By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 UP YOY in USA with NO big exclusives. What gives?

Why was the PS3 up YOY in USA during BF week?

Great bundle deals and discounts 198 45.41%

New exclusive games (All ... 21 4.82%

More PS3 advertising 15 3.44%

A combination of multiple factors 136 31.19%

Other 16 3.67%

See results 48 11.01%

Total:434
ethomaz said:
RaiderMX said:
Wait.

You mean Sony sold less PS3 the last year?

That is strange, why did it so bad in 2011?

In the Black Friday week PS3 is up... in the rest of the year PS3 is down.

I'm aware of that. But still, what happened that Sony sold less the last year? I don't remember any big game for 360. 

Edit: Gears of War 3? It sold less than Gears 2 as far as I know, and I don't think Gears is a console-seller. Is more like the next game you have to buy once you already have the console...

Around the Network

Playstation formats seem to always be hindered by their price, maybe the black friday deals made ps3 sell as well as it did. The same could be said for the vita as well.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

BasilZero said:
man-bear-pig said:
Jay520 said:

Playstation: All Stars: Battle Royale (2012) - Playstation 3

It's not a BIG exclusive. It's a MODERATE exclusive. Gran Turismo, God of War and Uncharted are big, PSASBR isn't. See mine and Rols threads to find out why...

You just got MBP'd by Jay ;(

I know. 'Twas for a good reason though

CGI-Quality said:
RaiderMX said:
ethomaz said:
RaiderMX said:
Wait.

You mean Sony sold less PS3 the last year?

That is strange, why did it so bad in 2011?

In the Black Friday week PS3 is up... in the rest of the year PS3 is down.

I'm aware of that. But still, what happened that Sony sold less the last year? I don't remember any big game for 360. 

Hmmm...

Gears of War 3? It sold less than Gears 2 as far as I know, and I don't think Gears is a console-seller. Is more like the next game you have to buy once you already have the console...

In all seriousness, I think enragedorange had it right. That and the Super Slim. It's still surprising though considering the extremely weak year the PS3 had.

Around the Network

that proves what we all always say, exclusives are for no one!

enrageorange said:
pezus said:
man-bear-pig said:
The X360 is facing market saturation which is causing its sales to decrease. The PS3, however, doesn't have market saturation yet and is still experiencing good sales.

What if we take 360 out of the equation and view the PS3 sales in a vacuum? You'd expect it to sell very well but why did the sales even go UP?

Last year the $200 ps3 bundles actually sold out everywhere very quickly. 

This year they were in stock in some stores even past black friday. Considering the massive shipment increase the ps3 showed for the end of September it seems that last year sony didn't meet the demand for $200 ps3s but this year they were able to.

As to why they didn't ship enough ps3s last year, I would guess last year PS3s weren't profitable at $200, but this year they were so sony had no reason to not try to sell as many as possible at that price, that or sony simply underestimated demand last year.

I second your views

It has a lot of exclusives so I'd think people would buy it and then buy exclusives they've missed. Multiplatform will of course help too

ethomaz said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
i have no idea. looks like i was worried bout nothing, though with a big exclusive, PS3 likely would have sold more.

Anyway that's a good question... whitch exclusive moved hardware in US???

Japan had Final Fantasy, others JRPG, MGS4 and One Piece.
Europe had Gran Turismo 5.

But US? I can't remember any hardware seller exclusive... the last time the sales exploded in US was because the Slim launch (2009) and not a exclusive game.

yea i think pezus answered that perfectly. UC3 500,000k 1st wk U.S.

CGI-Quality said:
RaiderMX said:
CGI-Quality said:
RaiderMX said:

Hmmm...

Gears of war 3

Gears of War 3? It sold less than Gears 2 as far as I know, and I don't think Gears is a console-seller. Is more like the next game you have to buy once you already have the console...

You asked what big game they had and it didn't sell that much less than Gears 2 either.

Ok, I'll give you that. Since is more the fact that Gears never was too atractive for me. But, I think I remember (I have a very bad memory) that PS3 did have many great exclusive games in 2011...