By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U sold 40K units during UK launch (CONFIRMED)

Wii U sells 40k units in the UK in its opening weekend

Nintendo’s Wii U console sold around 40,000 units in its first 48 hours on sale in the UK, MCV understands.

Retail sources suggest that effectively amounts to a complete sellout on the UK High Street. Stock is continuing to filter through to retail at a trickle but abundant supplies are not expected until the New Year.

Undoubtedly sales could have been considerably higher had stocks have been more plentiful.

Furthermore, MCV understands that the console has enjoyed a software attach rate in excess of 2:1.

The figures were arrived at through a combination of feedback from retailers and software sales data passed on by trade sources. Using this MCV was able to extrapolate estimated sales based on the previously confirmed Wii U bundle market shares.

UPDATE: These numbers exclude digital software sales from Nintendo's eShop.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/wii-u-sells-40k-units-in-the-uk-in-its-opening-weekend/0107419

Around the Network

Nintendo is doomed?
those are awful sales, but UK is Sonysoft territory so no surprise

I don't understand the basic bundle at all, its incredibly unattractive next to the premium one. The market seems to agree with me on this one as well, sales tell us as much. I'm fairly certain they'll faze it out of the market pretty soon and launch one more bundle slightly above or slightly below premium for a decent price. Probably around when the console becomes profitable, which won't be too long.

Did anyone on vgchartz buy the basic Wii U? Will anyone do it? I won't even consider it, for only 50$ more, the premium is a steal.

thats like really bad right?

Yikes! That's significantly worse than the Vita's launch numbers. (64k)

Around the Network

Mummelmann said:
I don't understand the basic bundle at all, its incredibly unattractive next to the premium one. The market seems to agree with me on this one as well, sales tell us as much. I'm fairly certain they'll faze it out of the market pretty soon and launch one more bundle slightly above or slightly below premium for a decent price. Probably around when the console becomes profitable, which won't be too long.
Did anyone on vgchartz buy the basic Wii U? Will anyone do it? I won't even consider it, for only 50$ more, the premium is a steal.

i did, i wanted the white one + i dont need that extra space when i own a 2tb HDD, plus my friends, all of them, own Nland, i ll borrow it from them if necessary
i got the U + Tekken + Zombi for 400$, i think thats better than the Zombi bundle

DieAppleDie said:
Nintendo is doomed?
those are awful sales, but UK is Sonysoft territory so no surprise

Actually XBox 360 is generally considered the lead console in Europe (post-Wii decline). Sony is stronger than MS in other Euro markets, but US/UK is XBox Land. 

I don't think that's actually Nintendo's big problem, Nintendo's problem in the UK is that Apple/Google (Android) and the explosion of social/free gaming options has cut the legs off the blue oceans of the Wii/DS from several years ago. 

The game industry in general in the UK is doing terribly, aside from the annual Call of Duty/FIFAs. 

DieAppleDie; Yeah, that's a good deal! But for me its also important I get a black one since my surround set, PS3, x-box, TV and TV stand are all black...

I expected Wii U to fail miserably in EU. Is this confirming my beliefs?

its not bad if it means that 100% of shipped consoles were sold to customers