By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U 'Has A Horrible, Slow CPU' Says Metro Last Light Dev

walsufnir said:

i think that ibm mainly offers the compilers and not nintendo ;)  they have more knowledge in compilers and know quite good what their cpu should be used like. the rest is well written.

It's still up too Nintendo to supply them with the dev kitts I would think, at least I wouldn't think that devs would have to go to IBM directly to get the compilers. Tho I am sure that IBM engineers worked on the compilers.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
mai said:

I remember him saying totally different a while ago: "Мы еще даже не начали работать над Wii U версией, но я точно уверен что она будет выглядеть лучше чем PS3/X360 версий, так как над ней мы будем работать отдельно." (We haven't even started working on Wii U version, but I almost sure it'll look better than PS3 or X360 version, since we're going to work on it separately).

So was he dissappointed in hardware that badly?

It is possible.

Nah, my guess, he's a PC developer with unrealistic expectations of what consoles can do in general, wasn't a fan of PS3 as well.

zarx said:
walsufnir said:

i think that ibm mainly offers the compilers and not nintendo ;)  they have more knowledge in compilers and know quite good what their cpu should be used like. the rest is well written.

It's still up too Nintendo to supply them with the dev kitts I would think, at least I wouldn't think that devs would have to go to IBM directly to get the compilers. Tho I am sure that IBM engineers worked on the compilers.

well, furthermore i think amd is quite involved in the dev-kits, also. interesting topic, i think! would like to know more on this. especially what about contracts to support the devkits? i think they are updated quite often software-wise.

mai said:

Nah, my guess, he's a PC developer with unrealistic expectations of what consoles can do in general, wasn't a fan of PS3 as well.

since when?

“That’s probably more of a business decision, and one that I wasn’t part of when I was at THQ. The studio architect of the 4A engine did a lot of the initial work on the PS3 first, just to get to grips with the architecture. A lot of the early prototypes you saw were of the PC version… You’d probably have to ask someone up in senior THQ finance to find out why we didn’t greenlight a PS3 version at the time, but there’s no reason why the engine wouldn’t work on PS3.”

http://www.vg247.com/2010/02/25/interview-metro-2033s-dmitry-glukhovsky-and-huw-beynon/#more-82352

Oh and from the horses mouth 

"The PS3 is not that different... We use 'fibres' to 'emulate' a six-thread CPU, and then each task can spawn a SPURS (SPU) job and switch to another fibre. This is a kind of PPU off-loading, which is transparent to the system. The end result of this beautiful (apart from somewhat restricting) model is that we have perfectly linear scaling up to the hardware deficiency limits."

"For me personally, the PS3 GPU (they like to call it RSX for some reason) was the safe choice because I was involved in the early design stages of NV40 and it's like a homeland: RSX is a direct derivative of that architecture. Reading Sony's docs it was like, 'Ha! They don't understand where those cycles are lost! They coded sub-optimal code-path in GCM for that thing!' All of that kind of stuff..." "

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-metro2033-article

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

hahaha omg thats more like it! everything is back to normal reports of Nintendo's impending doom something we are all used to hearing and reading about! ..

Lets see ..
- gpu not strong enough (pre-order cancelled)..
- ram being slow (pre-order cancelled)...
- cpu now reportedly being slow!.. lol thats it!.... Im cancelling my pre-order for the third time!!!!

now I wait for the next bit of news so I cancel my pre-order for the fourth time! =)

Around the Network
BluGamer23 said:
hahaha omg thats more like it! everything is back to normal reports of Nintendo's impending doom something we are all used to hearing and reading about! ..

Lets see ..
- cpu now reportedly being slow!.. lol thats it!.... Im cancelling my pre-order for the third time!!!!

now I wait for the next bit of news so I cancel my pre-order for the fourth time! =)

your list is too short.

- no built in lan port (pre-order cancelled)

- zombieU got a 4.5/10 for one review (pre-order cancelled)

- Batman failed to load ONE texture whils tbatman hanging of the edge (pre-order cancelled)

- I can't profit of these on eBay as I thought I would (5x pre-order cancelled)

- Update takes 2houts to downlaod (pre-order cancelled)

- VC doesn't work on gamepad (pre-order cancelled)

- WiiU goes into WII Mode to offer full backwards compadibility instead of emulation software in WiiU menu (pre-order cancelled).

- Gamepad battery size is 1500mAh (pre-order cancelled)

- the shape is to long (pre-order cancelled)

I am sure i missed stuff.

Cobretti2 said:
BluGamer23 said:

Lets see ..

your list is too short.

- no built in lan port (pre-order cancelled)

- zombieU got a 4.5/10 for one review (pre-order cancelled)

- Batman failed to load ONE texture whils tbatman hanging of the edge (pre-order cancelled)

- I can't profit of these on eBay as I thought I would (5x pre-order cancelled)

- Update takes 2houts to downlaod (pre-order cancelled)

- VC doesn't work on gamepad (pre-order cancelled)

- WiiU goes into WII Mode to offer full backwards compadibility instead of emulation software in WiiU menu (pre-order cancelled).

- Gamepad battery size is 1500mAh (pre-order cancelled)

- the shape is to long (pre-order cancelled)

I am sure i missed stuff.

ahh shit thanks.. I must of fallen asleep!.. but I was only considering hardware side of things lol.. but its a damn long list ! .. wiiU is doomz and all is well in the world of internet forums! 

zarx said:
mai said:

since when?

“That’s probably more of a business decision, and one that I wasn’t part of when I was at THQ. The studio architect of the 4A engine did a lot of the initial work on the PS3 first, just to get to grips with the architecture. A lot of the early prototypes you saw were of the PC version… You’d probably have to ask someone up in senior THQ finance to find out why we didn’t greenlight a PS3 version at the time, but there’s no reason why the engine wouldn’t work on PS3.”

http://www.vg247.com/2010/02/25/interview-metro-2033s-dmitry-glukhovsky-and-huw-beynon/#more-82352

Oh and from the horses mouth 

"The PS3 is not that different... We use 'fibres' to 'emulate' a six-thread CPU, and then each task can spawn a SPURS (SPU) job and switch to another fibre. This is a kind of PPU off-loading, which is transparent to the system. The end result of this beautiful (apart from somewhat restricting) model is that we have perfectly linear scaling up to the hardware deficiency limits."

"For me personally, the PS3 GPU (they like to call it RSX for some reason) was the safe choice because I was involved in the early design stages of NV40 and it's like a homeland: RSX is a direct derivative of that architecture. Reading Sony's docs it was like, 'Ha! They don't understand where those cycles are lost! They coded sub-optimal code-path in GCM for that thing!' All of that kind of stuff..." "

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-metro2033-article

Well I guess I don't have to reply anymore. I forgot about that quote, he's quite an interesting individual though I suspect the reason why he didn't do a PS3 version is some back handed funding from Microsoft. It was an easy way to snag another exclusive I guess.

Tease.

zarx said:
mai said:

since when?

That's because the engine was tailored for PS3 from the beginning, being lowest common denominator and, I quote, "more complex to work on", as it was planned by THQ. You know, typical stuff about the PS3 development. But eventually PS3 version was cancelled by THQ, since devs weren't able to meet the deadline with acceptable quality within 2 months, while they did manage to port on X360 in 19 days of crunch time.

well, this confirms more or less that 90% of core gamers 3rd party games will miss Ninty's console once more, first GTA V and now this, the trend will continue and become fashion...

nice try Nintendo

of course, WiiU will still be the best console of the next generation in terms of fun, so it will sell the most, with Ninty's great games, like it's predecessor

and before you speak your sarcastic shitm, yes i'm serious  :P

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^