By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Current vs Last, a Console Sales Story (COMPLETE!)

Final Smash: Should somone one do this at the start of every gen?

yes 65 75.58%

no 3 3.49%

show me the money! 7 8.14%

Total:75

2 words: economic crisis. A bad one. I don`t think many people outside of Germany or the UK can or are willed to spend money on a new console right now, not with the economy in ruins. But since the recent data is from the 15th I expect next week to be better, since most christmas sales happen around 15th - 22th (at least here in Germany).

Around the Network

@KHlover: yeah I guess it could be due to the frisks, BUT all the other consoles are doing just fine in EU - so how do we explain that?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
@KHlover: yeah I guess it could be due to the frisks, BUT all the other consoles are doing just fine in EU - so how do we explain that?

I think partly because they are MUCH cheaper (in Germany you can get a new PS3 or Xbox360 with 1-2 games for 250 Euro, no way for Nintendo to beat that) and because the most successful franchises in Europe rely heavily on online gaming, so why should someone get a WiiU if all of his friends have a PS3?

@KHlover: so that pretty much means WiiU is fucked until the other NeXT gen consoles launch? I mean, there's no reason to get à WiiU unless ppl start to switch over to NeXT gen, right?

DanneSandin said:
@KHlover: so that pretty much means WiiU is fucked until the other NeXT gen consoles launch? I mean, there's no reason to get à WiiU unless ppl start to switch over to NeXT gen, right?

It's sad, but that's what I think. For most european gamers there really is no reason to switch to WiiU, the sales reflect that. The Nintendo IPs will boost the sales when they are released, but I don't see many people changing over to WiiU, not until there is a price cut. However, I also see the PS4/720 having the same problems at launch, the strong 7th generations will hurt ALL 8th generation consoles, not just the WiiU. As long as FIFA and CoD are released on the 7th generation I don't see the 8th catching up.

Around the Network

thanks for this weeks update.

nice charts superchunk,the launch WW is doing fine then but obviously the WiiU won't sell like the Wii due to the Buzz that the Wii created in the media,not yet anyway

Above & Beyond

Thanks for updates, superchunk. This really helps put things in perspective.

I think the Wii U will sales will be 14+ million by the end of 2013.

KHlover said:
DanneSandin said:

It's sad, but that's what I think. For most european gamers there really is no reason to switch to WiiU, the sales reflect that. The Nintendo IPs will boost the sales when they are released, but I don't see many people changing over to WiiU, not until there is a price cut. However, I also see the PS4/720 having the same problems at launch, the strong 7th generations will hurt ALL 8th generation consoles, not just the WiiU. As long as FIFA and CoD are released on the 7th generation I don't see the 8th catching up.

Yeah, you might be right. It will be very interesting to see how PS720 will do next year, that's for sure!!