By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox720 clocked speed low?

animegaming said:

consoles will never be on par with PC due to how fast technology advances and due to how consoles specs are lock down and can never be changed

At launch? All previous consoles were on pair with the TOP PC at launch.

After that the PC became more strong with the years.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

_crazy_man_ said:

Hoping this is sarcasm.

Putting a GTX 680 or similar GPU in a console, said in your previous comment, would put a HUGE price on the console.

It's not sarcasm... at launch of the 360 the R520 (Fudo) is not released yet and the R500 in the 360 was the best GPU in the market... all the previous gen showed consoles on pair or better than the top PCs in the moment.

What the point to have a console like low PC at the launch?

The timeline for a console is to be like below...

Launch: TOP PC
2 years: MID PC
5 years: LOW PC

A console at lauch with a power of a LOW PC is terrible for the game industry.

i can think of so many reasons  on what is hurting gaming industry more and that is definetly not one of them 

ethomaz said:

animegaming said:

consoles will never be on par with PC due to how fast technology advances and due to how consoles specs are lock down and can never be changed

then prove it to me compare the 360 specs to a 2005 gaming PC

animegaming said:

i can think of so many reasons  on what is hurting gaming industry more and that is definetly not one of them

There is no point to buy a console delivering the power of a low PC at launch... after five year you have what in the hands... a console machine have to be on pair with high-end PC at launch.

ethomaz said:

animegaming said:

There is no point to buy a console delivering the power of a low PC at launch... after five year you have what in the hands... a console machine have to be on pair with high-end PC at launch.

actually there is a point it is what every gamer buys a console 

GAMES!!!!

Around the Network

animegaming said:

The R500 GPU of 360 was the fastest and most advanced GPU in the market... only after a few months the ATI launched the R520 (Fudo) for PC... the first GPU to use Unified Sharders was the 360's GPU.

ethomaz said:

animegaming said:

What if it has good games?

Yay!!!

animegaming said:
ethomaz said:

animegaming said:

He sorta has a point in that its GPU, x1800 series R520 was on par with the best GPU, the GeForce 7800GTX, but costed more (least in December).

Now my question to ethomaz is how much did the R520 cost on PC at launch?

Currently the GTX 680 is priced at $460-$500.  Of course when bought in bulk the price can be lowered but we're looking at a GPU that will cost alonenear or more than the launch premium 360 price.  We can take a good guess that Microsoft's new console will be sold at a loss but unless they release a +$600 console with a planned GTX 680 or on par GPU the loss would be too great even for Microsoft to logically do if priced lower.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

ethomaz said:

animegaming said:

The R500 GPU of 360 was the fastest and most advanced GPU in the market... only after a few months the ATI launched the R520 (Fudo) for PC... the first GPU to use Unified Sharders was the 360's GPU.

you got a point but look at PC games then compare to what the 360 launched with 

PC cpu's have not been clocked past 4.2ghz (they can be overclocked but only if they have been unlocked ie a 3570k is where as a 3550 is not), i remember around 2001/2002 when pentium 4's were being clocked to 3.6ghz however since multiple cores generate more heat with higher clock speeds the clock speeds have remained around the 3.5ghz point on desktop cpus and around 2ghz with mobile cpus.

Current PC build:

Asus Z97I-Plus, i5 4790K @ 4.6ghz, EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 1377/1853/124%, Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz 2x 8192mb, Corsair RM850, Corsair H80i, 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, 750GB Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 320GB Weston Digital HDD, Corsair 230T, Corsair K50 Raptor, HP XQ500AA mouse, Windows 10 Pro 64bit. iiyama Pro Lite G2773HS 120Hz 1Ms G2G gaming monitor.