By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is a MAJOR flop - we need to talk about it

JayWood2010 said:

First off it is a 75 not a 76. 

Secondly without bundles Im still calling 700k-900k.  This is not some well known franchise like Ratchet and Clank.  Yes it has recognizeable characters but that doesn't mean it will sell either.  This has not got good reviews and the majority of the time when games get reviewed badly (hardcore)  they don't sell well.  People using LBP, Uncharted, and InFamous are also leaving out that they are well recieved from both fans and critics.

Thanks for mentioning that. The fact that it's a new IP is even a bigger advantage for PABR. Established IPs tend to be much more frontloaded than new IPs. While new IPs tend to have better legs in proportion to their launches. With that said, we should expect PABR to have better legs than Ratchet and Clank. 

Around the Network
pezus said:
Barozi said:
pezus said:

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/13108/infamous/USA/
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/12390/littlebigplanet/USA/

There is just so much wrong with that comparison and you know it.

Not exactly. I'm using this as proof that many Sony games open low but leg it out to the millions. Some people here are saying this game won't reach a million LT, which makes me laugh.

And there is an equal amount that started low (some even higher than PSALBR) and couldn't make to a million.

Starhawk, Twisted Metal, SOCOM 4, Haze, White Knight Chronicles, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, MLB The Show to name a few.

Considering the gen (for Sony) is almost over at this point I think that sales under 1m is certainly possible. Obviously it will be clearer after Christmas.

"Sony games don't sell on Sony systems"

I see that said a lot, and no offense, but it's kind of stupid. Like, really stupid. Uncharted, God of War, and Gran Turismo aren't Sony games all of a sudden? Are they secretly being released on other systems? Perhaps it should be amended to a much more intelligent, "some Sony games don't sell on Sony systems"? But I guess that doesn't sound nearly as flame-bait-ish and won't go over nearly as well in the fanboy arsenal.

On topic, I've said it before, but I don't think All-Stars was expected to be a big success. It's got way too much competition, especially at this time of year, and it's the kind of game not many people are just going to run out an buy. I believe Sony's intention with it is to have it as their "party franchise," mostly intended for bundles and as a free game on PS+. It was never an IP that was going to start with a bang but rather one they're going to try to grow with future installments. I think their focus right now is building up a user base over time and having All-Stars as an asset for the Playstation brand rather than as it's own thing.

Yes, I know that's not a actual counter to the "LOLOL it didn't sell good nya nya a boo boo" posts, but I'm cool with that. I don't really like to get involved with that, makes me feel kind of ashamed of being a gamer. I'd rather just be reasonable.

pezus said:
crissindahouse said:
pezus said:

That is not correct. Just look at Halo 4 on Amazon (4 stars) or metacritic (6.5). Forza Horizon (4 stars). NSMBU (4 stars). LBPKarting (4 stars).  Starhawk (4 stars). Twisted Metal (4 stars). All this while PSAS has 4.5 stars. You would expect some Nintendo/Smash Bros fans to downplay the game, but it looks like it's ineffective.

like i said, i also believe word of mouth will sell some units but the downplay of smash brother fans isn't ineffective, they just didn't downplay it on metacritics or amazon like you see if you search for the percentual amount of 1 or 2 star reviews. psasbr has only 2 out of 45 reviews with one or two stars, that's not even 5%.so which smash brother fans did that? maybe 2.

Yep, which tells me that they just stopped caring about downplaying it and are ignoring it instead. You'd expect "bad games" (his words, not mine) to get lower than 4.5 stars on Amazon, no?

Using your logic.  Resident Revelations 5/5, resident evil 6 Anthology 4/5, ZombiU 4.5/5, kinectimals 4.5/5, kinect sports 4.5/5 kinect rush 4.5/5

Yepp all those titles must be the most amazing games ever!!!!

pezus said:
Kynes said:
Ah, I see Pezus is doing his community management work.

LOL no, I'm just thinking that the paycheck must be big if they pay you per post.

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
JayWood2010 said:

First off it is a 75 not a 76. 

