10k and thus has only a ~1% attach ratio.

I wont go on and say names, but I'll just say it was a crazy Luigi leading a pack.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

TheLastStarFighter said:

The topic is rates, not totals. The premise is that people who buy a WiiU do not buy games like COD. The reality is that a similar percentage buy COD as PS3 owners. There are just less WiiU owners because it is brand new.

TheLastStarFighter said:
I honestly think the WiiU attach rate is more impressive. WiiU Black Ops is competing with 2 must have titles in NintendoLand and NSMBU on the same day. Few people are buying more than 2 or 3 titles in one go.  This was not the case on PS3.  But regardless, I simply think that a 1% change from one system to the next does not make sales go from great to dismal. That's just silly.

Just because you keep saying they have similar attach rates doesn't make it true.  Both the PS3 and 360 have an attach rate of over 12% in the US according to the November NPD.  Not to mention attach rates for individual games tend to go down as systems get older, not up.  NSMBU definitely won't have a 60% attach rate in 7 years.

Nintendo was hoping that considering they were releasing a "better" console, the people who enjoys those games, would buy a WiiU in order to play the "best" version.

It is quite obvious that Nintendo payed Ubisoft, and Activision to have their flagship titles on the console. They were expecting those games to be the bait to buy the console, but nobody gave damn.

Yakuzaice 21 minutes ago
TheLastStarFighter said:

The topic is rates, not totals. The premise is that people who buy a WiiU do not buy games like COD. The reality is that a similar percentage buy COD as PS3 owners. There are just less WiiU owners because it is brand new.

TheLastStarFighter said:
I honestly think the WiiU attach rate is more impressive. WiiU Black Ops is competing with 2 must have titles in NintendoLand and NSMBU on the same day. Few people are buying more than 2 or 3 titles in one go. This was not the case on PS3. But regardless, I simply think that a 1% change from one system to the next does not make sales go from great to dismal. That's just silly.

Just because you keep saying they have similar attach rates doesn't make it true. Both the PS3 and 360 have an attach rate of over 12% in the US according to the November NPD. Not to mention attach rates for individual games tend to go down as systems get older, not up. NSMBU definitely won't have a 60% attach rate in 7 years.

Your point on US attach rates are valid, your point on attach rates going down is not. Some attach rates will go up from launch week, others down. You can be sure that Mario and NintendoLand will go down, as they are the first two games purchased by most people. When they are done with those, they may pick up a COD, an AC, a ZombiU perhaps. So those may go up as people buy more software. Then as the next wave of software hits, attach rates for all titles will most likely decline. I would expect lots of changes. However, I do feel that Black Ops being the 4th most popular title at launch should be considered a success. Unlike the 360 Launch, when there was almost no must-have software, this COD has some juggernaught competition. BlackOps is doing well, and it's dispelling the myth that people who buy a nintendo system won't buy a title like COD. THey'll buy it as long as it's not a crap version.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
The install base for PS3, Xbox360 and PC are higher. Why would anyone be surprised that multiplat titles sold less on the Wii-U?

No one expected the Wii U version to sell better or even close to PS3/360 versions.
But they didn't expect it to flop.

The whole point of this is that 3rd party games, no matter how good will never sell respectable numbers. A better example is Assassin's Creed 3 which sold even less than BO2.

Everyone arguing all this retarded stuff, and also the extremely dumb thing squilliam said about core games not selling on the Wii U (because CoD is a core game and ZombiU isn't?) just stop. Why did CoD not sell very well on the Wii U? Let's take a look at the fact that you have PS3, 360, and PC for this game. EACH one has an already established userbase MUCH larger than the Wii U's. The Wii U just launched, and most people who would have gotten CoD had gotten it by the time they could get the Wii U one. So these numbers are NOT horrible, they are expected given the situation.

TheLastStarFighter said:

Your point on US attach rates are valid, your point on attach rates going down is not. Some attach rates will go up from launch week, others down. You can be sure that Mario and NintendoLand will go down, as they are the first two games purchased by most people. When they are done with those, they may pick up a COD, an AC, a ZombiU perhaps. So those may go up as people buy more software. Then as the next wave of software hits, attach rates for all titles will most likely decline. I would expect lots of changes. However, I do feel that Black Ops being the 4th most popular title at launch should be considered a success. Unlike the 360 Launch, when there was almost no must-have software, this COD has some juggernaught competition. BlackOps is doing well, and it's dispelling the myth that people who buy a nintendo system won't buy a title like COD. THey'll buy it as long as it's not a crap version.

How can you say the 360 had no "must-have software" when Call of Duty 2 sold more than NSMBU despite having smaller hardware sales?  You can hardly hold it against the 360 that Call of Duty was the must have software.  Apparently even more must-have than Mario.  Not to mention numerous other games that had strong sales (four games over 100k).  The Wii U has an attach rate of 1.2, the 360 had 3.69 in its launch month.  You say Black Ops 2 had good sales because it landed as the fourth best selling game.  However the 360 had at least 8 games with more than double the sales of Black Ops 2.  (8th best selling game was Quake 4 with 57k sales)  If we go by VGC the 360 had 14 games that outsold BO2 WiiU.  Keep in mind all of this is with about 100k fewer hardware sales.

It wasn't just the 360 though.  The Wii sold 48k copies of CoD3 and the PS3 sold 24k.  This was before Call of Duty exploded and the PS3 had less than half the hardware sales of the Wii U.  So apparently not being a "crap version" seems to have hurt sales rather than helped.  The Wii after all had its "must-have" as well which did better than NSMBU, but still managed to sell more copies of Call of Duty.

I just don't see any way BO2 can be called a "success" or "doing well".

MDMAlliance said:
Everyone arguing all this retarded stuff, and also the extremely dumb thing squilliam said about core games not selling on the Wii U (because CoD is a core game and ZombiU isn't?) just stop. Why did CoD not sell very well on the Wii U? Let's take a look at the fact that you have PS3, 360, and PC for this game. EACH one has an already established userbase MUCH larger than the Wii U's. The Wii U just launched, and most people who would have gotten CoD had gotten it by the time they could get the Wii U one. So these numbers are NOT horrible, they are expected given the situation.

That's the whole point. These type of games, will never be truly successful on the Wii U.

VGKing said:
MDMAlliance said:

That's the whole point. These type of games, will never be truly successful on the Wii U.

That's such an overstatement, I almost felt like not saying anything at all.  "never"?  
"These type of games"?  What does that mean, really?  That's extremely vague and so overstated, I can't imagine how anyone will take what you just said seriously.  

Are you talking about 3rd party games?  "Mass media" games?  FPS?  "Core" games like what the idiot Squilliam said?  (because what the heck is a core game anyway?) Multiplats?  The thing is that when the established userbase of the Wii U becomes big enough, it will have the potential to sell a lot more if people see the value in getting it over the other platforms.  This could easily happen.