By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Uncharted 3 vs Gears of War 3 (revisited)

Uncharted 3 vs Gears of War 3 (total lifetime sales)

Uncharted 3 647 72.86%

Gears of War 3 241 27.14%

Total:888
killerzX said:
BenVTrigger said:
killerzX said:
Benrigger said:
killerzX said:
BenVTrigger said:
Found it. Gears franchise has already sold through over 19 million to consumers not shipped. The franchise is undertracked here by almost 1 miliion units.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jimreilly/status/266266889297227777

vgchartz has the gears franchise at 18.17 million.

but that number doesnt include digital downloads, or the downloads for the PC version. i would definitely expect the PC to have at least close to a million digital sales. and the Digital download sales for the xbox i would expect to be several 10's of thousand, likely over 100,000.

so i dont think we have it undertracked.

Did you really just say you think Gears of War has almost a million PC downloads.......

Not to mention Im sure this doesnt include digital sales as MS doesnt include them in their sales figures.  We know they dont for Halo so doubtful they do for Gears

you dont think so? surely Gears of war 1 must have sold decently on the PC. i would think a franchise with its quality and caliber would have over a million sales of PC. oh and i just looked at vgchartz numbers again. and it says .01 million for Gears 1 (PC) so yeah that version i likely undertracked.

as for the other part, why wouldnt microsoft include them? and as for the bolded: We do? how do you know?

not saying you are wrong. just wanting to know.

We know they dont include digital with Halo sale due to Reach.  The latest figure for Halo franchise sales even out with what we know it sold at retail.  Reach was HEAVILY bundled digitally last year with the 360 and when MS released franchise sales earlier this year none of the bundle boost showed up in the numbers.

im a little confused. are you saying we know they dont include digital because they released figures that matched up to vgchartz numbers?

also maybe they only include downloads from people who actually downloaded the game. so say they sold hald a million xbox bundles with halo download codes, maybe only a quarter million actaully used the vaucher to download the game.

i just find it hard to believe a company wouldnt include digital sales when they release sales numbers about a game.

Most console companies dont release digital figures.  As far as I know neither Sony or Nintendo have ever released digital sales other than MS a few times when bragging about XBLA sales.

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:
killerzX said:
BenVTrigger said:
killerzX said:
Benrigger said:
killerzX said:
BenVTrigger said:
Found it. Gears franchise has already sold through over 19 million to consumers not shipped. The franchise is undertracked here by almost 1 miliion units.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jimreilly/status/266266889297227777

vgchartz has the gears franchise at 18.17 million.

but that number doesnt include digital downloads, or the downloads for the PC version. i would definitely expect the PC to have at least close to a million digital sales. and the Digital download sales for the xbox i would expect to be several 10's of thousand, likely over 100,000.

so i dont think we have it undertracked.

Did you really just say you think Gears of War has almost a million PC downloads.......

Not to mention Im sure this doesnt include digital sales as MS doesnt include them in their sales figures.  We know they dont for Halo so doubtful they do for Gears

you dont think so? surely Gears of war 1 must have sold decently on the PC. i would think a franchise with its quality and caliber would have over a million sales of PC. oh and i just looked at vgchartz numbers again. and it says .01 million for Gears 1 (PC) so yeah that version i likely undertracked.

as for the other part, why wouldnt microsoft include them? and as for the bolded: We do? how do you know?

not saying you are wrong. just wanting to know.

We know they dont include digital with Halo sale due to Reach.  The latest figure for Halo franchise sales even out with what we know it sold at retail.  Reach was HEAVILY bundled digitally last year with the 360 and when MS released franchise sales earlier this year none of the bundle boost showed up in the numbers.

im a little confused. are you saying we know they dont include digital because they released figures that matched up to vgchartz numbers?

also maybe they only include downloads from people who actually downloaded the game. so say they sold hald a million xbox bundles with halo download codes, maybe only a quarter million actaully used the vaucher to download the game.

i just find it hard to believe a company wouldnt include digital sales when they release sales numbers about a game.

Most console companies dont release digital figures.  As far as I know neither Sony or Nintendo have ever released digital sales other than MS a few times when bragging about XBLA sales.

thanks for the clarifaction. hopefully both companies give us updated sales numbers for these games i would really like to know how much the series have sold after this Christmas season

d21lewis said:
Anyhoo, I count Wii Sports sales. I count Kinect Adventures sales. I'll gladly count Uncharted 3 sales. The game got into the hands of gamers. That's all that matters.

uhh no

Wii Sports and Kinect Adventures were basically FULLY bundled to where they are today

Uncharted 3 just got bundled with the super slim ps3 launch in America. I believe it will be discontinued in January

Uncharted 3 was selling GREAT before it was bundled and it would have did well even if it wasn't bundled with the Super Slim PS3. I dont know why Sony bundled this game though because Uncharted sells well on its own. They should have bundled StarHawk

pezus said:
DirtyP2002 said:
pezus said:
DirtyP2002 said:
bundles.

