By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New portable gaming device! Introducing the ARCHOS GamePad

SOURCE

FEATURES & SPECS

• Operating System: Google Certified Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
  • Smooth Gaming Experience with 3D Graphics: Quad-core Mali 400 MP GPU paired with a 1.6GHz Dual-core CPU.
  • Memory: 8GB of internal memory with microSD slot or up to 64GB of additional space.
  • Mini-HDMI: Use the mini-HDMI port to connect the GamePad to your TV for a big screen viewing experience.
  • Google PlayTM: 700,000 apps and games and includes DRM support for downloading books, magazines, music, movies and TV shows.
  • ARCHOS Media Center applications: tailor made apps for video and music that include metadata scraping, auto-subtitles and of course, the best format and codec support around including 1080p video decoding.

For more information about GamePad visit http://www.ARCHOS.com

Around the Network

This is close to Vita specs but without Playstation 1st party.
Not sure if Archos is able to gain quality 3rd party ... but it will be relatively interesting to watch because it marries the potential for solid core gaming with full Android tablet features.

In the end, it'll likely not do well as it won't have the solid 3rd party (or any first) to really allow it to stand out.

Might as well try it, I have had only good experiences with archos products.

To be honest, I think this is awesome... 7 inch portable with DPAD and buttons that plays emulators and fun portable smartphone games. On top of that it has Dolphin and Chrome(?) Android browser, a proper email client and all of the cool apps android has to offer...

I'd get this over PS Vita in a heartbeat.

Only thing that's slightly dissapointing is the dpad, which looks crap lol...not Street Fighter worthy for sure.

Gamepad? Copyright infringements inbound!

Nah, seriously it looks alright, bit thin for me really.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
disolitude said:

To be honest, I think this is awesome... 7 inch portable with DPAD and buttons that plays emulators and fun portable smartphone games. On top of that it has Dolphin and Chrome(?) Android browser, a proper email client and all of the cool apps android has to offer...

I'd get this over PS Vita in a heartbeat.

Only thing that's slightly dissapointing is the dpad, which looks crap lol...not Street Fighter worthy for sure.

Funny, at first I was all negative... then I hit up their page (link in OP) and it actually looks like a very nice tablet/gaming device. I am now thinking that if the price is reasonable, I'll like grab one.

Oh my god! It's only £129! I might just get one of these...

man-bear-pig said:
Oh my god! It's only £129! I might just get one of these...

So, it may be ~$200 in US.

hmm... for that I may just get a Nexus7. idk... will have to see how well its received and if its OS has been modified much beyond the extra gaming focus.

Mini-HDMI out, expandable through regular SD Cards (cough *Sony* cough), and emulator support ... for a low price, honestly I'd probably pick one of these up depending on screen quality.

The d-pad needs some work though.

Honestly Google or Samsung should make something like this on their own and sell it at a reasonable price ... it would shake up the industry big time. 

I bought a Archos way back. Little did I know, they nickle and diming you to unlock features, at premium price.
Their hardwares are cheap, though. Just be prepared to get robbed on the software front.