By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It's Official: Wii Mini releasing December 7th for $99! Exclusive to... Canada?!

dat retro look.

Around the Network
Gamerace said:
I don't understand this. No wi-fi? A ton of people are using their Wii's for Netflix, and they just added a Youtube channel. I see it's also manual loading discs now. :/

http://plug-in.bestbuy.ca/t5/Visit-the-Plug-in-Blog/Nintendo-Wii-Mini-Ready-to-Launch-December-7th-for-99-99/ba-p/53938

I guess Canada is a test market for this, being a close approximation of the US market. If it sells well here without underminding WiiU sales, then it'll roll out elsewhere.

Personally though, I'd never get it without internet, not even as a secondary unit. I'd just get a used one which goes for $79 - with GC/Internet support.

My thoughts exactly...  I don't see how this is a good value when they drop internet from it.  So now you can't stream or play online.  Not having ability to connect to the internet drops the price in my eyes to about 60-80 dollars.  One would think that they could keep WiFi or USB port to hook up the ethernet adapter and still fit it in the smaller size.

Chark said:

Is it just me or does that look like its the same size as the Wii?

Am I taking crazy pills?

They can hardly make it narrower, or a disc wouldn't fit in. So it's shallower, maybe a little shorter. Most importantly, cheaper to make.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

No internet capabilities.....

dahuman said:

We had a thread that lasted 100s of posts longer than it should have over Wii U having no ethernet port. This however is more of an issue than having no ethernet port.

Around the Network
dahuman said:

Yeah weird, but then - I haven't been online with the Wii for literally years. Tried 2-3 VC games the first years, and played Mario Kart online for several months. That's it. So actually I could do without WiFi. And it's the best looking Nintendo console in a long time... Wii and WiiU look totally unremarkable in comparison. Hmm hmm hmm.

So it's a Wii that only plays games.. for $99

it should launch World wide for $89.99

mM
OneTwoThree said:
dahuman said:

Yeah weird, but then - I haven't been online with the Wii for literally years. Tried 2-3 VC games the first years, and played Mario Kart online for several months. That's it. So actually I could do without WiFi. And it's the best looking Nintendo console in a long time... Wii and WiiU look totally unremarkable in comparison. Hmm hmm hmm.

Clicked on your profile and saw you live in Australia.  I can see why you haven't been online in awhile since you don't have access to Netflix.

darkknightkryta said:
While it does have the grooves of an nes, lack of GC support is a missed opportunity for me.

I agree, but they already pullet that out of the current Wii model, so why would they bring it back again?

Internet connectivity, shouldn't be that difficult to leave it. Hope it hasn't been left out.

EDIT: looks liek internet has been left out.

The only positive about this WiiMini is that it looks retro lol.

Cobretti2 said:
darkknightkryta said:
While it does have the grooves of an nes, lack of GC support is a missed opportunity for me.

I agree, but they already pullet that out of the current Wii model, so why would they bring it back again?

Internet connectivity, shouldn't be that difficult to leave it. Hope it hasn't been left out.

EDIT: looks liek internet has been left out.

The only positive about this WiiMini is that it looks retro lol.

I still have GC games to finish :(.