By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wiiu RAM 43% slower than PS360 RAM

think-man said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
think-man said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
think-man said:
So does that mean the WiiU is worse? can't understand this sorry, didn't pay much attention in my hardware class lol

yes...well at least that's what I understood from reading the discussion over at gaf

:/ so if this is not as good as the ps3/360 now then how far behind will it be when the nextbox and ps4 are out? or is this not really a big deal?

keep in mind I'm no tech guy..so zarx or gaf would be a better resource for you on the subject. From what I understand however this is pretty bad. If the cpu related rumors are also true then this system truly can be on par or maybe slightly more powerful than the ps360. PS4/720 won't have to do much in order to get a significant leap over this.

Also graphic comparisons are coming out now for games like batman. I saw one comparison image that...I hope is doctored to bait others, cuz it looked pretty bad for wiiu.

That batman on the wiiU :/

What?

Around the Network

omg - 64-bit-wide bus? this is way too low, as far as the data is correct. this will result in a lot of stalls - traffic jam in a computer...

TheBardsSong said:
think-man said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
think-man said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
think-man said:
So does that mean the WiiU is worse? can't understand this sorry, didn't pay much attention in my hardware class lol

yes...well at least that's what I understood from reading the discussion over at gaf

:/ so if this is not as good as the ps3/360 now then how far behind will it be when the nextbox and ps4 are out? or is this not really a big deal?

keep in mind I'm no tech guy..so zarx or gaf would be a better resource for you on the subject. From what I understand however this is pretty bad. If the cpu related rumors are also true then this system truly can be on par or maybe slightly more powerful than the ps360. PS4/720 won't have to do much in order to get a significant leap over this.

Also graphic comparisons are coming out now for games like batman. I saw one comparison image that...I hope is doctored to bait others, cuz it looked pretty bad for wiiu.

That batman on the wiiU :/

From experience launch titles are poor comparisons. I can honestly say that the x360 and PS3 launch titles didn't seem like any significant leap over the best their predecessors offered.

You are comparing a system that developers had six years to master with a brand new one.

Yes, I understand why people do this and it does in it's own way point to a system's capabilities but it is by no means conclusive.

BTW why is there a flying saucer only in the wii u screen shot?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-21-a-chat-about-the-power-of-the-wii-u-with-the-developer-of-a-wii-u-launch-title

Is it true that Wii U has worse cpu than 360?

Single channel dual channel (would double the GB/s) ? What about the edram? Talking about this is useless as long as not all info is available.

Around the Network

The Batman pictures everyone is comparing are all like six months old. Try comparing video of the final product.

runqvist said:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-21-a-chat-about-the-power-of-the-wii-u-with-the-developer-of-a-wii-u-launch-title

Is it true that Wii U has worse cpu than 360?

That article has been on this forum more times than I've been. Maybe it's true, maybe not.

The interseting bit is the bit below as it supports my thinking in that it is wrong to compare launch titles on face value with that of older systems.

"With the Wii U being new hardware, we're still getting used to developing for it, so there are still a lot of things we don't know yet to bring out the most of the processing power. There's a lot that still needs to be explored in that area."

Why haven't they dissected the CPU/GPU chips yet? We've pretty much known about the RAM for some time now (2GB GDDR3 equivalent, 32MB eDRAM) . More interested to see what the actual specs of the CPU/GPU are if that's at all possible.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Not long ago (15 days ago to be more precise), Not Enough Shaders had an interview with Shin’en about WiiU where they said

The CPU and GPU are a good match. As said before, today’s hardware has bottlenecks with memory throughput when you don’t care about your coding style and data layout. This is true for any hardware and can’t be only cured by throwing more megahertz and cores on it. Fortunately Nintendo made very wise choices for cache layout, ram latency and ram size to work against these pitfalls. Also Nintendo took care that other components like the Wii U GamePad screen streaming, or the built-in camera don’t put a burden on the CPU or GPU.

and

When testing our first code on Wii U we were amazed how much we could throw at it without any slowdowns, at that time we even had zero optimizations. The performance problem of hardware nowadays is not clock speed but ram latency. Fortunately Nintendo took great efforts to ensure developers can really work around that typical bottleneck on Wii U. They put a lot of thought on how CPU, GPU, caches and memory controllers work together to amplify your code speed. For instance, with only some tiny changes we were able to optimize certain heavy load parts of the rendering pipeline to 6x of the original speed, and that was even without using any of the extra cores.

source: http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/11/03/shinen-mega-interview-harnessing-the-wii-u-power

How does that mix with this news?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

Not long ago (15 gays ago to be more precise), Not Enough Shaders had an interview with Shin’en about WiiU where they said

The CPU and GPU are a good match. As said before, today’s hardware has bottlenecks with memory throughput when you don’t care about your coding style and data layout. This is true for any hardware and can’t be only cured by throwing more megahertz and cores on it. Fortunately Nintendo made very wise choices for cache layout, ram latency and ram size to work against these pitfalls. Also Nintendo took care that other components like the Wii U GamePad screen streaming, or the built-in camera don’t put a burden on the CPU or GPU.

and

When testing our first code on Wii U we were amazed how much we could throw at it without any slowdowns, at that time we even had zero optimizations. The performance problem of hardware nowadays is not clock speed but ram latency. Fortunately Nintendo took great efforts to ensure developers can really work around that typical bottleneck on Wii U. They put a lot of thought on how CPU, GPU, caches and memory controllers work together to amplify your code speed. For instance, with only some tiny changes we were able to optimize certain heavy load parts of the rendering pipeline to 6x of the original speed, and that was even without using any of the extra cores.

source: http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/11/03/shinen-mega-interview-harnessing-the-wii-u-power

How does that mix with this news?

Lol at bold.

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David