By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Opinion: The Vita Problem

F0X said:
JoeTheBro said:
F0X said:
JoeTheBro said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

It's an infinite loop: The Vita is not selling due to lack of high quality games, and the lack of high quality games is due to the Vita not selling.

Not to mention that handheld consoles are casual by default while the Vita is trying to attract the "hardcore" audience.

You know, by saying that you are saying the 3DS has a lack of high quality games? Going off of metacritic both system's games are neck and neck in quality and quantity.

Really? I could've sworn that 3DS has more 90+ games. Let's also not forget that Virtue's Last Reward is on both systems. Which Metacritic seems to forget...

EDIT: Oh wait. I guess they added reviews since I last checked. But not all of the 3DS version's reviews are there, so the metascore is skewed. The 9.5 from IGN should be for both versions, according to the review. It even said that both versions were basically equal in that review. :P

I really don't care about VLR, it's on both systems... Going off of just exclusives the Vita is neck to neck with the 3DS in terms of quality and grows at a similar rate. Of course since the 3DS has been out for twice as long it beats the Vita in terms of quantity. That doesn't heavily factor in when saying the vita has a "lack of high quality games."

I'll grant you that the 3DS has had a head start, but the Vita exclusive list does not impress me. I'm not seeing much in the way of killer apps - high quality games that move systems - and that's what the Vita desperately needs. I'd argue that the 3DS has at least three, and even more if we count Japanese titles. What does Vita have? Uncharted? Looking back at Metacritic, that doesn't touch the likes of Super Mario 3D Land.

No, I think Sony's approach is almost completely wrong. Vita needs more games like LBP, ones that are good exclusive games that work perfectly in a handheld context, and apply console-level (or nearly so) presentation to them. No more sqeezing Uncharted/Assassin's Creed/CoD onto Vita in hopes that a big name will move units. Smart handheld game design will move units (though if Sony can manage to attach a big name to the product, then that's a bonus).

Well to a Sony fan it has at least a couple killer apps but I completely agree. If a Vita game is associated as being a console game, it will be reviewed as one. Uncharted is better than any other game like it on portables yet it is lacking compared to the later console games. LBP Vita worked because it is actually better than LPB2. If Sony is making a Vita game with a console IP, it better be just as good as the version on PS3. I think they are learning though since apart from cross-buy games (which are a 1 to 1 port), its lineup is mostly new ips.

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
F0X said:
JoeTheBro said:
F0X said:

Really? I could've sworn that 3DS has more 90+ games. Let's also not forget that Virtue's Last Reward is on both systems. Which Metacritic seems to forget...

EDIT: Oh wait. I guess they added reviews since I last checked. But not all of the 3DS version's reviews are there, so the metascore is skewed. The 9.5 from IGN should be for both versions, according to the review. It even said that both versions were basically equal in that review. :P

I really don't care about VLR, it's on both systems... Going off of just exclusives the Vita is neck to neck with the 3DS in terms of quality and grows at a similar rate. Of course since the 3DS has been out for twice as long it beats the Vita in terms of quantity. That doesn't heavily factor in when saying the vita has a "lack of high quality games."

I'll grant you that the 3DS has had a head start, but the Vita exclusive list does not impress me. I'm not seeing much in the way of killer apps - high quality games that move systems - and that's what the Vita desperately needs. I'd argue that the 3DS has at least three, and even more if we count Japanese titles. What does Vita have? Uncharted? Looking back at Metacritic, that doesn't touch the likes of Super Mario 3D Land.

No, I think Sony's approach is almost completely wrong. Vita needs more games like LBP, ones that are good exclusive games that work perfectly in a handheld context, and apply console-level (or nearly so) presentation to them. No more sqeezing Uncharted/Assassin's Creed/CoD onto Vita in hopes that a big name will move units. Smart handheld game design will move units (though if Sony can manage to attach a big name to the product, then that's a bonus).

Well to a Sony fan it has at least a couple killer apps but I completely agree. If a Vita game is associated as being a console game, it will be reviewed as one. Uncharted is better than any other game like it on portables yet it is lacking compared to the later console games. LBP Vita worked because it is actually better than LPB2. If Sony is making a Vita game with a console IP, it better be just as good as the version on PS3. I think they are learning though since apart from cross-buy games (which are a 1 to 1 port), its lineup is mostly new ips.

"To a Sony fan" is all well and good, but I could also say that the 3DS has at least five killer aps for Nintendo fans, as opposed to the mainstream gamer crowd.

