By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So uh, no MGSV, Dark Souls II, BioShock Infinite, MG Rising, GTAV, etc. for Wii U ...

CCFanboy said:
runqvist said:

If Wii U were more powerful, it would get multiplats with PS4/720.

Would it though? Epic said they would be on nintendo the second they release a system that can run their engine. So where are they? What you guys need to realize is your taking that quote by Reggie and spinning it. Power alone will not persuade developers to jump towards the others. Not if nobody buys them. Everything starts over now.

Its a fair trade. The wii u has cheaper dev costs and similar architecture to ps3 and 360. That means ease of development and expirience could go in wii u's favor. Ps4 and 360 2 will be built to run new engines and be different with far higher development costs. So which is really the safest bet here? The cost of development on those systems will no doubt effect game prices so that already puts this in wii u's favor.

Of course there would have be good sales on those multiplats.

Safest bet for third parties will be PS4/720, just take a look at how 3rd party games did on Wii and games like cod are doing on Wii U. Third parties are not going to make their games for Wii U and port to PS4/720, because it would only piss their primary customers off. It will be either a watered down port or no games at all for Wii U when next gen consoles show up.

Around the Network
runqvist said:

Of course there would have be good sales on those multiplats.

Safest bet for third parties will be PS4/720, just take a look at how 3rd party games did on Wii and games like cod are doing on Wii U. Third parties are not going to make their games for Wii U and port to PS4/720, because it would only piss their primary customers off. It will be either a watered down port or no games at all for Wii U when next gen consoles show up.

But if costs double just by getting your head around unreal 4 then what will it mean to build your own engine? I am quite sure sales must absolutely skyrocket from day 1 or the risk of development would not justify the development cost.

I've said from the start what I think will happen. You will start seeing a shift in sales as this plays out. Japanese companies will start seeing more sales on nintendo then they did on xbox again. It is pretty much a given call of duty will sell more on xbox but that is because microsoft have everything set up perfectly for that crowd. Nintendo will need to make a serious shift to even think about having that crowd. But there is one market they have better control of.

Despite the huge generalization that third party support sucks on nintendo japanese support often tends to be good. So if nintendo improve that area they will be fine. The only problem is localization. Which they have little control over. Last generation there was very much a reason team ninja were the only japanese company backing xbox by the end. Itagaki was a power lover and companies there actually (funnily enough) saw more sales on nintendo then xbox. that is why there was virtually no support in that area.

Nintendo have virtually no chance of winning the call of duty crowd. One crowd they can win back is the fanbase that play games like resident evil. Bayonetta and monster hunter are good starts in claiming that market overseas.

My only question is why did soundwave even make this thread when he is buying his multiplats on ps3? If he is still playing ps3 wii u multiplats shouldn't bother him.

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D

I know the Wii U is only just out, but i fear it will be mostly ignored by the 3rd parties like the Wii was (for the big games anyway) but i don't see why they wouldn't be releasing games like GTA 5 or Bioshock on Wii U. Hopefully, this will change soon

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

runqvist said:
Cobretti2 said:
runqvist said:
Cobretti2 said:
runqvist said:
I am not surprised at all. I see Wii U as an in between-console, not getting the multiplats with ps360 and later missing the multiplats on PS4/720.

Your point is moot because no matter how powerful the Nintendo console was, there still woudln't be good support. There are various reasons for it but the only way this will change if Nintendo does something about it.

If Wii U were more powerful, it would get multiplats with PS4/720.

Just like the gamecube did or the n64? Sure it got some initially but that support quickly vanished mid cycle.

N64 did not have an optical drive and the gamecube got support but when there were not enough sales for those games, the support went away. Do you think that would have happened to a more powerful wii u too?

Well the problem is there is history that has not been forgotten and/or forgiven yet. Hence why I do not think it would have mattered much.

Then you got those devs using excuses like "test games" capcom released ON RAILS RE games wtf for? RE4 Wii Edition port sold better because it was a real RE game. This really pissed me of as RE4 had great controls and that is what I wanted to experience from a future RE title, which made me sad when RE5 did not come out. But in the end I still got it on PS3. Then move come out and solved my need for the pointer controller.

However saying that I think the WiiU will get better support from Japanese developers, how much better who knows.

It is the west that Nintendo has always struggled to keep or get commitment from.

Vinniegambini said:
People, bare in mind that Reggie stated that there are games that have not been announced that will make their way to Wii U during the launch window. I'm thinking Tomb Raider and Bioshock will be part of that line-up and maybe, if all goes according to plan, a GTA 5.

So both Tomb Raider and Bioshock launch in a few months. When is Nintendo going to announce their ports ?

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/10/19/tomb-raider-reboot-for-wii-u-not-in-development-at-this-time/
http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/ken-levine-reminds-everyone-bioshock-infinite-wii-u-isnt-a-thing/

Around the Network
wfz said:
The problem is that the developer side of this industry is split into two groups:

1) Those who want to develop the highest tech and most badass complex games possible

2) Those who are focusing on new experiences on phones/tablets

Wii U falls into the middle category. Very few developers care for it. They might, however, if/when the high end market crashes under its own pressure.

There is a truth that you will become aware of if you're not entirely already, and that is "software dictates hardware, and hardware dictates software."  Software always pushes the hardware boundaries forcing hardware upgrades.  In turn, the hardware can not only restrict software but also free it depending on where the software falls in the hardware cycle.  This has always been the case, and this will always be the case.

