By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Uncharted 3 vs Gears of War 3 (revisited)

Uncharted 3 vs Gears of War 3 (total lifetime sales)

Uncharted 3 647 72.86%

Gears of War 3 241 27.14%

Total:888
BenVTrigger said:
Euphoria14 said:
BenVTrigger said:
Gears of War 3 is probably undertracked according to official numbers from Epic.

Gears as a franchise hit 19M as of the end of September according to the latest report (Released in November) and that report did not disclose shipment numbers for Gears 3. They mentioned that Gears 3 moved 3M at launch (Sold). We have as a franchise Gears sitting at 18.07.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/07/gears-of-war-franchise-has-surpassed-19-million-sales/

Uncharted franchise was reported at 17.3M as of April 12th, 2012, with Uncharted 3 shipping 3.8M at launch. VGC now has it at 15.82M 6-1/2 months later. It is obvious that since April they shipped more and even more so since Uncharted 3 is bundled now for the holidays.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250088/sony-uncharted-franchise-has-sold-1732-million-units/

3M sold in first week for Gears and 3.8M shipped at launch is all we have for either. Only going by total shipments for each franchise can we even begin to determine if either is undertracked and the argument looks to be way in Uncharted's favor. It is even arguable now that the Uncharted franchise has now outshipped and/or even outsold the Gears franchise.

If there is a different report that has what Gears 3 has shipped, could you please link me?

Thanks.

Edit - Reading the linked Joystiq article it mentions that Gears 1 + 2 are said to have shipped over 12M combined, leaving 6-7M shipped for Gears 3. I would say it is probably ~6.3-6.5M or so, so our numbers while possibly undertracked, are probably not by much. Maybe a couple hundred thousand if we aren't to believe 1M copies on shelves WW.

That of course would lend even more argument in favor of Uncharted though.

The Gears numbers that Epic said were sell through to consumer not shipped.  It was confirmed somewhere Ill dig it up.

The one before that was in July and they also said "Sold" when the franchise hit 18M total.

http://www.gamefreaks.co.nz/2012/07/14/gears-war-judgement-release-date-confirmed/

As a publisher Sony also said "Sold" 17.3M for Uncharted.

It is commonplace for a publisher to announced shipped as sold because for them it is indeed a sale. They already got their money. They don't care what it sold at retail at that point.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:
Gears of War 3 is probably undertracked according to official numbers from Epic.

Sold through, not shipped.

I already posted the confirmatioj that theres more than 19 million sold to consumer not shipped....https://mobile.twitter.com/jimreilly/status/266266889297227777

Gears franchise is around 1 million under tracked

DirtyP2002 said:
bundles.

/thread

Pretty much.

BenVTrigger said:
Found it. Gears franchise has already sold through over 19 million to consumers not shipped. The franchise is undertracked here by almost 1 miliion units.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jimreilly/status/266266889297227777

vgchartz has the gears franchise at 18.17 million.

but that number doesnt include digital downloads, or the downloads for the PC version. i would definitely expect the PC to have at least close to a million digital sales. and the Digital download sales for the xbox i would expect to be several 10's of thousand, likely over 100,000.

so i dont think we have it undertracked.

Around the Network
killerzX said:
BenVTrigger said:
Found it. Gears franchise has already sold through over 19 million to consumers not shipped. The franchise is undertracked here by almost 1 miliion units.

but that number doesnt include digital downloads, or the downloads for the PC version. i would definitely expect the PC to have at least close to a million digital sales. and the Digital download sales for the xbox i would expect to be several 10's of thousand, likely over 100,000.

Did you really just say you think Gears of War has almost a million PC downloads.......

Not to mention Im sure this doesnt include digital sales as MS doesnt include them in their sales figures.  We know they dont for Halo so doubtful they do for Gears

BenVTrigger said:

I already posted the confirmatioj that theres more than 19 million sold to consumer not shipped....https://mobile.twitter.com/jimreilly/status/266266889297227777

Gears franchise is around 1 million under tracked

Sorry, my post must have went through afterwards. I am at work so many of my posts sit around before I publish them. it's easy for posts that counter them to be published before mine.

That says a lot then. Both series clearly undertracked then. We can't make any real concrete decision in this thread until we get updated Uncharted numbers from Sony.

I wonder what the breakdown is from NPD and the others for the entire franchise. VGC has some work to do.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

BenVTrigger said:
killerzX said:
BenVTrigger said:

Did you really just say you think Gears of War has almost a million PC downloads.......

Not to mention Im sure this doesnt include digital sales as MS doesnt include them in their sales figures.  We know they dont for Halo so doubtful they do for Gears

you dont think so? surely Gears of war 1 must have sold decently on the PC. i would think a franchise with its quality and caliber would have over a million sales of PC. oh and i just looked at vgchartz numbers again. and it says .01 million for Gears 1 (PC) so yeah that version i likely undertracked.

as for the other part, why wouldnt microsoft include them? and as for the bolded: We do? how do you know?

not saying you are wrong. just wanting to know.

killerzX said:
BenVTrigger said:
killerzX said:
BenVTrigger said:

you dont think so? surely Gears of war 1 must have sold decently on the PC. i would think a franchise with its quality and caliber would have over a million sales of PC. oh and i just looked at vgchartz numbers again. and it says .01 million for Gears 1 (PC) so yeah that version i likely undertracked.

as for the other part, why wouldnt microsoft include them? and as for the bolded: We do? how do you know?

We know they dont include digital with Halo sale due to Reach.  The latest figure for Halo franchise sales even out with what we know it sold at retail.  Reach was HEAVILY bundled digitally last year with the 360 and when MS released franchise sales earlier this year none of the bundle boost showed up in the numbers.

BenVTrigger said:
killerzX said:
BenVTrigger said:
killerzX said:
BenVTrigger said:

We know they dont include digital with Halo sale due to Reach.  The latest figure for Halo franchise sales even out with what we know it sold at retail.  Reach was HEAVILY bundled digitally last year with the 360 and when MS released franchise sales earlier this year none of the bundle boost showed up in the numbers.

im a little confused. are you saying we know they dont include digital because they released figures that matched up to vgchartz numbers?

also maybe they only include downloads from people who actually downloaded the game. so say they sold hald a million xbox bundles with halo download codes, maybe only a quarter million actaully used the vaucher to download the game.

i just find it hard to believe a company wouldnt include digital sales when they release sales numbers about a game.