Golden Abyss is indeed better than any game of its particular type of a portable system. Yet, I don't think it adapted perfectly well to its system. I've heard about some less-than-ideal mechanics based around Vita features, which either means the developer doesn't know how to execute a Vita Uncharted game to its potential or the Unchated game has little business being on a Vita.

@bold That's a good way for Sony to shoot themselves in the foot. Vita is no PS3 (especially power-wise) and shouldn't be treated as such. If LBP Vita is better than LBP2 (which, by the way, has no basis in metascore), then it's because LittleBigPlanet is better suited to the Vita than the PS3. For example, the PS3 doesn't have a touchscreen to assist in level editing, which if I recall was a major point in the game's favor. Point being, the best way to one-up a console experience is to play to the platform's strengths and use smart design, not try to copy paste.

I don't get cross-buy or the purpose of 1:1 ports. Maybe it's just me and the fact that I don't buy handhelds to play console games on, because to me that's counterintuitive and downright inferior to playing a game that is designed for the unique features of the handheld and the typical habits of a handheld gamer. Even so, some ports don't bother be too much. I can imagine playing Sly 4 on Vita, particularly since the developer is apparently designing that version a bit differently.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

RolStoppable said:
JoeTheBro said:

Now that's what I'd agree with. NSMB2 might not even be that great of a game and yet it alone has helped shift more 3DSs than all Vita games combined.

NSMB2 is way better than any Vita game released so far. Except Sound Shapes, for obvious reasons.

I'd disagree. It's old and tired. I was crying of boredom playing that game. But that's they way any Mario game has been for me over the years. I even hated the critically acclaimed Galaxy 1 and 2. Little big planet on the other hand has a whole level of charm that Mario has let go stale. So opinions go figure.

RolStoppable said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

I'd disagree. It's old and tired. I was crying of boredom playing that game. But that's they way any Mario game has been for me over the years. I even hated the critically acclaimed Galaxy 1 and 2. Little big planet on the other hand has a whole level of charm that Mario has let go stale. So opinions go figure.

Opinions don't bother me as long as reality has a Nintendo bias.

Well I guess that's going to bother you. As gamers a fickle bunch. One day Nintendo is on top the next they struggle for 15 years. Glad to see them make a come back as I would have hated to see Nintendo become the next sega. The big 3 all ride a Knife edge, anyone can slip and get cut at any time. That's what many gamers on this site tend to forget, no one stays on top for ever. But having the under 15 crowed has always given Nintendo the upper hand when it come to hand held gaming. Home consoles, now that's a whole different story.

So vita games are on 4 GB card and developers cant use bigger cards be cause the vita cant handle them ?

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Around the Network

there is no vita problem... its meeting sonys expectations.. whats wrong with you people!

coolguy said:
So vita games are on 4 GB card and developers cant use bigger cards be cause the vita cant handle them ?

The standard vita game card is 4 GB but 8 gig cards are avalible. Problem is the bigger the game the more they cost. The Devs know theres only so much money a handheld game will bring and 40 dollars is the breaking point. So they have to keep that in mind when making any portable game.

Selling 4 thousand vitas week in japan is meeting sonys expectations lol

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

RolStoppable said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

Well I guess that's going to bother you. As gamers a fickle bunch. One day Nintendo is on top the next they struggle for 15 years. Glad to see them make a come back as I would have hated to see Nintendo become the next sega. The big 3 all ride a Knife edge, anyone can slip and get cut at any time. That's what many gamers on this site tend to forget, no one stays on top for ever. But having the under 15 crowed has always given Nintendo the upper hand when it come to hand held gaming. Home consoles, now that's a whole different story.

You contradicted yourself. Nintendo is has been and will be on top forever when it comes to handheld gaming.

No i didn't. And nothing is forever.

Adinnieken said:
justinian said:
And this is me thinking that the vita problem was that no one was buying it. What do I know?

Even if the console had addressed all the issues you mentioned it would still be a poor seller.

And it's poor sales that is any console's biggest problem...regardless of it's capabilities.

Sony needed to released a handheld that was truly revolutionary. Too many consumers the vita is not, that's it's problem.

If it had included a base amount of memory of 16-32GB internally, it would be selling better.

If it had included a base memory of 16-32GB it would cost much more and many people did not buy it in the first place because they thought it was too expensive as it is.

99.99% of your average potential consumer don't care how much memory it has.

The DS (and now 3DS) didn't kick butt because of it's huge memory and powerful hardware. Proof if ever you need it that it is not about memory or power.