Secondly without bundles Im still calling 700k-900k.  This is not some well known franchise like Ratchet and Clank.  Yes it has recognizeable characters but that doesn't mean it will sell either.  This has not got good reviews and the majority of the time when games get reviewed badly (hardcore)  they don't sell well.  People using LBP, Uncharted, and InFamous are also leaving out that they are well recieved from both fans and critics.

Thanks for mentioning that. The fact that it's a new IP is even a bigger advantage for PABR. Established IPs tend to be much more frontloaded than new IPs. While new IPs tend to have better legs in proportion to their launches. With that said, we should expect PABR to have better legs than Ratchet and Clank. 

Please give some data because I can  name tons and tons of games that prove that wrong.  And how about this.  Start naming stuff that I don't know has ratings similar to PSABR

pezus said:
JayWood2010 said:

Using your logic.  Resident Revelations 5/5, resident evil 6 Anthology 4/5, ZombiU 4.5/5, kinectimals 4.5/5, kinect sports 4.5/5 kinect rush 4.5/5

Hold up...did these games not have good sales? Is that what you're saying? Because if you are, you're simply wrong and need to look up how much they sold

Didn't say that.  I'm saying according to you amazon reviews are what justifies a good game.  Now that I know this my eyes are wide open

pezus said:
Kynes said:
pezus said:
Kynes said:
Ah, I see Pezus is doing his community management work.

LOL no, I'm just thinking that the paycheck must be big if they pay you per post.

In a perfect world...

In a perfect world community managers wouldn't be needed.

OT: I'm sure this game will have legs, but I think Sony made a huge mistake, and it is a long semi open beta. It provided so much time to play the game, I'm sure lots of people won't buy it because they are already tired of it/they have played it too much.

Barozi said:

And there is an equal amount that started low (some even higher than PSALBR) and couldn't make to a million.

Starhawk, Twisted Metal, SOCOM 4, Haze, White Knight Chronicles, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, MLB The Show to name a few.

Considering the gen (for Sony) is almost over at this point I think that sales under 1m is certainly possible. Obviously it will be clearer after Christmas.

I already mentioned the problem with Twisted Metal.

Socom 4's USA launch compares with PABR. In USA, it went on to sell 500-600k, about what we expect with PABR. In Europe, Socom 4 sold under 20k FW, so it doesn't really isn't comparable with PABR since it's likely to be much lower than PABR.

Haze was considered one of the worst games ever by reviewers and fans (yet stil sold nearly 1m). PABR isn't nearly as poorly reviewed.

WKC is a Japanese-centric game with very little worldwide appeal.

NGS2's USA launch is much lower than PABR, yet it went on to sell nearly 500k there, about what we expect for PABR. It only sold 20k in Europe, so it doesn't really compare PABR since it's likely to be much lower than PABR.

MLB: The Show only released in North America. It opens to about 150k in NA and goes on to sell 600-800k, which would actually be pretty good for PABR.

The only point you really have is Starhawk, even though that opened to nearly one-third of PABR's numbers in USA.

pezus said:
JayWood2010 said:
pezus said:
JayWood2010 said:

Hold up...did these games not have good sales? Is that what you're saying? Because if you are, you're simply wrong and need to look up how much they sold

Didn't say that.  I'm saying according to you amazon reviews are what justifies a good game.  Now that I know this my eyes are wide open

No, I was using amazon reviews to say that the people who already have the game thought it was great, and thus it would get a good word of mouth and thus hopefully legs.

Yeah I'm sure that is what you meant.  That is why you brought up things to make your opinion sound better right?  That is why you brought Halo in it as well because it's not like people havent been saying it's the best halo or anything.  No, Pezus you are right in every way.  Amazon is a clear indication on what the best games are.  In the mean time comparing a game that sells 120k in the first week to a game that sells 3m+ in a day is a little foolish if you ask me but ok.  

Disregarding the childish arguments, what di you expect this title to sell in the first week? You know since you know everything and always have an answer