By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - UN Upgrades Palestine to Non-Member Observer State

Tagged games:

Do you support this move by the UN?

Yes 71 74.74%

No 20 21.05%

Don't Know / See Results 3 3.16%

Total:94

https://rt.com/news/un-palestinians-non-member-832/

The UN General Assembly has voted to upgrade the Palestine’s diplomatic status to a “non-member observer state.” This comes despite opposition from the US and Israel and may now allow the Palestinians to access UN agencies.

The Palestinian bid has been upheld with 138 votes in favour, 9 against and 41 abstentions.

The Palestinian bid to join the global body as a full member state failed in 2011 due to lack of support at the UN Security Council. To get the “non-member observer state” status, the Palestinians only needed a simple majority at the 193-member General Assembly, such status is already held by the Vatican.

Among many other nations the Palestinian bid for an upgraded diplomatic status was backed by a number of EU states, including France, Spain, Denmark, Portugal and Austria.

The bid had overwhelming support from developing nations.

The Palestine Liberation Organization, the umbrella group of various Palestinian factions, had previously had only “permanent observer” status at the UN.

The new status now grants the Palestinians more weight in peace talks with Israel and gives it a greater chance of joining UN agencies and the International Criminal Court (ICC). Joining the ICC would give the Palestinians greater legal basis for pursuing possible war-crimes prosecutions against the Israeli military.

However despite the support, the French Foreign Minister has warned Palestinians against pursuing Israel in the International Criminal Court, calling such a move “counter-productive.”

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

Abbas really needed this based on just how badly the recent conflict hurt his status and elevated Hamas' legitimacy.

Still, it's pretty much a meaningless act that will lead nowhere as neither side's people would agree to a "fair" deal and to get peace, Palestine would have to accept an unfair deal.

As always my personal prediction is a decade or two more of stagnation at least. With eventually enough international pressure on Israel causing a unilateral agreement imposed by Israel taking what they want.

This will lead the international body will be upset about however pretty much just accept glad that the whole thing is over. This either leading to a weakened Palestinian state that isn't connected to each other or a situation where one or both parts are absorbed into Egypt or Jordan.

Bring on the ICC! Soon Israeli government officials won't be able to set foot in a civilized country.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Bring on the ICC! Soon Israeli government officials won't be able to set foot in a civilized country.

Same should happen with ''Kosovo officials'' , hopefully

Player1x3 said:
Mr Khan said:

Isn't one of their leaders being sent up the river currently? I've been hearing some buzz about them, and a Croatian guy who is getting out.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Canadian government voted against this. I'm embarrassed.

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.

Mr Khan said:
Player1x3 said:
Mr Khan said:

Isn't one of their leaders being sent up the river currently? I've been hearing some buzz about them, and a Croatian guy who is getting out.

Actually the former Kosovo PM was just cleared of all charges by the ICC along with his assosiates.

Also, considering the expediency of the Kosovo trial, and the outcome... it should show why putting faith in the ICC for anything short term (short term meaning like a decade) is foolish.

Additionally a play at the ICC would actually probably hurt more then help. Since legally, Palestinian "crimes" are more or less cut and dry. While Israeli crimes are basically interpretation due to proportinality and little way to prove intent.

In general, if this started hitting the courts. They'd be convicting Palestinians left and right before they even broke ground on an Israeli trial. If they did at all, since Israel has their own internal reviews, which usually means the ICC won't prosecute you.

Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:
Player1x3 said:
Mr Khan said:

Actually the former Kosovo PM was just cleared of all charges by the ICC along with his assosiates.

Of course he was...ICC is serbian exclusive

I don't see a problem with this at all. I mean nearly everyone agrees Palestine should eventually be a state - what is the problem in elevating their status to observer state status in the UN?