/thread

Oh, you're right!

oh come on. that was the limited one that sold out about 2 months later. No major retailer has it in stock.

But who am I kidding? you know that already.

Of course, but was your post any better? 

yes. Uncharted 3 sold better in the past weeks due to the massive bundles. You know that as you just said. Why not just agree with me instead of bringing this pic up?

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

pezus said:
DirtyP2002 said:
pezus said:
DirtyP2002 said:
bundles.

/thread

Oh, you're right!

oh come on. that was the limited one that sold out about 2 months later. No major retailer has it in stock.

But who am I kidding? you know that already.

Of course, but was your post any better? 

Yes his post was better.

Around the Network
20happyballs said:
VGKing said:

Uncharted 3 is permanently bundled with the cheapest PS3, so sales will fly by Gears 3.

P.S. to anyone downplaying this inevitable feat:

Gears 3 was massively bundled at launch, shifted hundreds of thousands of 360s.

So don't be a hypocrite.

The thing is, those people buying UC3 are not necessarily buying it because they want it. It comes with a ps3, so they might as well buy it. Many of those people will barely even play the game, and some may not even play it at all. And UC3 being part of a bundle also provides some advertising for the game. Gears 3, on the other hand, is not bundled with anything. So only people who want to actually buy gears 3, will actually buy gears 3. And for the most part, gears 3 is not being advertised anymore. 

Tell those people their idiots then, especially the latter. If you are buying a PS3 for the first time, you wouldn't be able to judge the game at first glance, since you most likely know very about sony titles, because you are indeed buying the console this late in the gen. They would have to play the game, and most likely finish, since it isnt very long.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

pezus said:
DirtyP2002 said:
bundles.

/thread

Oh, you're right!

Am i doing it right?

VGKing said:
20happyballs said:
VGKing said:
20happyballs said:
VGKing said:

Uncharted 3 is permanently bundled with the cheapest PS3, so sales will fly by Gears 3.

P.S. to anyone downplaying this inevitable feat:

Gears 3 was massively bundled at launch, shifted hundreds of thousands of 360s.

So don't be a hypocrite.

The thing is, those people buying UC3 are not necessarily buying it because they want it. It comes with a ps3, so they might as well buy it. Many of those people will barely even play the game, and some may not even play it at all. And UC3 being part of a bundle also provides some advertising for the game. Gears 3, on the other hand, is not bundled with anything. So only people who want to actually buy gears 3, will actually buy gears 3. And for the most part, gears 3 is not being advertised anymore. 

Gears 3 was bundled, massively at launch. Those bundles moved hundreds of thousands of units.

Don't worry, Uncharted 3 isn't advertised anymore either.

You seem to be missing the point. Gears 3 was selling those bundles. People bought those bundles because it had Gears 3 and they wanted a gears 3 themed xbox.

UC3, on the other hand, is not selling the ps3 bundles. The people are not buying UC3, but a ps3. UC3 is just a bonus included in the box. They would have bought the ps3 regardless. However, because the ps3 is bundled with UC3, UC3 is still relevant. UC3 is being advertised by being part of the bundle. Gears 3, on the other hand, is not getting any sort of extra exposure to the market, other than it being on store shelves.

No. People that wanted an Xbox and also were interested in Gears bought that bungle, just like new PS3 owners would buy the PS3 with Uncharted 3 instead of the vanilla old Slim or the 500gig.

People paid extra for Gears 3, while people got UC3 for free with their bundles. Do you really think that people are buying a Ps3 to play uncharted 3? They're only buying it because it wouldn't make sense to buy a ps3 alone when they could buy a bundle that comes with a free game. But you're obviously a stubborn fanboy...I don't even know why I'm trying to talk to a wall. I'm sorry. It was dumb of me for thinking that you could be reasoned with.  

User was warned for this post - Kantor

pezus said:
Nsanity said:
pezus said:
DirtyP2002 said:
bundles.

/thread

Oh, you're right!

Am i doing it right?

Sure are . But, like I pointed out...most of the sales this year came from Europe where it isn't even bundled.

wrong again. This is in stock at amazon.de

Sometimes it is really hard to argue with you.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Jay520 said:
Gears 3 seems to be selling very little these days. While Uncharted 3 is of course putting amazing numbers (albeit due to bundles mainly). It should pass it soon, maybe even by the end of the year. It's only 500k units behind. If it keeps doing these 100k+ weeks, then it'll pass it by the end of the year. If not, then it'll pass it by early 2013 at the latest.

Smart business move by Sony to get the Uncharted fanbase as large as possible, especially as we transition to next generation. Thre's going to be a lot of Uncharted owners/fans in 2013. An Uncharted 4 at the PS4 launch would attract a lot of gamers.

I think the bundles with Uncharted 1 and 2 will increase the legs of Uncharted 3 only if shoppers who want the sequels dont all go to Gamestop at once.