There will never be an instance where the high-end game market crashes under it's own pressure.  The high-end games will always perpetuate the hardware cycle.  Developers will always push the bounds of the hardware and hardware manufacturers will always strive to advance it. 

I'm not sure under what circumstances you believe "the high-end market crashes under it's own pressure"?  You're either under the misguided notion that software doesn't advance or advances very slowly and that would be rather erroneous.  If you believe the consolidation is the result of excessive costs of development, then you're under the misguided notion that cost of development is stagnant.  It isn't, and it never has been.  The cost to move from 4K to 16K, from monochrome to 4 color, from 16-bit to 32-bit, or from DOS to Windows all had costs associated with them that increased the cost of gaming.  It's not different then than it is today.  Developers will push the hardware boundaries creating new experiences, those new experiences mature while at the same time developers begin pushing hardware beyond what its capable of or dreaming of how to. 

Not to make it sound like the hardware engineers are dolts.  They aren't.  Not in the least.  They know pretty much what the hardware is capable of, they play a wait and see game to see what software developers can do, but at the same time they need to see what they can and can't do to see what the next level of hardware needs.

A great example of this is 4 color gaming.  At the time computers were generally in the realm of business or education.  Very little graphic gaming took place, and considering most computers were monochrome and the majority of monitors were green screens it didn't need to be anything different.  With the advent of 4 color gaming things changed and relatively quickly.  Within a few years time the majority of computers sold went from being sold with a monochrome display adapter and monitor to being sold with a 4 color CGA monitor.  Games went from being black and white text adventure games, to simplistic (by todays standards) graphical games.  Developers are technologists, just like hardware people.  While there are a group of them that would like to perpetually do the same thing, there is a much more significantly larger group of developers and graphic artists that wan to push the boundaries.  That latter group will always strive for the next level of gaming.

If, however you assume that gamers will revolt, I sincerely doubt that as well.  As in every category of humanity, there is a group of people that always want the next level, that always want to push the boundaries and they will always be early adopters when possible. 

Virtual/augmented reality gaming will be the next step in gaming.  The technology has advanced to the point where the hardware is now consumer friendly.  While Sony is moving toward a traditional VAR experience, Microsoft is definitely pushing the boundaries with their projection system.  In 20 years VAR gaming will be common place regardless of whether or not it's glasses only, or a 3D projection system.  That will undoubtedly increase the cost of developing games, but the reality is that consumers as technologists will want it. 

It is man's innate desire to push to new heights.  Adam had a choice to take a bite of an apple or not, it was his desire to know the unanswerable questions that propelled him to take a bite.  We went to the moon because of our desires to push the boundaries.  We launched probes into space because of our desire to know, to push the boundaries. 

I'm quite confident that there will never come a day when high-end gaming crushes under the weight of it's own pressure to strive for the next great thing.  Development studios may come and go, and developers with them, but each generation of developer builds on the success and failures of the previous one.

You get a Nintendo system to play tried and true Nintendo games (and a handful of 3rd party games), that´s it, it´s been that way since the N64.As long as Microsoft and Sony are in the game, (Western) 3rd parties will be all over them and not give a damn about seriously supporting Nintendo systems.

What you probably can expect from the Wii U: Nintendo games (duh!..but that´s the reason you get a Nintendo system), good Japanese support, weak Western support, especially once the next Xbox and Playstation are launched.

BluGamer23 said:
lets all panic guys!! no third party games in development on the wiiU !!.

Yay!!!! I want to panic too! :o) Even if my worries don't make a difference in the outcome of the gen, let's do it!

Yeah, actually this is a glass half full kind of thread. The WiiU is getting a lot more than what the Wii got, and that's already a good step up. Give it time, with some legs for 3rd party multiplats (which we have yet to see), it is a momentum thing.

Anyways, YAY FOR PANIC!!!!! You rock guys, keep it up. Making vgchartz an awesome place to browse since 2010.

happydolphin said:
BluGamer23 said:
lets all panic guys!! no third party games in development on the wiiU !!.

Yay!!!! I want to panic too! :o) Even if my worries don't make a difference in the outcome of the gen, let's do it!

Yeah, actually this is a glass half full kind of thread. The WiiU is getting a lot more than what the Wii got, and that's already a good step up. Give it time, with some legs for 3rd party multiplats (which we have yet to see), it is a momentum thing.

Anyways, YAY FOR PANIC!!!!! You rock guys, keep it up. Making vgchartz an awesome place to browse since 2010.

Hey man, anything for a return to the good old days 2007-2008

Cobretti2 said:

Then you got those devs using excuses like "test games" capcom released ON RAILS RE games wtf for? RE4 Wii Edition port sold better because it was a real RE game. This really pissed me of as RE4 had great controls and that is what I wanted to experience from a future RE title, which made me sad when RE5 did not come out. But in the end I still got it on PS3. Then move come out and solved my need for the pointer controller.

However saying that I think the WiiU will get better support from Japanese developers, how much better who knows.

It is the west that Nintendo has always struggled to keep or get commitment from.

Your quoted for truth. To answer your question resident evil 5 missed wii because it couldn't handle the engine. I remember capcom thinking about looking into a remake on the re4 engine to get it on there. They just didn't take the time.

@ Barozi take the tomb raider with a pinch of salt. There has been evidence recently contradicting crystal. It could very well be that game sr is making and the person who answered is misinformed.

One more thing to complete my year = senran kagura localization =D