By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U 'Has A Horrible, Slow CPU' Says Metro Last Light Dev

I will have shaders and texture quality thank you

Around the Network
VGKing said:

GPU doesn't make up for the slow CPU. See how he said how physics and gameplay run on the CPU? This is already hurting ports of current-gen games, next-gen it might not even get ports at all for CPU intensive games.(I'm assuming PS4/720 CPU will be much faster than Wii U here)

It is "hurting" ports of current-gen games because truth be told, the developers aren't putting in any effort to adjust to the Wii U infrastructure. And that infrastructure is clearly different enough from PS3's / xbox360's to warrant this outpouring of press/backlash from the gaming community.

Mr Khan said:

PC-centric developers really have no say here. These people are going to be CPU-reliant.

They don't know that physics is mostly off-loaded to the GPU in the new setup, for one.

On the WiiU? Dream on.  The GPU is fully occupied with rendering to TWO targets (and as it seems looking at launch games, 1080p is the high ground). No way can you bodge down the WiiU GPU with physics, unless you wanr to see 480p games. There are just so many things a 15Watt GPU can do, and physics is not one of it.

drkohler said:
Mr Khan said:

PC-centric developers really have no say here. These people are going to be CPU-reliant.

They don't know that physics is mostly off-loaded to the GPU in the new setup, for one.

On the WiiU? Dream on.  The GPU is fully occupied with rendering to TWO targets (and as it seems looking at launch games, 1080p is the high ground). No way can you bodge down the WiiU GPU with physics, unless you wanr to see 480p games. There are just so many things a 15Watt GPU can do, and physics is not one of it.

WiiU doesnt render the image two times, it does once and then its streamed

DieAppleDie said:
drkohler said:
Mr Khan said:

Huh? what does rendering to two targets (screen for game, tablet for game control gadgets) have to do with rendering images twice?

Around the Network
drkohler said:
DieAppleDie said:
drkohler said:
Mr Khan said:

Huh? what does rendering to two targets (screen for game, tablet for game control gadgets) have to do with rendering images twice?

oops my bad  ....stoned...

but i dont see the issue of "the GPU is too busy" you tried to point out

both the DS and 3DS do that also, just take a look at RE: Revelations and Monster Hunter 3 and 4 and games like C.O.P and Metroid Prime Hunterse for the DS clearly outclass the 32 and 128 bit consoles respectively

drkohler said:
DieAppleDie said:
drkohler said:
Mr Khan said:

The other thing you're missing is that this is a different kind of GPU, a GPGPU. It's meant to take more responsibility.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

sperrico87 said:
Blaming the Wii U CPU when their company is on the verge of financial collapse? Classy. Not a very good scapegoat, though.

Having a fourth SKU for Last Light would add to sales and help the company survive (if it lasts that long). If THQ fails to start repaying Wells Fargo in January I think it's all over for that company. Sell off the studios they have left, let publishers with money in the bank finish those games. I really want South Park Stick of Truth.

A Wii U version isn't financially viable, not only would it cost too much to make, it probably wouldn't sell well. 

Teriol said:
the sony situation don't let them lauch a monster system ps4 is not going to be a monster maybe microsoft can lauch a system like that, but i think the diferences in graphics are going to be indiscernible in all the 3 systems, well maybe graphics whores are going to see the differences :) lol

None of the next-gen systems will be "monsters". 

@bold
Keep dreaming. You do know the Wii U is sold at a very, very small loss right? Imagine what a $400 console sold at a loss would be capable of. 

VGKing said:
Teriol said:
the sony situation don't let them lauch a monster system ps4 is not going to be a monster maybe microsoft can lauch a system like that, but i think the diferences in graphics are going to be indiscernible in all the 3 systems, well maybe graphics whores are going to see the differences :) lol

None of the next-gen systems will be "monsters". 

@bold
Keep dreaming. You do know the Wii U is sold at a very, very small loss right? Imagine what a $400 console sold at a loss would be capable of. 

are you talking about ps4? a $400 machine sold at a lost? you still thnik sony can afford a system to be sell at a lost? dear friend you are the dreamer here.

34 years playing games.